Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
ch1ng_chung

DR Pure Blues strings

What is it with these strings? A special formula or something?

I've used Ernie Balls (all kinds), Elixir (once or twice), and D'Addarios before, and they all turned black within 2 days and lost most of their useful tone within 2 weeks, even the 12 gauge ones. Stopped using Elixirs because their tone was thin from when I put them on, and D'Addarios got so grippy after the first 2 days that it became impossible to slide on them.

Then in December, I picked up a strange blue box of strings named DR Pure Blues, and for some reason these strings have kept all of their tone and color within the 2 months I've had them. And I thought Ernie Balls were good benders; the DR Pure Blues allow me to easily go up 3 steps on each string, whereas I had to struggle to bend 2 steps with the Ernie Balls.

I've even broke the B string (DR) and replaced it with an Ernie Ball 3 weeks ago. That B string is now dark grey and very hard to slide on, with visible lines where it has made contact with the frets, while every other string is still sparkly metallic.

I can't say what the heck is with these strings, but it's obviously not what Elixir's doing, because these strings feel better and have lasted longer than Elixirs
ch1ng_chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
Roc8995

Your body chemistry will react differently to the composition of strings. So I guess your sweat is more compatible with those strings. That doesn't mean that Elixirs don't do what they claim to or that they're crap, it just means they don't work for you.

Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
ch1ng_chung

I don't know anyone else who this happens to, like every string except one brand rusts so easily
ch1ng_chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
Ruark

Same here - I used DR Pure Blues on my Ibanez AS80 (ES335 clone) and wouldn't use anything else, and I've tried almost every string made. They last for months - one caveat, however: I rub them with Fast Fret before and after each playing. But yes, they are wonderful strings, IMHO.
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys
Ruark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #5
gregs1020
plays with his peters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruark
Same here - I used DR Pure Blues on my Ibanez AS80 (ES335 clone) and wouldn't use anything else, and I've tried almost every string made. They last for months - one caveat, however: I rub them with Fast Fret before and after each playing. But yes, they are wonderful strings, IMHO.

i use DR blues and fast fret as well.

with very good results.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

I've read that it is not uncommon to get strings in a pack that won't intonate. Is this true? Are they good about getting replacement packs out?
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
Roc8995

I've been using them for five years and I've never had a set that wouldn't intonate except for when I didn't follow the directions and stretched them tight when putting them on. They have a round core as opposed to the usual grippier hex core, and if you stretch them the way some people do - put them on, bring them up to pitch, then yank them straight up - the core slips and the string goes wonky. That's just my guess as to what's going on, but that's the only time I've ever had that problem and I've gone through dozens of sets.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

What are you suppose to do? I do what you described with Ernie Balls.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Old 03-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
Roc8995

The string packaging says not to stretch them like that. Just put them on and let them settle in naturally. It takes a little while longer for them to stabilize but it's not a terrible inconvenience or anything unless you have a gig in half an hour.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

So tune to pitch, play, retune, play, retune play, etc?

Sometimes I think that is the better way to do it. I seemed to get more life.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #11
wahalrus
Call me walrus!

One thing to take notice are that the DR Pure Blues strings are pure nickel while most strings today are nickel-plated steel. Are pure nickel strings easier to bend/last longer/stay shinier/etc.?
wahalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:51 PM   #12
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
The string packaging says not to stretch them like that. Just put them on and let them settle in naturally. It takes a little while longer for them to stabilize but it's not a terrible inconvenience or anything unless you have a gig in half an hour.

oh. well shit, I literally just got a pack at put them on and did that. I do with all my strings.

oh well. they're cheap, feel nice and sound good so I think i'm gonna stick with these, if it helps TS.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #13
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

See they are 8 bucks a pack around here, so they are up there in terms of cost.

I'd like to know what Roc means by settling in.

I've been told 4 ways to get the the stretch out of strings so they hold a tune:

Tune to pitch, play, retune, play, retune, play until they hold a pitch and then set intonation.

Tune to pitch, set the guitar down for a bit, pick it up, retune, set it down for a bit, repeat until it holds pitch then set intonation.

Tune to pick, place a capo on it for an hour or so, retune, recapo, retune, set intonation when strings will hold desired pitch.

Then there is the tune and snap method.

I'd really like to know what Roc meant by settle in naturally.

Ihartford,

It's probably a higher chance of ruining the strings than a it will always happen situation. Otherwise most people would ruin them without realizing it and think they are garbage.

Now I'm wondering if I ruined a set of Dean Markley's doing the snap method. I had one set that was golden, then I had another set it couldn't get to settle in if my life depended on it. The intonation was always wonky on that set as well.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Old 03-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #14
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

they hold tune quite nicely and intonate fine. Roc means just play em, let them fall out of tune, come back later, tune, repeat.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #15
gregs1020
plays with his peters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
oh. well shit, I literally just got a pack at put them on and did that. I do with all my strings.

i wouldn't sweat it.

i've done this with every set of DR blues i've ever put on my guitars.

didn't know i wasn't supposed to until roc8995 posted that.

and i've never had an issue.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #16
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
they hold tune quite nicely and intonate fine. Roc means just play em, let them fall out of tune, come back later, tune, repeat.

That is what I assumed. I will be restringing my guitar soon. I will try that with my EBs I have. See if they last even longer for me.

Was there much of an intonation change for you? I'm wondering if there will be even though I will be using the same gauge and tuning.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10

Last edited by Shadowofravenwo : 03-06-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #17
Flux'D
Plays a pitchfork

Pure Blues are pure nickel strings, they don't have any steel in them to oxidize or rust. I wonder if anyone makes a pure cobalt string, or if that's even physically possible? It'd be pretty damn expensive . Remember there are only 3 elements that are magnetic as-found in nature: Iron (except stainless steel), Cobalt, and Nickel.

Round core strings are different than hex core. If you put a good crimp in the string with a pair of pliers the inner core won't slip. They actually do this from the factory at the opposite end from the ball and you can feel/see it on an uncut, fresh string. But on my shorter Gibson-scale guitars this crimp is sometimes cut off when I trim the shorter strings (both E's on a Gibson, D and G on a Dean). However if you string your guitar the correct way it creates a good crimp (kink) on it's own when you 'lock' the string in place, but I usually crimp it with pliers right before where I plan to trim the string for extra assurance.
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D : 03-06-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Flux'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #18
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Does that mean I can't use them? I need to cut the ball off for my locking trem?
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Old 03-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #19
Flux'D
Plays a pitchfork

The crimp is found at the other end of the string, away from the ball. Look at a fresh string and you'll see it
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60
Flux'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #20
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

I've been using them for a few months and I find that if you string them properly and have a proper lock on the tuning peg, you won't have any issues.

Also, I stretch the strings slightly as well as bend them a bunch before I play. No intonation issues or anything. I think the most important thing is a proper stringing method really.

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: