Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
wiggedy

So many styles, how do you decide

I like so many different styles of music....

Metal (most variations), Blues (SRV, ZZ Top), Southern Rock (Skynard, Allman Bro's Gov't Mule), Jazz, Rock (Led Zep, Pink Floyd), Fusion.... etc

So many it leads me to distraction.

How does one say? Thats it! No more! I am honing in on this one thing.. til I have mastered it.
wiggedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
bigfyt
guitar?

don't

do you want to be a guitarist? or a rock guitarist. blues guitarist. metal guitarist.

just play them all not all at once, i find i go through stages alot a month im obsessed with playing a certain style.

why do you have to be 1 genre or follow 1 guitarist, emulate them all.
bigfyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
Johnnysd

Disclaimer: I'm a simple man with simple tastes and not that much experience playing the guitar.

With that out of the way:

That depends. How do you define mastering something? Learning all there is about one genre? If so, how do you know when you're done? What I'd suggest is take a few styles and set specific goals for them. Not directly guitar-related, but has some pretty decent points: http://www.fluentin3months.com/mini...ieving-fluency/

Find a few genres you really like, and apply the advice given in that blog, and you'll hopefully be able to "master" it.
Johnnysd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

I prefere the Jack of All Trades style! Means I love to play all styles now of course I often find myself putting more love into Rock N Roll but I love playing 50s Rock, 70s Classic Rock, Some Southern, Some Blues, Acoustic Rock, Bluegrass, and in a very angry mood some Metal?

I try my best to take all those styles and take bits and pieces and cram them all into my own little style...For instance even when playing electric rock i find myself tossing in a Bluegrass fill sometimes, or rockabilly on an Acoustic...

Of course the Other part of the "Jack of All Trades" saying is "Master of NONE"!!!
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
Livingtime

Usually there is only one or two styles where I have the most fun playing and I tend to gravitate around it. I don't listen to a lot of power metal but when I pick up my guitar I was always end up playing it.

Of course, don't forget you can fuse genres. Like metal and blues (AC/DC or Metallica) and jazz and rock.
Neoclassical is a fusion of metal and classical.

Last edited by Livingtime : 03-02-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Livingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingtime
Usually there is only one or two styles where I have the most fun playing and I tend to gravitate around it. I don't listen to a lot of power metal but when I pick up my guitar I was always end up playing it.

Of course, don't forget you can fuse genres. Like metal and blues (AC/DC or Metallica) and jazz and rock.
Neoclassical is a fusion of metal and classical.

Totally know what you mean! And alot of what you listen to on a day to day basis will not necessaraly govern what you play what you will most likely will play. I listen to mainly Rock, Hard Rock, Old Blues, Electric Blues, Metal and Death Metal. Now what bands i listen to the most is Pantera, Down, Feared and Firewind. So lately my style of playing has been gravitating towards these styles of Metal.

Now i also love listening to ZZ Top, The Eagles, Allman Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd so I'll take a break from bringing demons from hell and bringing other demons from the south.....Blues Demons!

But everyone here is right on target. Try them all. You might like listening to Jazz but not playing jazz etc.. So let your musical judgement take you where it takes you.
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
GonzoBeatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysd

That depends. How do you define mastering something?

That would imply he plays guitar with the aim of just progress. Whereas a lot of people including myself play only for enjoyment.
GonzoBeatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
takachan

Maybe a great way to learn guitar is to learn it by era.
1960-2013
takachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
Malchius

Learn it, love it, play it. You learn from everything, don't let genres hold you back.

Last edited by Malchius : 03-02-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Malchius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #10
calnix

I'm all about jazz fusion and funk. So fun to play
Old 03-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
BigHeadClan
Mistro

Continue playing a variety of music until you have your own style, if you think just think "Oh I want to play exactly like X guitarist" you are just limiting yourself. It takes a long time to finalize your style, but once it is done you will be unique to yourself, you won't be just another X guitarist.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #12
DreamGate
Heshmuggah

True what Walt up there said. Just be sure to be a Jack of all trades, Master of One.
DreamGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
aaroncaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfyt
don't

do you want to be a guitarist? or a rock guitarist. blues guitarist. metal guitarist.

just play them all not all at once, i find i go through stages alot a month im obsessed with playing a certain style.

why do you have to be 1 genre or follow 1 guitarist, emulate them all.

this.
when i play songs, i play anything and everything that i deem fun and enjoyfull to play.
when i improvise, i'll do pentatonic blues stuff, the odd sweep thrown in. a bit of bluesesque shred. its nice to be diverse

Compulsive gear buyer
aaroncaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #14
lightdark

Play everything, yeah you might be able to sweep at a thousand beats per minute if you spend all your time in metal, but you won't be able to keep your phrasing without putting practice into that aspect either. I'm not going to say everything, cause, well quite frankly I don't play everything either. I stay away from jazz and usually blues, although, I do know that they could come up with some crazy cool stuff to play, but I just don't like to play that stuff. So just work on what you want, you'll end up with something gained. and yes, even heavy music has phrasing. I don't think that is something that is realized among guitarists. Think about it, would a blues guitarist find it hard to solo over heavier "shred" progressions and rhythms. some would, a majority could, but it wouldn't be nearly as good as a guitarist that plays that style, it's just what ever you want to play if you get what I'm saying.

Last edited by lightdark : 03-02-2013 at 10:32 PM.
lightdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #15
Dayn

Don't be a guitarist. Be a musician with a guitar. With an understanding of music theory, you can easily discern the nuances in styles and play anything. Not just 'guitar music', either.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #16
wiggedy

Thanks, so many replies and a lot of good points made.

I know I said "Master" that's probably a bit strong, I would be happy enough if I could jam with good muso's without disgracing myself.

I started playing 30yrs ago, and didn't really get anywhere. Anyway I felt like my technique and theory needed work. So I have been working on that for the last 18 months or so.... I know I have only scratched the surface after 18 months.

Anyway I feel if I norrowed it down to a particular style, it might be a better use of my time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoBeatz
That would imply he plays guitar with the aim of just progress. Whereas a lot of people including myself play only for enjoyment.

You might be right...

Last edited by wiggedy : 03-02-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:26 AM   #17
Hail
kill both bass players

music is music

stylizing it, polarizing it only serves to its detriment

play what sounds good. i've taken a lot of influence from tuvan throat singing lately. run with it
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:40 AM   #18
wiggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
music is music

stylizing it, polarizing it only serves to its detriment

play what sounds good. i've taken a lot of influence from tuvan throat singing lately. run with it

I musn't be explaining this very well.

I have very limited time for Guitar, with 3 kids. I want to be more efficient with the time I have. I like all music, just don't have time to learn it all.

Last edited by wiggedy : 03-03-2013 at 03:31 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #19
Livingtime

You should schedule and plan your practice then wiggedy, don't make things TOO specific though otherwise you'll get bored, unless you're one of those people who like perfectly laid out step-by-step plans.

Just have like 1:00-2:00 Song Learning, 2:00-2:30 Music theory, etc. This way you can make your time count.
Livingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:25 AM   #20
RyanStorm13

If you do any: Rock, Jazz, Metal, Country etc...then I would study Folk and Blues(these are where all my teachers starter with).
RyanStorm13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: