Hail
kill both bass players

whoa i think me and mdc just freaky fucking friday'd over here
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:24 AM   #22
GoldenGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfat
How can a question be stupid if it's from a non-experienced standpoint? I haven't been playing long and posed a question. You, knowing this, decided to take the time to be a dick. The mature thing to do is to answer to help or better yet, not reply at all.

You would probably be better off not giving advice because, obviously, you have little tolerance for beginners.

If you think your question isn't stupid even from a beginners viewpoint, then please tell us why.
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #23
ouchies
UG's OG

I think everyone needs to calm down. This guy might not just be a beginner guitar player, but a beginner to music as well. Go spend your time more efficiently.

Unless you're Hail cuz dat guyz funni.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:15 AM   #24
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Calm down kids, TS has expressed a willingness to learn so it's not cool to bag him.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:42 AM   #25
Captaincranky

Quote:
Meaning, can you play the first pattern of the minor pentatonic anywhere on the neck? In other words can I play that pattern starting on the A of the low E string making it in the key of A?
You can play any open position scale up the neck, but remember you have to compensate for the now missing top nut.

So, if you move Em pentatonic up a a fret to make it Fm pentatonic you now a a straight line finger pattern running across the neck in place of the top nut.

As one poster said, you to know where the "root (or 1st) of the scale is, so you can name it.

With that said, you need to learn the chromatic scale, which will be a pathway to understanding keys.

If you want to ask "stupid questions", which is a term I'm using euphemistically for any question that the regulars in this forum feel is beneath their dignity to answer, you should visit a site such as Justin guitar: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-0...nnersCourse.php and follow through with the beginner's course, which includes basic theory.

Most of the time, asking a basic question in this forum, will just net you a bunch of snot and derision, from people who have appointed themselves "music police". Nothing productive ever really comes of it. Go see Justin.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 03-04-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:15 AM   #26
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ I'd generally disagree but it's true in this case.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:12 AM   #27
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Most of the time, asking a basic question in this forum, will just net you a bunch of snot and derision, from people who have appointed themselves "music police". Nothing productive ever really comes of it. Go see Justin.

hey that's invalid cause i'm the only tonal beatcop on the case and i was open and nice this time ok so stop sweatin my rep mom
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #28
deepfat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
You can play any open position scale up the neck, but remember you have to compensate for the now missing top nut.

So, if you move Em pentatonic up a a fret to make it Fm pentatonic you now a a straight line finger pattern running across the neck in place of the top nut.

As one poster said, you to know where the "root (or 1st) of the scale is, so you can name it.

With that said, you need to learn the chromatic scale, which will be a pathway to understanding keys.

If you want to ask "stupid questions", which is a term I'm using euphemistically for any question that the regulars in this forum feel is beneath their dignity to answer, you should visit a site such as Justin guitar: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-0...nnersCourse.php and follow through with the beginner's course, which includes basic theory.

I'm starting to realize that every forum here is like that. Too bad because a more welcoming guitar community would be very helpful.

Thanks for the advice.
deepfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #29
fanapathy
B-Tuned

Quote:
I'm starting to realize that every forum here is like that. Too bad because a more welcoming guitar community would be very helpful.

Thanks for the advice.

It's not. There are friendly and helpful posters in all sections. UG is one of the more friendly internet forums I've posted in, there's some real nasty stuff out there. You have to deal with a lot of crap posting in discussions online... some find it hard to relate to a screen name as a real person or otherwise aren't very good at dealing with people in general so this stuff happens. Just brush off negative responses, it's better to expect them in advance. The guy who insulted you earlier is from what I've someone who contributes a lot and usually wants to help. Everyone can be an asshole once in a while. Cheers and keep on learning
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #30
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

TS, you just need to visit MT forums more often and you'll learn how different people here write about things and you just get used to it. They might say things a bit harshly but just ignore the harshness. Most of the time they are right about things.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #31
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Pentatonic major: Do Re Mi Sol (So) La Do (up an octave).
Pentatonic minor: Do Me Fa So Te Do (up an octave).
Learn how these sound ma homi.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:50 AM   #32
bondmorkret

Chipping in a bit late here, but yes of course you can. Also, try starting on different strings too - say the 12th fret of the A string. Just change the shape when you hit the B string to compensate for the tuning
Old 03-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #33
Adam808
I Wanna Be Sedated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
don't play patterns or scales - play sounds, movements, accents, dynamics, rhythms

play off of the harmony

hell, just play

your ear will tell you a hell of a lot better what sounds good than your eyes and hands could dream of

Thats deep man, I like it!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #34
Sean0913
Music Theory Renegade

Quote:
Meaning, can you play the first pattern of the minor pentatonic anywhere on the neck? In other words can I play that pattern starting on the A of the low E string making it in the key of A?

The key of A? Not necessarily...depends on what the underlying chords are.

What I hear you saying, and its a commin beginner question. Start the pattern on any note of the 6th string and have it take on the minor pent properties of that minor tonal center (assuming the progression is in the same Key as that starting pattern).

I'd say, Yes. If you get a Jam track in Gm and play a G Pent which means you'd start at the 3rd fret (in E standard tuning) and widdle widdle, you're playing within the scope of a G minor melody.

Best,

Sean

An Online, Theory Based Guitar School

Stuck? I Mentor Guitar Players for Free.

If you are interested in the Academy, I offer a free Skype-based Demo. Just contact me on my profile, and we can work out the times.
Sean0913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #35
Splanker

Aaaaaaaaaaaaanyway.. Deepfat, all the other politics aside, did you learn what you needed to know? (I can't work it out).

Over the last week I've been TRYING to go back to core principals to see what effect it has. Overall it's been good.. though a bit tedious. I've managed to find a few new riffs but mostly it's been a case of re-discovering the basics.

How's about you?
Splanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #36
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:

Yes, you can.
GuitarMunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #37
Mister A.J.
Ker-Blang-a-Woggle

I've no idea why you would want to, but yes you can.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Official Approval
show
Mister A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #38
ouchies
UG's OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister A.J.

Why wouldn't you want to?
Old 03-15-2013, 02:57 AM   #39
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchies
Why wouldn't you want to?
FWIW, I was watching, "Elementary", (The new Sherlock Holmes thing) tonight. Sherlock said,"opinions and ani, everyone has one.

It's true, you do learn something new everyday! For example, "ani" can be used in the place of "anuses", as a plural.

So, I suppose by inference, you could deduce that, "why would you want to", was an opinion.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #40
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister A.J.

it's convenient, that's why.
GuitarMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: