Search:

Old 02-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #21
cptcomet
Band

I don't tend to stop to listen to them.

(´・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
cptcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #22
Burgery
confusion

Location: an outward projected image of a pokémon centre for the soul
Quote:
Originally Posted by progdude93
I walk right by them, because whenever I'm in a place where they happen to be, I'm actually doing something, or on my way to do something.

yeah

if they're doing something awesome i might drop them a quarter or two, or the devil horns handgesture if im drunk
Burgery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #23
Nameless742
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques-Henri
When I was in London I saw a guy doing some crazy stuff on a Chapman stick and I gave 5 quid. He was freakin' crazy.

Basically like this dude.
vid

That is sexy.

Glasgow has some decent buskers though my own town has some sick ones. We had this violinist who played some sick classical/jazz stuff. I tipped him a couple of quid.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Nameless742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #24
captainsnazz
#Cool&#Nice

They're all over the place in Paris. There's simply too many, so I don't give them anything. If I heard something truly amazing I might give them a euro or two though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmyisgod97
Anyone who needs a degree to think their good isn't doing music right, it's like taking a class in being funny.

Ego Sig
captainsnazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #25
Haroldus

I try to ignore them, but that's because I work in a local music shop. When I make eye contact they recognize me and then I have to be fun and give them cash or a discount or something, and when I'm out and about I'm REALLY not in the mood for that.
But in the occasion I see someone play that is genuinely good and entertaining, I'll pass them a few euro's
Haroldus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #26
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Normally I spit on them and say "Screw you, asshole"
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #27
bifteksupernova
*thhbbbt*

most around where i am are not worth listening to, let alone tipping. some are good tho, ive seen an excellent spoon playing old woman, believe it or not. another guy ive seen quite a few times playing accordion who is pretty good as well. if i catch myself standing and listening to them, ill usually throw the change in my pocket to them.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #28
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I only ever stop to listen if they're some sort of horn player, generally. People who busk with string instruments are usually really, really boring.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #29
badfish_lewis

There's this one guy who busks outside the Beer Store near my place. He is there every time I go and even in the past few snow storms he's been there. I've never given him a cent because he absolutely sucks balls and is more of an annoyance than anything. I do admire his heart though, standing out there no matter what the weather, annoying the shit out of people
badfish_lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #30
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by naedauuf
How do you deal with/treat them?

I usually give them around 5 bucks if they're genuinely entertaining. Not necessarily talented, but entertaining. I also usually give them around 5 minutes of time to wow me first though. I don't want to give someone money just because they're out there with an instrument. Anyone can do that.

To become a busker here, now (this past decade), you need a license.
How to go about getting that license.. No one knows, or, a busker might, you could ask them while they're not playing, if they're happy to talk.
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.

Last edited by treborillusion : 02-28-2013 at 12:26 PM.
treborillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #31
mjones1992

I actually recently got back from an attempted trip across the country (started in Pennsylvania, and tried to make it to California) hitchhiking/busking for food and cig money along way. I actually made some decent money. Busking at places like truck stops and gas stations yielded a hell of a lot more money during the day then playing in downtown areas, but at night it was definitely better to go near the bars.

I easily made enough to pay for my meals/cigs during the trip, and it sort of brought to light what most homeless (at least in the areas I was in) spend their money on. They pretend to need money for food and what not, but then they turn around and spend it all on drugs and alcohol. Hell, when I was passing through Kansas City, I made over $100 after busking for 5 hours and was able to buy myself a room for the night.

But ANYWAY, payout varies, but I'd say on a good weather day, you can average over $10 an hour, which is higher than minimum wage here in the states.

And incase anyone cares: I made it to Oklahoma City before getting tired of sleeping in parks and ditches with my guitar tied to my legs. But I made enough money busking to afford a Greyhound ticket back to Pennsylvania. The trip from Penn to Oklahoma took about 8 days total, and I probably made more money then I made working an actual job this year.

And if anyone attempts this. STAY OUT OF ST.LOUIS. Busking/Pan-handling is illegal and heavily enforced there. I literally got thrown out of every spot I tried to busk within 10 minutes. It's illegal in Oklahoma City too, but I felt like they took a hell of a lot longer to catch me.
mjones1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #32
jugglingfreak
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by naedauuf
I also usually give them around 5 minutes of time to wow me first though. I don't want to give someone money just because they're out there with an instrument. Anyone can do that.

Well, I can't exactly speak as a musical busker but from a juggling standpoint.

You get far more money if you are entertaining than technically proficient.

They majority of passers-by don't care about technically proficient, they want to see/hear something fun. Someone who can only strum open chords but has a nice voice and sings songs people want to hear will make money than some shredder.

In juggling, it like the "eat an apple while juggling" trick. It's lame, anyone who can juggle 3 objects can do it, but that is what people like to see. Seriously, people prefer to see jugglers doing that over watching someone do 7 clubs behind the back.

Also, people who interact with the "audience" get far better cash. You can have the best juggler in the world juggling the hardest tricks imaginable standing next to some guy doing 3 and 4 objects and cracking jokes with the audience, involving them in the show, etc. The 3 to 4 ball guy will make far more money.

The reason why? I'm a juggler. I love watching jugglers doing difficult technical tricks and it gets boring pretty quick. Now, take someone that doesn't really care that much, they'll get bored even faster.

So tl,dr: Entertaining buskers get money (regardless of technical ability).
jugglingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #33
Trowzaa
munchy crunchy

I ignore them. The only one I've ever given money to is the rock violinist that's always playing here.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #34
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

I listen to them, and one time with a friend drunk/stoned of our asses on the corner of Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road, I think it was (outside the Burger King, not the Mac'D's or the Subway). Was being critical of one who tried to play Stairway To Heaven, -- we just burst out/creased out laughing when he hit a bum note or, the wrong note in the intro, like, all was right but that note, and... We chuckled letting it be known; this was late, like 11pm, midnight, but, his playing was alright, I guess, we we're better but, he had drew a crowd, which included our young-ass-selfs.
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.

Last edited by treborillusion : 02-28-2013 at 12:40 PM.
treborillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #35
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by byob_soad2
One time, I was playing my bass (unplugged) outside while waiting for my mom to pick me up, and some girl throws a quarter to/at me and made some stuck up comment. I kept that quarter though

I'd have flicked her off and threw her quarter back.

OT:
If they're good, I'm willing to give them a dollar or two. Most of the buskers around here think good = I play 3 chords. So, they don't get a cent.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #36
SkepsisMetal
./.\.

All proceeds went to a local animal shelter.

Either way I usually look to see if they're selling their own material or not. Unless one really catches my ear, I won't give.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #37
BoyLilikoi

I see them all the time. Every time I go in the subway, or wander around downtown I come across them. Some of them are "famous" and draw crowds while others are just trying to get by. Most of them have their own corners, or subway stops. Occasionally I'll just come across someone with a sign that says "I'll tell you a joke for a quarter." I've never obliged.

If I have money on me, I'll tip someone who entertains me from time to time. I don't typically like to hear the traditional songs that would probably earn them the most money. If I have time to listen I'd like to hear a song that I've never heard before.

I also like going to cafe's that have lunch time live music. Usually just a guy and an acoustic. I'll sometimes give them a few bucks too.
BoyLilikoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #38
captainsnazz
#Cool&#Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by treborillusion
I listen to them, and one time with a friend drunk/stoned of our asses on the corner of Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road, I think it was (outside the Burger King, not the Mac'D's or the Subway). Was being critical of one who tried to play Stairway To Heaven, -- we just burst out/creased out laughing when he hit a bum note or, the wrong note in the intro, like, all was right but that note, and... We chuckled letting it be known; this was late, like 11pm, midnight, but, his playing was alright, I guess, we we're better but, he had drew a crowd, which included our young-ass-selfs.

seriously what does this even say

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmyisgod97
Anyone who needs a degree to think their good isn't doing music right, it's like taking a class in being funny.

Ego Sig
captainsnazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #39
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
seriously what does this even say

Allow me to translate:
"Trebor and his buddy got high once and mocked a busker like jackasses."

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #40
randywolf244
resident arrogant

dude i used to make more busking than i do from my job lol i had one chick walk by and drop a benjamin once. im pretty sure she was mega-baked though lol. she prolly thought i was jimi hendrix or something playing train lol
randywolf244 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: