Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #21
Dreamdancer11

i was listening to One Big Rush by Satch and i remembered this thread....here is a good example of a tune where without the proper technique in bending and vibrato it ll never sound right.Those vocal like screaming notes cant be produced by just wiggling your fingers....
Dreamdancer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #22
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Satch has a very sweet style of vibrato. He will either just his hands (duh) the good ol fashioned way. Or my fav which is using his hands in conjunction with the bar. That man has a lot of little tricks that have to be slowed down and watched to be noticed. Vai has adapted alot of his moves as well.
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #23
CragDweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facecut
There is not really a secret to it, just bending with release or further bend periodically on top. The required control however only comes with good ear and grinding those bends.
The video shows that your simple vibrato needs some work still. Slow the frequency down and enhance the amplitude. I also suggest copying zakk wylde or yngwie for some time, from there you can reduce the amplitude of vibrato to your taste if it is too much for you, but you sure have the mechanics down after that. Itīs worth it to dedicate much time into this as its the key stylistic tool for rock and metal.

Thanks for the suggestions.
CragDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #24
zaccda01
Banned

When I played violin it was more of a fluent, wrist movement...try holding a note and moving your wrist like violin players do (plenty of videos out there)
zaccda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #25
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Guess again. Donīt argue so much and stop defending your playing. Listen to the feedback and try to gain awareness.

I'm not arguing, I was just giving my opinion.

If anything I've been very accepting that I need to look at many areas of my playing. I came here for a critique, after all.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #26
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

You should be able to hear the difference between your vibrato in the video and and a more professional sounding one. Try to close the gap and really listen to what a good vibrato is. You'll develop it eventually.

It's not necessarily the same vibrato sound for every song either. Some songs suit a nice and wide sounding vibrato, other songs not so much. It's a little hard for me to put it into words because I don't think about my vibrato when I play, but that's basically it.

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #27
Facecut
Vorsitzender

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaccda01
When I played violin it was more of a fluent, wrist movement...try holding a note and moving your wrist like violin players do (plenty of videos out there)

Horizontal vibrato doesnīt cut it on an electric though. The pitiful results you get from that attempt are all over youtube.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #28
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

And violins are fretless so the slightest motions of your wrist and fingers will change the pitch of the note being played.
Epiphone Prophecy
Old 03-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #29
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Yea I can hear the difference between the vibrato, I wasn't sure what was wrong with my bending. It seems in pitch and when I test it with a tuner it is in pitch, but the correct technique is to use the wrist a lot more than I am so I'll do that.

It will make everything more controlled and it'll sound better.

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 03-05-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #30
Geldin

Quote:
Horizontal vibrato doesnīt cut it on an electric though. The pitiful results you get from that attempt are all over youtube.

I can get a full quarter tone of difference in either direction with horizontal vibrato. On its own, that's not a whole lot, but added to vertical vibrato, it adds a lot of room for additional expression and control.

Bad vibrato is bad vibrato, regardless of what technique you use.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #31
Lightnin08

Look at Buddy's fingers and the way he bends and does vibrato in this vid. Especially the intro, solo, and the part at 2:52. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Lightnin08 : 03-05-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Lightnin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #32
hansome21
UG Fanatic

From the man himself, notice how amazing his sound, particularly the ones at the end of the video:

hansome21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #33
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Like i said.....Zakk.....the Viking.......in the darkness he waits................
Epiphone Prophecy
Old 03-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #34
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Quote:
Ok. I'll pay close attention to it. Thanks. Freepower, our teacher guru here, seems to think that iit's fine to use the fingers to bend but it's a second best, and because I do want the best technique I can possibly have I'll look to change it for the best possible one.

It's good to be able to do it both ways! For the classic "rock vibrato", especially on the first finger, you need to get the hang of the wrist movement, but you should check out what you can do with enough finger strength -

(still not exactly just from the fingers)

Quote:
Honestly, this teacher is very good, he has a very high percentage of students pass their guitar exams. We have these in the UK, RGT. I don't know why he didn't pick up on it. When I go back to him I'll talk to him about it.

It's actually a requirement from grade 3 to be able to do horizontal, vertical and "wrist" vibrato competently for the lead playing section. It's hardly the most important section of the exam but it's in there.

I'm a RGT member too, they're a great system. ^^

Quote:

It "cuts it" when you want a narrower, more "in tune" vibrato. Most rock players don't bother to develop their horizontal vibrato but it can sound brilliant. Check out how Allan uses vertical vibrato for certain notes and horizontal for other ones.

Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:09 AM   #35
Dreamdancer11

Horizontal vibrato is 99.9% useless if you play blues,rock,hard rock,metal,country,popetc etc etc.Its used mostly in classical guitar or in jazz where they basically dont like vibrato in the first place and they want something so subtle that is barely audible.Horizontal vibrato is useful in unfretted instruments like violin but on electric guitar is almost useless.You can learn it if you want but 99.9 percent of the time you ll use the vertical one .....
Old 03-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #36
Facecut
Vorsitzender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
It "cuts it" when you want a narrower, more "in tune" vibrato.

Why would I want that
(kidding)

With cutting it I had the ability of making a strong statement in the sense of a rock scenario in mind.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #37
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Sure, I just wanted to stick up a bit for horizontal vibrato, it's not useless. It's just not what most rock lead sounds like. ^^
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #38
ChucklesMginty
Avicii - Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansome21
notice how amazing his sound, particularly the ones at the end of the video:

Eh, if that's what you're into... I find it a bit over the top personally, but then every about Zakk's playing is like that.

I think the best player to copy for vibrato as a beginner would be someone like Clapton or Gilmour.

Last edited by ChucklesMginty : 03-06-2013 at 08:24 AM.
ChucklesMginty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #39
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

So I've been watching this video. It's the one that seemed to explain it in a way that best suited me.

I'll post a video tomorrow because I think I'm making improvements, and if you (anyone) has the time perhaps they'd be nice enough to look at it and tell me if I'm on the right path when compared to the old video.

Thanks,

Quote:

Old 03-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #40
Dreamdancer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
So I've been watching this video. It's the one that seemed to explain it in a way that best suited me.

I'll post a video tomorrow because I think I'm making improvements, and if you (anyone) has the time perhaps they'd be nice enough to look at it and tell me if I'm on the right path when compared to the old video.

Thanks,

Dude those things dont happen overnight....throw your ego out of the window(critique your playing harshly instead of constantly trying to defend it) visit the internet less and go into the woodshed and practise....great vibrato isnt conquered in a week or a month...takes maturity that comes only through time and correct practise.....post a video after a few months of practise...

Rate This Thread: