Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Punk & Ska
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
RBpunk

Is it over?

Now before I start, I don't care how many other threads like this exist. Can't find them, therefore I made this one. So I recently watched the great documentary "Punk's Not Dead." I realized that when all these big, legendary punk icons argued that it's not over, they all stated the same thing:people still like the music, and small local bands are still playing for family and friends. While hardcore punk bands did play small venues and were quite local, that was different. I think all they had to argue was that some veterans still liked the scene, and some guys with instruments decided to cover the Clash at a family BBQ. The documentary interviewed many big punk bands that are still going strong (like the Adicts) but they all went a little softer to some degree. Not that the Adicts aren't good now, don't get me wrong. But anyways, is it over? Is punk just a sentimental thing? Nowadays rebellion comes in the form of "swag" and anti-intellectualism. Do you think we will ever see a day when punk becomes feared again, and parents are once again burning their kid's cd's? Or is punk always going to be a cute phase someone's daughter is going through?
RBpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
n.grecs

I think what's happened is that most people see "punk" as bands like Green Day. They're bands that musically are punk (simple 3-chord, Ramones-like) but don't have the real punk mentality. The real mentality being the independent, I'll-do-it-myself school of thought. Also, I think newer real punk bands are harder to find as they aren't grouped together. I can find 25 or so great hardcore bands off of "American Hardcore" because these bands have had more time to gain a cult following. Newer bands haven't had the time to do so.
n.grecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
RBpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.grecs
I think what's happened is that most people see "punk" as bands like Green Day. They're bands that musically are punk (simple 3-chord, Ramones-like) but don't have the real punk mentality. The real mentality being the independent, I'll-do-it-myself school of thought. Also, I think newer real punk bands are harder to find as they aren't grouped together. I can find 25 or so great hardcore bands off of "American Hardcore" because these bands have had more time to gain a cult following. Newer bands haven't had the time to do so.

Exactly. American Hardcore is the guys who finally got success. I'm just hoping that there still are bands out there working their way up, we just need one controversial band to shock the world back into how it was. Not this poppy "Why did you break up with me?" crap that EVERYONE thinks is punk.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
j777p

I think that punk and hardcore is kind of like metal in that it will never die, but what kids think is punk or hardcore or metal now would have been laughed at when the scenes began. I agree with you that what is being considered punk now is look at my hair, tight pants, and my winey auto tuned voice, it isn't bringing up politics or being mad at the world and I need to get my anger out like it used to be. I think that there are new underground bands that are true to form but you have to look real hard. I am not sure what a punk or hardcore band would have to do that is so shocking that would bring it back, like Alice Cooper said in an interview "you would have to cut your arm off to shock an audience but you could only do that twice."
j777p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
RBpunk

I can't agree more. The nation is un-shockable now. With Lady Gaga going around talking about blowjobs and stuff. GG Allin used to be absolutely hated, he was a shock rocker. Now shock rock isn't even possible to perform, no one is shocked anymore. I mean imagine 1976 Sid Vicious hearing Green Day. He would laugh is f***ing ass off!
Old 02-28-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
█▐▌█▐▌

yes that's right
punk is dead

let that shit die
and find out the new goal

rip it up & start again
(but not with pop shit like orange juice)
█▐▌█▐▌ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #7
lookpizza
Party Hard

Old 02-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
Hereiwas
"Alex"

Orange Juice is just fine.

If the problem is that society is less easy to shock today than it was 40 years ago, the problem is with the music that was being shocking then, not society today.
If you play the guitar you can pretty much guarantee your not going ot be finding it v. easy to onnovate new music anyway, physical instruments are pretty tired tools; Suicide held the first punk gig in 1971 and they played synths, and the Soviets invented the drum machine in the 1930s.

Everyone should burn their guitars, buy a sampler and a drum machine and then play improv with frowny faces instead.

edit: And like, "being punk" is kind of silly because to do it you have to project certain attitudes, ideas etc and then you're being a pastiche. And ideology always sounds silly in music, songs should be about your personal life and music should just be a type of sonic wallpaper.

edit: in summation, punk is for my uncle.

edit: In the 50s Anthony Crossland was saying that its conservative to like the NHS, same deal with being shocking. THe point of the shock in the first place was presumably to (make money) make people aware that they could be shocked. Don't feel sad that people made the cvhange they wanted to see in the world.

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford

Last edited by Hereiwas : 02-28-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Hereiwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
█▐▌█▐▌

i know guitars are conservative but they're so easy to play :-(

suicide did not hold the first punk gig. if they were punk then the vu were punk.

'innovation' is cheap.

"songs should be about your personal life"
> 'my sides'

also may i remind everyone that the shock element of punk is incidental.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
axeslash
I got no learnin'

Everyone can just post on music forums about punk instead of having to bribe a bunch of spiky haired jerks with 40's to hang out with them and listen to them wax philosophical about "the government, man."
Old 02-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
Adam808
I Wanna Be Sedated

I don't think Punk is dead. The great bands will live on.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #12
█▐▌█▐▌

i feel sad beceause there is no one here to radicalize the youth.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #13
RBpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by █▐▌█▐▌

Exactly! No one aims to shock anymore. All they do is aim to please (Please their peers, whom they perceive as cooler than them)
Old 03-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #14
lookpizza
Party Hard

Old 03-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #15
Hereiwas
"Alex"

Quote:

suicide did not hold the first punk gig. if they were punk then the vu were punk.

yuhu, i saw a copy of the poster at the South Bank Centre. If a cultural institution in England doesn't know about outsider music from 70s new york, i don't know who does. (edit: and its like, they were the first band to actively call themselves punk, supposedly. i dunno, i like Alan Vega.)

Does anyone know about where this thing about punk being dead comes from? My introduction to Punk (and also music) came from a guy in the year above wearing a t-shirt that said "Punks Not Dead; Anarchy Will Beat". I cant be the only one for whom whether or not its dead pre-dates knowing what it sounded like, and i don;t there's ever been a time when people haven't played punk music? Is it from that Crass song or what?

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford

Last edited by Hereiwas : 03-01-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #16
axeslash
I got no learnin'

Quote:
I feel sad because EVERYONE think they are gonna radicalize the youth.

I just want the youth to be more self-reliant for the upcoming race wars that all the libertarians are telling me about.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #17
Hereiwas
"Alex"

re: self reliance... I can fry my own tofu.
I just need it to be packaged and then flown to me from the States.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #18
█▐▌█▐▌

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hereiwas
Does anyone know about where this thing about punk being dead comes from? My introduction to Punk (and also music) came from a guy in the year above wearing a t-shirt that said "Punks Not Dead; Anarchy Will Beat". I cant be the only one for whom whether or not its dead pre-dates knowing what it sounded like, and i don;t there's ever been a time when people haven't played punk music? Is it from that Crass song or what?

well within better communities "punk is dead" is indeed a crass allusion, but also hack English critics probably said it in like 1980 when there weren't any punk bands on Top of the Pops anymore. so if somebody says it they might mean any number of things. it is a funny conversation topic.

(the converse, "punks not dead," comes from the exploited, if you happen to be so innocent as to be unaware.)

Last edited by █▐▌█▐▌ : 03-01-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #19
SuperBlob
DIRECT HIT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeslash
I feel sad because EVERYONE think they are gonna radicalize the youth.

I just want the youth to be more self-reliant for the upcoming race wars that all the libertarians are telling me about.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #20
Hereiwas
"Alex"

that film haha. A friend of mine went to Bruges on the strength of it, apparently it isn't at all like a fairy tale :/

English music journalists (and non-music journalists) suck, don't they. esp NME, but all of them. (except for The Wire and Sight and Sound <3 )

Rate This Thread: