User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #1
Simple Jack
Acoustics = top kindling

Floyd Rose playing dilemma

Hi all.

I recently bought my first guitar with a Floyd Rose trem. Frustrating as hell but bounces right back when I dive bomb, and only took me a few hours to figure out how to restring and set it up.

After figuring out all that I'm now having a small problem when I solo. I've found when I pluck two strings and bend one, the extra tension pulls the bridge up slightly thus flattening the second note. Anyone got ideas on how I can remedy this?

Some extra possibly relevant information:
- Guitar is a Dean Razorback V
- I just installed a set of DR DDT extra heavy gauge strings (.013 - .065) however had this problem on lighter gauges (.010 - .048)
- Guitar is tuned in B, again had this problem with regular tuning
- Bridge is slightly higher than the recess it sits in, and is more or less parallel to the body

Anyone with possible answers or who has had this same problem I'd love to hear from you. Thanks everyone.
Axe-FX Ultra
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Ableton Live 8 with Nexus, Komplete 6, Predator, Sylenth
Numark NS7FX
Simple Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
steven seagull
not really a seagull

In short, you can't remedy it - you can't stop physics. If you pull something that's not fixed down it's going to move.

You just have to adjust your bends to compensate, usually by bending both notes.

Long term you can install a tremsetter of some kind but without a modification the problem won't go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #3
Simple Jack
Acoustics = top kindling

Cheers Steven. Oh well I guess you don't tune a guitar down to B for lead purposes
Axe-FX Ultra
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Ableton Live 8 with Nexus, Komplete 6, Predator, Sylenth
Numark NS7FX
Simple Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
DarthV

You should get used to it, but if worse comes to worse you can block the trem to act like a fixed bridge.
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
In short, you can't remedy it - you can't stop physics. If you pull something that's not fixed down it's going to move.

You just have to adjust your bends to compensate, usually by bending both notes.

Long term you can install a tremsetter of some kind but without a modification the problem won't go away

+1

and even a tremsetter or something like that isn't a total fix, because they (allegedly) affect how the trem feels.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Super-Vee mag-lock is specifically designed for that very problem.

http://www.super-vee.com/products.html
Old 02-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
ADOLF1612
New and Friendly Player

Another thing you could do (if you dont want to loose the trem function by locking it), why not pushing the trem down a bit with your picking hand while doing that kind of bend? (to keep it from raising and flattening the other strings?) I do it all the time, you just have to Know how much force you need to keep it in tune while doing it (wich is just a little bit) BTW thing is that AFAIK doing that requires good ears, still it's way more simple than doing any further mods to your guitar...

Hope it helps
Fender Mustang IV V.2
Fender Mustang I
ADOLF1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Jack
Cheers Steven. Oh well I guess you don't tune a guitar down to B for lead purposes

Um....

You totally can? Who says you can't? :P
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
Dudage
West Coast Islander

I've been playing with a Floyd for some time now, and I've found that the easiest way to get the bends to stay in tune is, as Steven said, to modify your technique to keep the strings in tune. You could bend both strings simultaneously, which I usually do by keeping a finger on the string you want to stay in tune and learning (with time and practice) now much tension to bend with and how much to anchor with to get the sound you want.

You could stop your trem too I suppose, I prefer to leave my bridge floating all the time, if possible. Floyds = more potential variety and expression in your playing when used well.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
randywolf244
resident arrogant

i've had floyd for about 10 years and i ran into the same problem when i first got it. my remedy is to just replace your tremolo springs, im guessing you bought it used and their worn out. if not then just add some higher tension springs or if your not using a 5 set then add 2 or put it to a triangle set. it makes the bar a little more difficult but it'll fix the problem, though it isnt just with floyd roses. i had a fender with a vintage synchronized that did the same thing. good luck man
randywolf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by randywolf244
i've had floyd for about 10 years and i ran into the same problem when i first got it. my remedy is to just replace your tremolo springs, im guessing you bought it used and their worn out. if not then just add some higher tension springs or if your not using a 5 set then add 2 or put it to a triangle set. it makes the bar a little more difficult but it'll fix the problem, though it isnt just with floyd roses. i had a fender with a vintage synchronized that did the same thing. good luck man

If your Floyd floats, adding / changing springs won't do anything, since the spring tension has to be balanced against the string tension?

If it's set up to dive only that will work, but I didn't see that as the case here?
Old 02-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
randywolf244
resident arrogant

well crap im sorry man i didnt even think about that lol i've had mine decked since i first bought it so i dont even think of any way else anymore
Old 02-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
J_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
If your Floyd floats, adding / changing springs won't do anything, since the spring tension has to be balanced against the string tension?

If it's set up to dive only that will work, but I didn't see that as the case here?

Too much tension will pull the bridge forward and it will not be level which will create other problems. You can only have as many springs as it takes to level the bridge.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #14
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
Too much tension will pull the bridge forward and it will not be level which will create other problems. You can only have as many springs as it takes to level the bridge.

Ummm....yeah....ok?

Was there a point hiding in there?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #15
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Guitars with Floyd Roses are almost like different instruments. You have to adjust a lot of aspects of your playing to compensate. It's that simple. steven seagull said it best, you can't stop physics.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #16
randywolf244
resident arrogant

Try decking it then adding tension that is if you can do without going up.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #17
J_W

Quote:
Ummm....yeah....ok?

Was there a point hiding in there?

Just explaining why you can't just add a bunch of springs. I was agreeing with your post. So calm your ass down there tiger.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #18
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
Just explaining why you can't just add a bunch of springs. I was agreeing with your post. So calm your ass down there tiger.

I'm calm, I was just confused..
Old 02-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #19
J_W

Quote:
I'm calm, I was just confused..

All good, I wasn't very clear that I was just adding to what you had posted.

Rate This Thread: