Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
ab521

Beginner Chord Question

hey guys

im a beginner to playing acoustic guitar on which i have steel strings , but i have a problem with the pain that im feeling from some chords. For example when i play an A minor chord or a C chord i can easily make the shape but the very top string on these chords really dig into my pointer finger which is painful and utlimatley that means i get a muted sound on this string.

Do you think my calluses have not developed enough to completely protect my tips from this pain and did anyone have similar experiences to mine thanks.
ab521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Got to toughen those finger tips up. Need callouses.
I got it. I took a day off if it got too bad.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
rmaguitar

Yes it takes a while to toughen up but at the same time don't worry too much about buzzes and muted notes in chords as you start out.
Don't press down REALLY hard to get clear notes if it hurts because it will happen naturally over time as your fingers get stronger your chords will get clearer.
rmaguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Yeah once i strated practicing regularly the pain and soreness went away pretty quickly. And the callouses will come with time. Just keep it up. Acoustic is a little harder on the digits than electric guitar due to the heavier guage of string but this again will soon pass.
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:36 AM   #5
DaysofGrace
THE Rhythm Guitarist

I have to agree with what pretty much everyone else said. Acoustic guitar can be a bit of a shrew sometimes. Personally, when I shifted from playing a lot of electric to almost exclusively acoustic, I found that when I played just until the point where there was a legitimate pain (by that, I mean when it goes from discomfort to extremely mild pain) and I did this daily. The problem resolved itself relatively quickly.

I just advise against playing until your fingers are raw. It'll make them sore and that much more difficult to practice the next day.

Good luck, man.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:46 AM   #6
StuartBahn

Agreed. Just hang in there for now and have faith that it's temporary.

If you're still having a tough time after a few weeks you always have the option of using lighter strings. You sacrifice a little tone but the pay off is well worth it if you're getting frustrated with the pain.
StuartBahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
Kurt Rissart

Also, depending on what acoustic you started with, your action (the distance between the strings and the frets) may be a bit high. There's plenty of information out there on string height and how to lower the action. It's easy stuff and better to do it yourself than shell out the bucks to have someone else do it. The lower the action, the less pressure you have to use to sound the chord.
Kurt Rissart is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: