Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #1
Paddynbob

Boost for metal?

My bands recording our EP just now, and I'm playing a p90 equipped Les Paul through a Blackstar HT Stage 60. We play a lot of metal, and one of the songs that's coming up for recording is a kind of avenged sevenfold style song, and I need a bit of a gain boost. I know the stage 60 already does quite a bit of gain, but sometimes a I need a bit more for heavier songs live or whatever

I'm too skint for a boost pedal, so would a Death by Audio Apocalypse fuzz do for a bit of a boost? I don't really know a lot about boosting, never had to do it before. If not I have a DS1 and a metal muff with a broken distortion control

(I'll also be using a les Paul with a SD invader in for some parts)
Paddynbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #2
souperman08

Joyo Vintage Overdrive. Gain at minimum, volume at max.

(Or any tubescreamer. MXR GT-OD, Way Huge Green Rhino, BBE Green Screamer, etc etc etc.)
Old 03-03-2013, 06:09 AM   #3
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Some people like Digitechs Bad Monkey. They go for cheap as well.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #4
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by souperman08
Joyo Vintage Overdrive. Gain at minimum, volume at max.

(Or any tubescreamer. MXR GT-OD, Way Huge Green Rhino, BBE Green Screamer, etc etc etc.)

I'm not able to get anything else in time
Old 03-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
Emperor's Child
PUT YOU IN MY OVEN!

Ideally, you really do need an OD pedal but something cheap like a Bad Monkey or SD-1 should be more than fine.

EDIT: You don't have time? That's a bit of a bummer. Do any of your bandmates have pedals you can borrow?

Last edited by Emperor's Child : 03-03-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Emperor's Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
MickAlmighty
UGs ONLY Human-Raccoon

Why don't you sell your metal muff and get yourself a boost???

You sure as hell don't need the MM with your blackstar

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
MickAlmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

A metal muff is way too fizzy for that type of distortion see if you can sell/trade it in.

Have you tried using the mm as a boost? Cut the gain to almost non existant, set eq controls to noon, find unity volume raise the volume lightly.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know

Last edited by losing battle : 03-03-2013 at 08:54 AM.
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
Robbgnarly

I agree the bad Monkey is a great boost pedal as is the GFS Greenie Classic. I own both and both give theit own little spin on tone. The GFS works better with My Peavey windsor than the Bad Monkey does, but both work well with my JCM 2000. I do tend to use the Bad Monkey with the JCM more because of the bass control knob.

You can use the DS-1 as a boost in the same way you would a TS-9 (many people actually use these as boost pedals) level all the way up, tone to taste, Gain off
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Last edited by Robbgnarly : 03-03-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
madmax33096
Eltitnikufesin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
You can use the DS-1 as a boost in the same way you would a TS-9 (many people actually use these as boost pedals) level all the way up, tone to taste, Gain off

That's exactly how I use my TS9. Level all the way up, tone around 8 or 9 O' Clock, and then the Gain barely up at all. For soloing, I use the solo boost channel on my footswitch because my amp has a solo output boost. REALLY awesome feature.
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer 30th Anniversay
ISP Decimator G String Model
madmax33096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #10
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax33096
That's exactly how I use my TS9. Level all the way up, tone around 8 or 9 O' Clock, and then the Gain barely up at all. For soloing, I use the solo boost channel on my footswitch because my amp has a solo output boost. REALLY awesome feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I agree the bad Monkey is a great boost pedal as is the GFS Greenie Classic. I own both and both give theit own little spin on tone. The GFS works better with My Peavey windsor than the Bad Monkey does, but both work well with my JCM 2000. I do tend to use the Bad Monkey with the JCM more because of the bass control knob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way Cool JR.
The Metal Muff with top boost works great as a boost, cant speak for the other MM's. I also have a Tubescreamer and can vouch that the MM sounds damn good (almost identical) as a boost in comparison. You want to use it with Volume all the way up and distortion all the way down. You could bump the distortion up just a tiny little bit if you want but it's not needed. The best thing is having a 3 band EQ to shape the tone of the boost.

long story short...since you have no time to buy a dedicated OD the Muff will work great for now. Just for reference in the future, a great sounding budget friendly Tubescreamer to look at is the GFS Greenie Classic. It's way more versatile than the original. Another would be the Ibanez TS-7 (discontinued) It is also cheaper and more versatile than the original with the added hot switch. Both of them still have the original TS-9 circuit and the proper JRC4558D op-amp people seem to love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by losing battle
A metal muff is way too fizzy for that type of distortion see if you can sell/trade it in.

Have you tried using the mm as a boost? Cut the gain to almost non existant, set eq controls to noon, find unity volume raise the volume lightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAlmighty
Why don't you sell your metal muff and get yourself a boost???

You sure as hell don't need the MM with your blackstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor's Child
Ideally, you really do need an OD pedal but something cheap like a Bad Monkey or SD-1 should be more than fine.

EDIT: You don't have time? That's a bit of a bummer. Do any of your bandmates have pedals you can borrow?

The reason i have my metal muff is because i had it before I had my blackstar. As for using it as a boost, as previously mentioned, the distortion control is unfortunately broken :/ always has been, but didn't realise when i first got it.

Selling it would seem a good idea, but how much would I get for it with broken controls?

Is the fuzz just a bad idea as a boost?

Thanks for all your replies, sorry for the slowness of mine, haha
Old 03-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
The Neighbor of the Beast

Check out Digitech's Hardwire CM-2. It's a better Bad Monkey.
667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
Nico the Great
Damned Icon

Try out a Tubescreamer. Sounds like it's right up your alley.

Damned Icon - Portraits of a Man EP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Nico the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico the Great
Try out a Tubescreamer. Sounds like it's right up your alley.

I just don't have the cash for a tubescreamer atm. 17, still in full time education, using all my money for transport and such, haha. I could maybe afford something like a bad monkey... I might have to sell some shit

Edit : this may be the daftest question ever, but I've never needed a boost pedal. Does a tubescreamer actually have a tube in it? Its just because you get all these backstair pedals with tubes and shit, and then i saw replicas up on ebay and wondered

Last edited by Paddynbob : 03-04-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
gerraguitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddynbob
Does a tubescreamer actually have a tube in it? Its just because you get all these backstair pedals with tubes and shit, and then i saw replicas up on ebay and wondered

no, i think that one is called the tube king or something, by ibanez. i do think as far as boosting goes a tubescreamer style pedal is always the way to go. and yes a bad monkey or even a used super overdrive from boss would do the trick, and those are pretty easy to find
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
gerraguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #15
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Some people like Digitechs Bad Monkey. They go for cheap as well.

Bad Monkey....its a bad mamajamma man. Loved that pedal. It would confuse the hell out of my fellow metal heads to see that lil cheap thang on my board but it served its purpose before its trip to GC among many other pedals for what i have now.
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #16
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Quote:
I just don't have the cash for a tubescreamer atm. 17, still in full time education, using all my money for transport and such, haha. I could maybe afford something like a bad monkey... I might have to sell some shit

Edit : this may be the daftest question ever, but I've never needed a boost pedal. Does a tubescreamer actually have a tube in it? Its just because you get all these backstair pedals with tubes and shit, and then i saw replicas up on ebay and wondered

Just try to find the most basic and inexpensive OD pedal. Anything in your range will suffice. Most all of them will give your the same boost. The OD style and tone will change of course but what your needing it to do will work for any OD.
Epiphone Prophecy
Old 03-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #17
madmax33096
Eltitnikufesin

Quote:

I suggest you look into This then.
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer 30th Anniversay
ISP Decimator G String Model
madmax33096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #18
The Neighbor of the Beast

667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #19
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Hardwires are awesome if you can grab one on the Ebay!
Epiphone Prophecy
Old 03-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #20
Offworld92
One among the fence.

This looks nearly mint. http://www.guitarcenter.com/-i3018007.gc

I have one of these as well. http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...203-i2995735.gc Pretty cool pedal.

Basic tubescreamer clone. These go for $40 new regardless. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Joyo-JF-01-...=item3f22ae646d

There are lots of good options out there for really cheap, all you have to do is look used. Look on your Craigslist too.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: