Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
Moose_Guitarist
UG's Only Moose Guitarist

Garnet 'Stencil' amp?

Hey guys,

found this on kijiji in Toronto:
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...QAdIdZ459276840

Anyone have any info on it? I play folk rock, alt country (City and Colour, The Sadies, Grey Kingdom, etc.) I kinda like the idea of built in tremelo. I am playing a Epiphone Sheraton II.

I have never heard of these before. Are they kind of a 'diamond in the rough' or a 'piece of shit?'
Moose_Guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
Jhachey22
Bαnned on the Run

It's a neat vintage amp, but not for $450. Garnets are great amps for the right price, but there's too many guys out there trying to use the BTO association with the brand to squeeze more money out of it.

With that being said, the amp in question isn't really a "branded" amp. It was one of Gar Gillies amps that was rebranded and sold by another company, like tubes are today. There are lots of those amps around, Garnet even has a list of them here, so don't feel like you have to jump on "the Coolest vintage tube amp on kijiji!".

For an idea of what's out there, there's a Laney Cub 12 for $200 and an old Beltone amp for $260[/url] on your local Kijiji. If you have $400 that would want to drop on an amp, I think a '64 Gibson Scout for $400 or a Traynor Bassmaster for $450 would be better investments, both tonally and in resale value.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Jhachey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Moose_Guitarist
UG's Only Moose Guitarist

Thanks Jhachey, I really appreciate the advice. I think I will pass on it. Do you know anything about the tone of the Gibson? Would it work for what I wana play? Also, maybe a suggested price on what I could haggle the guy down too fairly?

Last edited by Moose_Guitarist : 02-24-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Moose_Guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 AM   #4
RGallagherFan
UG's only Treble Booster

I've got a Garnet "United" Stencil amp. I think it was designed for bass but I use it as a guitar amp.

It's a pretty big amp, but you can really crank it. When my old band used to practice in my garage we'd dime the volume and it would sing like crazy.

Problem is, when the tubes died out and I got a tech to look at it they said the repair would cost something like $250 for tubes, cleaning, 3 prong grounded cable, etc. That's basically worth more than the amp in today's market. I'll probably get around to getting it repaired sometime soon when I have the money.
1973 Japanese Les Paul

Amp:
Vox AC30C2

Effects:
MJM Brit Bender MKII tonebender clone
Boss Blues-Driver
Fulltone Clyde Standard Wah
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Catalinbread Echorec
RGallagherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
Jhachey22
Bαnned on the Run

This video should give a rough answer to your tone questions

As far as haggling, check for tears in the tolex/speaker cloth, thats always good for $20-$50 off. Do a little bit of research into th amp and find out what may or may not be original on this particular amp.

But don't feel like you have to haggle. If the amp is worth $400, give the dude $400. You would want the same consideration when it comes time to sell some of your gear.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Jhachey22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: