Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
run_forrest_run

Bass Audition.

I have an audition for the popular music course at Edinburgh Napier and I'm fretting (No pun intended) over what songs to play. I need to play 3 songs that are at a grade 8 standard (They don't need to be official, just of that playing level). I plan on doing Can't hold no Groove and Space Cowboy by Jamiroquai and I was consider You can call me Al or some other song off of Graceland but I'd like to hear your suggestions as well.

For some extra context, I had to post 3 videos to get to the audition stage, in which I played Love Games, Hit me with your Rhythm Stick and DMV. It's possible to play one or even 2 of these songs again but I'd prefer to find 3 new ones.
run_forrest_run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Something by Primus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Try some of the Rockschool stuff? Pretty decent as it's all graded, and provide you with backing tracks, full tablature and original songs.
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Casketcreep
Call me Elliot.

I have a bass specific performance in University and I just composed my own piece.
MUCH easier.

New E.P available now.
Casketcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:36 AM   #5
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist

I don't understand these grade levels for these UK schools.
Why not encourage students to create something new or original with a piece of music?

I understand playing pre-written music is popular in the classical world, but playing pop/rock tunes verbatim for University seems silly. But if you just play something like DMV, it just shows your ability to learn a song but not really play music.

I guess thats just my opinion. I'm not just playing something like DMV doesn't take some knowledge of your instrument. But thats really all it takes. Meanwhile taking a (not naming anyone in particular) Nick Drake song or something, playing the melody and then soloing over the chords or putting a different feel on it or something along those lines shows actual musicianship that transcends technical ability on your instrument.
King Of Suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Ziphoblat
Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Suede
I don't understand these grade levels for these UK schools.
Why not encourage students to create something new or original with a piece of music?

I understand playing pre-written music is popular in the classical world, but playing pop/rock tunes verbatim for University seems silly. But if you just play something like DMV, it just shows your ability to learn a song but not really play music.

I guess thats just my opinion. I'm not just playing something like DMV doesn't take some knowledge of your instrument. But thats really all it takes. Meanwhile taking a (not naming anyone in particular) Nick Drake song or something, playing the melody and then soloing over the chords or putting a different feel on it or something along those lines shows actual musicianship that transcends technical ability on your instrument.

There's absolutely nothing stopping you performing your own pieces provided that's what you want to do as long as you can provide a written transcription and backing track for them, as far as I'm aware. Most people probably don't do this because the grades do little to teach compositional ability and are more about being able to play different styles of music etc. I suppose it's more catered towards people who want to become a session musician or the likes, not people who want to create their own music.

EDIT: That just applies to the actual grades though, not sure about this particular scenario.

Last edited by Ziphoblat : 03-16-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Ziphoblat is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: