Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

Anyone have Traynor ycv40 experience?

Got a Traynor YCV40, and getting a retube kit from eurotubes...and I'm puzzled about wether i need to have it biased or not...people always say the YCV40 is auto-biased, some say its fixed, and Traynor's manual for it says its just Auto balancing with matching tubes.

Eurotubes says you still HAVE to get a Traynor biased, YCV40 manual says you DONT, YCV40 manual later on says where to set the Bias, and Yorkville(Traynor) in a reply email told me the YCV40 does NOT need to get biased i can just pop in new tubes...

Seriously Confused at this point!

torn between just poppin in new tubes when they arrive, and taking it to a tech to have it biased...
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

I have one.

You can bias the tubes in the amp, however, you can mismatch tubes to a certain extent. I've put EL34's in my ycv40 after increasing the bias.
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Reincaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I don't have an answer either. What I would do is just order a matched set of power tubes, spray some Dioxit contact cleaner on the new tube pins, work the tube in and out to lubricate, watch your tubes on start up to make sure they don't glow too brightly, and rock on.

If the latest email came back from Traynor saying you don't need to bias it then I wouldn't worry about. The manual is a bit confusing so I can see why would want to double check. And no offense to Eurotubes but they are not always the greatest source of correct information.

If it sounds funky like a thin sound (cold) or a warbly sound (hot) then maybe consider taking it to tech.

Manual says:

The amplifier has also been
equipped with bias sensing points for each of the output tubes as well as a recessed bias
adjustment trim pot.This makes tube replacement quick and easy.
**We recommend adjusting the zero signal bias

Block diagram on page 4 (I don't see and variable resistors in the bias circuit)

http://traynoramps.com/downloads/servman/smycv40.pdf

PS: I am not an amp tech so free bump
Old 03-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

Well I'm just gonna watch the tubes like ya said...the Manual says No Bias Needed, Yorkville said the YCV40 needs no Bias...BUT there was a catch in all of this lol!

Got crazy and curious and removed the chassis....and hidden within the holes on the chassis was a trim pot BUT no way of getting to it unless you take apart the chassis as if they really dont want you to touch it!

new ones have easy access test points and trim pot on the outside...

anyways taken from Traynor's manual:
Features
" Auto-balancing bias supply means no need for matched pairs of output tubes or bias
adjustments, allowing extremely easy emergency tube replacement."

so if i get red plating and the tubes go south im sending traynor a nasty note made from letters cut out of a magazine!!!

what would the variable resistors do?

Last edited by WaltTheWerewolf : 03-02-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

From what I understand, the Traynors bias system is set up the same as my Kustom Coupe's...

I emailed Kustom when I was thinking of swapping the tubes, with the same question that you have posted here, and they basically told me that I never have to worry abuot biasing the amp... UNLESS I decided to change they type of power tube. They said that even then you don't have to rebias, but it wouldnt hurt....
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Randall 212+115
Mesa Boogie 212

Check out my band CITIES GATEWAY
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.guitar
From what I understand, the Traynors bias system is set up the same as my Kustom Coupe's...

I emailed Kustom when I was thinking of swapping the tubes, with the same question that you have posted here, and they basically told me that I never have to worry abuot biasing the amp... UNLESS I decided to change they type of power tube. They said that even then you don't have to rebias, but it wouldnt hurt....

makes sense...but they do a good job of making it confusing lol. worth the confusion though sense i love the amp...only paid 400$ for it for close to fender cleans and vox/marshall tones on the drive etc...
Old 03-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

They're great amps.

A guy that I was in a band with had one for a while.

I'm still planning on picking up and old YBA-1, when I can spot the right deal
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Randall 212+115
Mesa Boogie 212

Check out my band CITIES GATEWAY
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
fouellet1701

Simply said, it's "better" to have matched tubes but not necessary! Don't go crazy. The manual says that it can take "any type of 6L6/5881". Some people put unmatched tubes on purpose, claiming that it creates nice overtones. I use Sovtek 6L6 tubes from Long & McQuade (Traynor's parent company) and they don't sell them matched!
fouellet1701 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: