Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
JakeLTD

What mods could I get installed for my JSX??

Yoyoyoyo

I've just had my JSX back off a full service and I've had some JJ KT77s + 12AX7s put in and it absolutely sings (if you have one put kt77s in it, you will not regret it). The only thing i'd complain about is that there is a very very very loud humming when i'm not playing anything coming from the amp.

I've been browsing a few forums in the search to improve my JSX further and i've seen a few terms i'm unfamiliar with as i'm a bit of a novice with the internal side of amps.
A ''choke'', ''upgraded output transformers / Mercury magnetics transformers'' ??

I'm trying to just get the most out of what I think is already a great amp. I run a ts9 and a bbe sonic stomp in front of it too and i think i'll soon be switching to passive pickups rather than my active emgs to tame the high end a little bit more.

If there's anything else i could have done to the amp internally to tighten/improve the amp further then let me know! or maybe anything on the outside to almost 'bling' it out, i've seen a few amps with custom front grills/LEDs which look fairly cool!
JakeLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
icronic

http://www.voodooamps.com/home/Modi...60/Default.aspx

I honestly don't know if any of that would be worth it. Personally I'd just stick a noise gate on it and call it a day.
icronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
Deadpool_25

FWIW, my ISP Decimator didn't do anything at all to get rid of the hum I had on my JSX combo. It wasn't a "very, very, very loud" hum though so might be a different problem. Which means maybe a gate will work for you...my JSX got returned to GC and then to a repair shop so I still have no idea what is/was wrong with it or if it got fixed.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Deadpool_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
icronic

You were running it through the FX loop and not out front right?
icronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:07 AM   #5
JakeLTD

I appreciate your replies but the humming of my jsx wasn't the sole reason for this thread haha. Just trying to broaden my knowledge
JakeLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:05 AM   #6
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

none that are worth it. bigger/better spec'd transformers would make a change, but not enough to justify how much it would cost.

unless i am building or modding an amp, i would never put extremely expensive transformers in. MM is too expensive IMO although i have two of the PT's, in two different amps, i don't remember which. they were bought that way). my splawns have hayboer which i really like, cathbard (very wise member on here) has one favorite set that is significantly cheaper he uses (if that is still what you use, cath if something i say is wrong, let me know i will pull it off).

i woudnl't bother with it. IMO the only thing you could do better would be to either ditch the BBE for a 10 band if you feel the need for an eq. i had a BBE sonic stomp, it sounds good for a little while and then you feel that it doesn't sound as good. i don't (and i don't think most don't) know what it does beyond a two band EQ (highs and lows) that ends up scooping the mids a tad which really isn't what you want if you want to cut through the mix. i got rid of mine redialed the amp and was much happier.

i don't think you would need an EQ, but it is NEVER a bad thing to have. you can use it for just simply a different voicing on a channel, but IMO the best use is in your effects loop, they make excelent solo boosts dial up the mids and treble a bit tweak the bass and they are pretty cheap (i would recommend a MXR 10 band)

enjoy it
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:07 AM   #7
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLTD
I appreciate your replies but the humming of my jsx wasn't the sole reason for this thread haha. Just trying to broaden my knowledge

You have 2 transformers in your amp- a power transformer and an output transformer.

These are expensive- and companies skimp here to save costs for mass produced amps like the JSX. It doesn't mean Peavey used cheap ass ones, just they probably made a few compromises to make the amp affordable.

Your comment out upgrading transformers refers to "higher quality" ones. Mercury Magnetics is a manufacturer of such parts.

Is it worth it? Probably not for most people. The law of diminishing returns rules all upgrades.

You can read this for more info. Or ask specific questions.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1571081
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:08 AM   #8
Deadpool_25

Quote:
Originally Posted by icronic
You were running it through the FX loop and not out front right?

Yeah, it was originally in front to kill unwanted feedback, but when I heard the hum I tried it in the loop as well...cranked the ISP all the way up and it didn't do a thing to that f'n hum.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Old 02-28-2013, 02:12 AM   #9
Deadpool_25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLTD

I know

But I don't know **** about modding amps so nothing to contribute on that front. Well...other than to say: If the JSX doesn't sound good enough to you....

...what you need is a new amp.

- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Last edited by Deadpool_25 : 02-28-2013 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:17 AM   #10
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
You have 2 transformers in your amp- a power transformer and an output transformer.

These are expensive- and companies skimp here to save costs for mass produced amps like the JSX. It doesn't mean Peavey used cheap ass ones, just they probably made a few compromises to make the amp affordable.

Your comment out upgrading transformers refers to "higher quality" ones. Mercury Magnetics is a manufacturer of such parts.

Is it worth it? Probably not for most people. The law of diminishing returns rules all upgrades.

You can read this for more info. Or ask specific questions.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1571081

$285+$275 according from MM"s site, probably over $200 a pop if they sell any cheaper than they list. at that point $400-$500 in transformers is not far off from what a used JSX runs on CL.

thats a lot of money to invest in mods. plus unless you are doing the work you will likely get a hefty tech bill.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
Old 02-28-2013, 02:19 AM   #11
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
$285+$275 according from MM"s site, probably over $200 a pop if they sell any cheaper than they list. at that point $400-$500 in transformers is not far off from what a used JSX runs on CL.

thats a lot of money to invest in mods. plus unless you are doing the work you will likely get a hefty tech bill.

Yup. Not worth it to me.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:25 AM   #12
Offworld92
One among the fence.

You could try some NOS tubes out in the preamp. Cath has recommended RFT ECC83s to me for my JSX.

To threadjack a little, can you give some things that stand out to you from the KT77s? I've thought about switching over for a while.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:34 AM   #13
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
You could try some NOS tubes out in the preamp. Cath has recommended RFT ECC83s to me for my JSX.

To threadjack a little, can you give some things that stand out to you from the KT77s? I've thought about switching over for a while.

+1 they will make a difference. probably at this point if the OP is hell bent on keeping it. probably best bang for the buck at your status.

have you tried other boosts with it? i really get better results from my timmy clone than on a TS808 (BBE screamer), there are literally hundreds of options out there. if you are interested, contact tim (toyroomfx) he did my timmy and zendrive, exceptional work. he is in Australia, but shipping was less than $20
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT

Rate This Thread: