Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > 80s Rock, Shred & Progressive
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #21
Lightnin08

Quote:
Originally Posted by treborillusion
As far as Guns N' Roses goes, Axl got fat and Slash pulled a Carrot Top.

LOL very true. Can't argue there.
Lightnin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #22
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin08
LOL very true. Can't argue there.

But credit where credit's due, I mean, I think Slash has gotten better.

Like, his Solo at that show he did in Stoke in 2011 was different than a Guns N' Roses solo of his, both great, I mean, those Slash Guns N' Roses solos were pretty cool to begin with, now his almost machine like vibrato scares the shit out of me... A little...

From this

To

look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.

Last edited by treborillusion : 03-03-2013 at 12:17 AM.
treborillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:34 AM   #23
Lightnin08

Quote:
But credit where credit's due, I mean, I think Slash has gotten better.

Like, his Solo at that show he did in Stoke in 2011 was different than a Guns N' Roses solo of his, both great, I mean, those Slash Guns N' Roses solos were pretty cool to begin with, now his almost machine like vibrato scares the shit out of me... A little...

From this

To

I agree I think he has gotten a bit more fluid with his playing. He seems to be doing a lot more legato like licks than he did in GNR. The chord progressions to the songs seem more composed and thoought out if that makes sense. To me, he's starting to take his playing more serious. Not that he wasn't taking it serious in GNR, but you get what I mean I think.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:13 AM   #24
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

Yeah, besides, I'm thinking... His career/all that practise... Naturally you progress, espeically if you've done it enough. I do see what you mean, is why I said 'yeah' - I think we all mellow out or whatever but, I don't know him... Plays some badass (good) guitar though. Either I got lucky when I was a kid or, I have taste, either way, wicked guitarist... I'm sure you agree though OP-Person that Slash plays some Mean guitar, cool thread.
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.

Last edited by treborillusion : 03-03-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:31 AM   #25
Lightnin08

Quote:
Yeah, besides, I'm thinking... His career/all that practise... Naturally you progress, espeically if you've done it enough. I do see what you mean, is why I said 'yeah' - I think we all mellow out or whatever but, I don't know him... Plays some badass (good) guitar though. Either I got lucky when I was a kid or, I have taste, either way, wicked guitarist.

Yeah, he's definitely one of the best rock guitar players of all time. I'm glad I discovered him too. I love how he is so bluesy on some of his stuff. The way he incorporates blues licks in rock. A lot of people thinks he's overated but I don't see how.

Last edited by Lightnin08 : 03-03-2013 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:43 AM   #26
SGstriker
Someone will die...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin08
Yeah, he's definitely one of the best rock guitar players of all time. I'm glad I discovered him too. I love how he is so bluesy on some of his stuff. The way he incorporates blues licks in rock. A lot of people thinks he's overated but I don't see how.

I'm a big Slash fan. Seriously, he's in my top 3 as far as influences on me, along with Angus Young and SRV. But I can see why people think he's overrated. He's everywhere.

That being said, I think he deserves the exposure. And I still admire him greatly.
SGstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:50 AM   #27
Lightnin08

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGstriker
I'm a big Slash fan. Seriously, he's in my top 3 as far as influences on me, along with Angus Young and SRV. But I can see why people think he's overrated. He's everywhere.

That being said, I think he deserves the exposure. And I still admire him greatly.

Yeah man, he's in my top 3 as well. I think the main reason why people may find him overrated is because like you said he's everywhere. Talent wise, I've only heard a couple throw off on his playing. He may not be the fastest player, but he plays with a lot of soul.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #28
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

Okay, to be honest, Slash set the standard on what guitar should sound like, for young me.

So all that rock/bluesy playing and that tone... Was just cool guitar.

I remember liking Bed of Roses by Bon Jovi too, as a kid, and thinking with the intro
'Wow, these guys are alright, but Estranged is better.'

Last edited by treborillusion : 03-03-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #29
SGstriker
Someone will die...

Okay. Here's a new topic for you all. Favorite vocalist Slash has worked with?

Axl Rose?
Scott Weiland?
Myles Kennedy?
One of his vocalists for Slash's Snakepit?

I've actually liked every vocalist he's worked with. However, I think Myles Kennedy is my favorite. Axl is a close second. Eric Dover (Slash's Snakepit) is not far behind Axl. I like Weiland, but live, he just didn't hold up. Studio wise, he's great.
Myles Kennedy is my favorite by far though.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #30
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:

Axl Rose?
Scott Weiland?
Myles Kennedy?

I've actually liked every vocalist he's worked with. However, I think Myles Kennedy is my favorite. Axl is a close second. Eric Dover (Slash's Snakepit) is not far behind Axl. I like Weiland, but live, he just didn't hold up. Studio wise, he's great.

What about Michael Jackson?

Gotta be Axl for me though, then Myles.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #31
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

Quote:

Axl Rose?
Scott Weiland?
Myles Kennedy?

Buick Mackane (Big Dumb Sex)
I didn't know this was a T Rex cover and liked T Rex for the stupidest of all reasons as a kid... I saw Guns N' Roses wear T Rex tshirts in their videos and stuff and people in my family telling me I went to the same school as someone in T Rex when I was a child, Rockmount in Upper Norwood... I liked that, I didn't even know the song I liked was by them.
Then I found out... Then again, years later thanks to YouTube... I found out that Slash sang on that one! -- I thought that was cool, that voice... I thought It was both Axl Rose and that it had been mixed, I just ASSUMED that, so as an adult, finding out Slash sang on that and was that other voice, was pretty cool.

I liked Axl Rose, Eric Dover the best, also Duff McKagan's & Izzy Stradlin too.
Lenny Kravitz! & La Chic & Alice Cooper & Andrew Stockdale & Ozzy Osbourne & Lemmy Kilmister Iggy Pop, Rhianna were my favourites.
Shannon Hoon... Don't Cry really is made with that guy. R.I.P though. -- But that song, live as well with that guy, was a another level of cool. -- You know he was on the record right UG?

Last edited by treborillusion : 03-03-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #32
Lightnin08

Quote:

Axl Rose?
Scott Weiland?
Myles Kennedy?

Wow this is a great question. I think you have to pick someone that compliments his style of playing the best. I haven't heard much of Weiland to say how I think of him, but Axl, Myles, and Eric (who is highly underrated) are awesome. However, I'm gonna have to say Axl. But this is just my opinion.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #33
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

Slash lead guitar, co-lead vocals on "Buick Mackane (Big Dumb Sex)

Also, this isn't him singing but I like this still.

I'm sure you Slash fans have seen this before.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #34
Minkaro
UG's Mink

Slash is in my "top five guitarists that have been in Guns N Roses."

He's fourth.

I've been known to wear a fine black suit and a murder of a tie
I've got miles on my shoes that your brothers can't buy

Twitter

Youtube (I play video games badly)
Minkaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:55 AM   #35
SGstriker
Someone will die...

Old 03-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #36
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

Old 03-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #37
ron666

I agree that Slash is probably one of the best guitar players. I think his best solo was probably the one in the middle of November Rain.

ron666
ron666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:30 AM   #38
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

One of Guns N' Roses's more funnier moments.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #39
RebelDawg13

For those who haven't listened to the more obscure Use Your Illusions stuff, look up Don't Damn Me, The Garden, and Pretty Tied Up. All three have incredible solos and Don't Damn Me boasts one of Slash's best riffs.
RebelDawg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #40
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

I think this thread is pretty good
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: