Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-27-2013, 04:10 AM   #1
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian

Hair Metal?

What do you guys think of the hair metal and glam rock bands that have sprung up so fast in recent years? My personal belief is that they make true rock look way too easy, and less people are learning their instruments well because they think as long as they're good at putting on makeup and hairspray, they don't need to bother with the songwriting.
TheChaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:11 AM   #2
whywefight
prаy I prаy I

not kvlt

not canon
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:15 AM   #3
JohnnyGenzale
Bitter old sod

im quite unaware of the trends of music as I never watch tv, listen to radio or read magazines. But most fads put their weight on images rather than music, and that's not good for the music at that point, but I think it somehow is for the better for music in the long run. Those who are genuinely interested in music will go deeper and beyond it and work on songwriting, production value and such. And those who are not into that will stick with the fads or be gone again in a few years.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey

How does it make it look too easy? Steel Panther have some sick riffs and solos. This just sounds like a genre bashing thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
leony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
Tracii Lee

Easy? I play hair metal, and while every band (hair band or not) is going to have different levels of talent, I don't think hair metal has ever been considered an "easy" genre. Keep in mind, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Andy Timmons, Jason Becker, *arguably* Slash, were all in hair metal bands. I will admit that the modern hair bands don't seem to be any where near as talented as the hair bands from back then, but I wouldn't go as far as "easy". If hair metal is easy, than what would a band like blink-182 be considered? I'm not very familiar with "true" rock either, could you explain what that is?

How a band chooses to dress has nothing to do with their musical integrity. If you put a CD in, it isn't going to matter if the lead singer has on more makeup than your girlfriend, you're not going to be able to tell a difference. That's true for any band. For all we know, Metallica could've recorded The Black Album completely naked wearing clown makeup. But could you tell by listening to the CD? No, you can't. We do the visual side of it because we believe that it adds to the experience. I'd rather go to a show where the band actually tries to entertain you. Costumes, makeup, outrageous stage setups, it just makes for a better show in my opinion. If that isn't your opinion then their isn't anything wrong with that, and your opinion isn't any more or less valid than mine. I highly doubt hair metal is causing musicians to not properly learn their instrument. Their are so many different techniques in the songs, different scales, modes, harmonies, chord changes and progressions, it's limitless. I know a hell of a lot more theory from playing hair metal than any of the "metal" bands in town, where all they do is tune their low E string down as low as they possibly can and just chug it for the entire song. A lot of those bands don't even have guitar solos in their songs because the guitarists don't understand scales or how to properly compose one, but this is just ONE town and probably isn't a good representation for the rest of the world, haha

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, I just wanted to maybe give you some insight into the genre. It isn't for every one, and that's okay. I respect your opinion
Tracii Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #6
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

Guns N' Roses was not hair metal... I don't think.

I think they saved us/the world from Hair Metal, tbh.
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
treborillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #7
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by leony03
How does it make it look too easy? Steel Panther have some sick riffs and solos. This just sounds like a genre bashing thread.

This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treborillusion

They technically are. They certainly have a lot in common with a lot of other glam bands at the time.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 02-27-2013 at 06:38 AM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
slash_GNR666
Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan!

I don't really care what genre you put them in, there still fucking cool

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
slash_GNR666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
They technically are. They certainly have a lot in common with a lot of other glam bands at the time.

I think AFD saved us from Hair Metal and the 80's scene.
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #10
Tracii Lee

Quote:

I think they weren't too far off from it in the beginning. I would classify them as hard rock or something similar before hair metal, but they weren't that far away from it either. Bluesy riffs, higher pitched singing, massive drum beats, big catchy choruses... Sounds pretty close to me. They weren't Poison or Def Leppard, but it was a pretty broad genre. I only read his book once but think he played for some bands that were a little lighter before he played for GN'R but I could be wrong about that
Old 02-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #11
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Does anyone else think the whole "Hair Metal" thing is a load of BS created by people who aren't old enough to remember it?

I was there, and during the era the phrase refers to we had a name for the music these bands were playing. It was called "Heavy Metal".

TS - If you think the stuff these bands play is too easy, you're obviously a guitar god and we should all worship at your feet. I assume you can provide us with a list of all your million selling albums so we can go away and hear how it should be done.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:47 AM   #12
JohnnyGenzale
Bitter old sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
Does anyone else think the whole "Hair Metal" thing is a load of BS created by people who aren't old enough to remember it?

I was there, and during the era the phrase refers to we had a name for the music these bands were playing. It was called "Heavy Metal".

TS - If you think the stuff these bands play is too easy, you're obviously a guitar god and we should all worship at your feet. I assume you can provide us with a list of all your million selling albums so we can go away and hear how it should be done.

it might be technically hard/tricky but the song structures and the creativity is rather low at best.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 AM   #13
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
I think AFD saved us from Hair Metal and the 80's scene.

I'd much rather listen to Motley Crue than Nirvana tbh.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:55 AM   #14
Sampy

Any one else notice that this is a parody of the Guitar Hero thread?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1590149
Old 02-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #15
Tracii Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington

The problem with calling it "heavy metal" is that everyone now a days thinks that heavy metal means brutal, fast, screamo stuff. We used to say we were a heavy metal band as opposed to a hair metal band, until we realized the band down the street who sounded just like Children of Bodom were calling themselves heavy metal, and then the band on the next block who added Nirvana lyrics over breakdowns started saying they played heavy metal. It just makes more sense to market ourselves as hair metal, at least then the bars know what to expect when we get booked. It is kind of a derogatory term though
Old 02-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #16
slash_GNR666
Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampy
Any one else notice that this is a parody of the Guitar Hero thread?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1590149

Don't be daft, TS wouldn't do something like that.

Stop being a knob and join in our discussions

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
slash_GNR666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #17
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

An earlier Guns N' Roses.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #18
Sampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash_GNR666
Don't be daft, TS wouldn't do something like that.

Stop being a knob and join in our discussions

Okey dokey

Something something hair metal. Something something make up.

There, that should do it.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #19
anvil is god
can't do enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracii Lee
The problem with calling it "heavy metal" is that everyone now a days thinks that heavy metal means brutal, fast, screamo

last.fm
anvil is god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #20
Tracii Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvil is god

I believe I've only used that word once in this thread. A lot of the grindcore, thrash, doom type bands around here call themselves "screamo" but you're right, I'm not really sure what would constitute a band to that category. No disrespect intended

Rate This Thread: