Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
UFC on VHS
Megadeth>Metallica

Let's talk modern day guitarist compared to past (skill)

Ok so I got into a debate with a freind the other day, we were talking about the level of guitar playing in bands in artists today vs older bands and artists.

Now the obvious thought is that things only improve over time and obviosly this is true when it comes to learning guitar with the Internet and modern technology musicians have it easy comparing to past generations. So you would think the answer is a no brainer, but is it?

On the other hand though current music IMO is watered down maybe I haven't found the right artists but I mean I look at the skill level of some bands and it just makes me laugh compared to the older guys.

What do you guys think also just a side thought do you think that modern technology and the ability to break everything down with tabs and that could actually be holding musicians back?

Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
UFC on VHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
chronowarp

Uh...dude.
The baseline for a guitar player is infinitely higher than it was 60 years ago.
Bands playing technically simple parts doesn't mean they aren't more capable than shred fags from the 80s or ...wait...when were guitar players ever good in history?
Old 03-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
slap-a-bass
Slapper of the bass

Led Zepp era was full of great guitar players that will never be matched in skill or talent by anyone ever
slap-a-bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
steven seagull
not really a seagull

I think the question is a no brainer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
chronowarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by slap-a-bass
Led Zepp era was full of great guitar players that will never be matched in skill or talent by anyone ever

ya for sure
when jimmy page is the cream of the crop you know you've got some pretty big problems.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

I think the no brainer is the question..

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

What was considered impressive then:

What is considered impressive now:

Basically, yes, musicians have become so much more skilled it's untrue. As a musician in this era, I think music has moved on from the classic bands, and as for modern technology, I don't even think there's an argument to be had, it helps people play, and at this point in my career, I only really need to learn repertoire to analyse harmony, or for a technical exercise, so, for both, programs like Guitar Pro are incredibly useful, as it tells me everything I need to know in a quick glance. It's just like sheet music, really.

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
supersac

^yeah but van halen looks alot cooler

i agree with your whole post though

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

This is soooo stupid.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
Metalisnotmusic
UG Newbie

look at that Van Halen, thinking he's tough shit. Sucking on that cigarette like he's worth a damn. Even with only half a brain in his head now from all the cancer he should be able to tell that's not music. What happened to the greats? Like the greatest guitar player to ever live, Steven Seagal. Now there's a guitar player, and a damn patriot too. You don't see Steven Seagal walking around with his tongue hanging out, pissing his pants and chasing the Ice Cream Man. No modern guitar players will ever be as good as the classics
Metalisnotmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
mjones1992

...that's all I gotta say on that matter
mjones1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
chronowarp

I wish we could go back to the good ole days...

sure is no...

Old 03-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #13
ccannon1
Band Geek

I fail to see how modern technology could hold us back... that actually makes no sense at all.

Also, I don't know what you mean by skill. Like, how fast they can play? How skillful they are with crafting their own parts? With improvisation? It's too broad a question and really you can't debate it.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #14
Raster
~.~

That's a relative question, but it's actually a smart one. Don't let the guys that show no opinion think this is stupid.
In my humble opinion, we have our lifes easier now, any person can simply pick up a guitar and search for a instructional video and be at a decent level in a short amount of time.
Back in the days, you could only learn how to master the guitar either by yourself, or with the help of someone you knew.
And that's the difference, we have tons of players out there today, that learned how to play with constant exercises teached by great players, this doesn't mean that you are a great player.
In the early stages of guitar playing everyone had to basically figure it out by themselves, which would create their own sound (Ex: Hendrix)
Nowadays when we look at the best guitar players we look at players that have a perfect technique and songwriting (Govan, Petrucci, Vai etc). And with this whole prog-metal scene you end up seeing bands trying to achieve perfection on every level, creating new techniques, over-mastering the old ones out there already (AAL, PTH etc.)

So it's like a 50/50 answer, back in the days everyone had to figure it out by themselves therefore creating their own sounds, styles and music.
Nowadays we tend to achieve perfection to create new sounds, styles and music. But we have that task easier, since there is so much information and teachers out there.

How can we define insanity?
Flappy Paddle Gearbox!
Raster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #15
TheHydra

I wouldn't lump Govan in with the whole "perfect technique" crowd as if that's all he's about. He is impressive, yes, but he's also been obsessively learning music by ear on guitar since he was four years old. He has an extremely developed ear and sense of melody.
TheHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:58 AM   #16
chronowarp

^for sure.

Govan isn't a consequence of his technique like a lot of shit modern players (petrucci, mab). He's just extremely technically gifted, because he work his ass off, but it's only a vehicle for his musical expression in the moment.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #17
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Come on, this is completely subjective. It's about opinions. Some people like Petrucci's style, some like Hendrix's style. They are different but you can't say which style is better. But technically guitarists are so much better now than in the past. But it doesn't mean their music is more enjoyable to listen to.

I'm sure all the best players learn music by ear and not using tabs. At that level it would be ridiculous to use tabs because people like Steve Vai and John Petrucci can play whatever comes to their mind.

And what's wrong with perfect technique? Isn't it a good thing? If your technique is perfect, you can make whatever sound good. I don't like all shredders (like Yngvie) but I do like John Petrucci. He has some beautiful solos. And I still appreciate the "perfect technique" shredders. They do their thing, some people like it, I don't. It's their opinion, this is mine.

And all that "today's music sucks, bring back the 80s" crap is just BS. Of course the mainstream bands will start to annoy you because you hear them all the time and all the mainstream bands sound the same. But wait ten years and listen to the band again, you might have that kind of nostalgic feeling or something and you start liking it. That has also to do with the fact that nobody does that kind of music any more. For example everybody hated the glam bands in the 80s but nowadays everybody's like: "They were awesome, I wish it was 80s right now." If it was the 80s, everybody would play glam stuff and you would get annoyed because most of the bands would sound the same. All the mainstream bands of course follow the contemporary trends and that's why they sound the same. And people only remember bands that have been a bit more original.

So basically my point is, mainstream music sucks and has always sucked. You only remember the "strongest" bands that invented something new, not the guys who just followed the contemporary trends.

OK, enough of this nonsense.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #18
Myshadow46_2
Join the pack.

There have always been good guitarists; there will always be bad guitarists.

So what?
Myshadow46_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #19
Archer250

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Come on, this is completely subjective. It's about opinions. Some people like Petrucci's style, some like Hendrix's style. They are different but you can't say which style is better. But technically guitarists are so much better now than in the past. But it doesn't mean their music is more enjoyable to listen to.

I'm sure all the best players learn music by ear and not using tabs. At that level it would be ridiculous to use tabs because people like Steve Vai and John Petrucci can play whatever comes to their mind.

And what's wrong with perfect technique? Isn't it a good thing? If your technique is perfect, you can make whatever sound good. I don't like all shredders (like Yngvie) but I do like John Petrucci. He has some beautiful solos. And I still appreciate the "perfect technique" shredders. They do their thing, some people like it, I don't. It's their opinion, this is mine.

And all that "today's music sucks, bring back the 80s" crap is just BS. Of course the mainstream bands will start to annoy you because you hear them all the time and all the mainstream bands sound the same. But wait ten years and listen to the band again, you might have that kind of nostalgic feeling or something and you start liking it. That has also to do with the fact that nobody does that kind of music any more. For example everybody hated the glam bands in the 80s but nowadays everybody's like: "They were awesome, I wish it was 80s right now." If it was the 80s, everybody would play glam stuff and you would get annoyed because most of the bands would sound the same. All the mainstream bands of course follow the contemporary trends and that's why they sound the same. And people only remember bands that have been a bit more original.

So basically my point is, mainstream music sucks and has always sucked. You only remember the "strongest" bands that invented something new, not the guys who just followed the contemporary trends.

OK, enough of this nonsense.

Your comment, is -- as always -- the best.
Archer250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #20
evolucian

How can anyone pick on Eddie... that's just not right. The guy was extremely inventive and his feel is unsurpassed. Same with Hendrix.

I was reading an interview of CC de Ville this morning that kind of deals with this... kind of.
-> With some musician who you want to be like, he can make a mistake and it's like, don't worry, he's just having a bad night. If I make a mistake, its like "See? I told you he sucks!" We could be on our ninth album each one could sell like 5 million units... the tenth one sucks and one guy will go to another and say "I told you they wouldn't last. I told you it was luck."

I can actually hear it right now. I was like that. I thought all those guys sucked because they weren't doing Michael Schenker. If it wasn't the speed of U.F.O.'s Force it, then I thought it sucked. Now that I'm older, I never want to make that mistake, but I can identify with the kids that did make that mistake. I learned at an early age, wait a minute, thats not what it's really all about. Don't ever sacrifice the playing for the coolness. You can do both. <- CC de Ville; Guitar, October 1990

The older you get, the more you realise how something is actually brilliant. I'm finding that out myself as time dawdles on. Picking up on all the nuances of the yesteryear guitarists that made them brilliant in the day and still today - opinions may vary on this matter as the thread suggests. Jimmy Page did have shoddy technique and a disgusting vibrato - but he made it work for his songs and the band as a whole. They were the greatest band ever and so frikkin huge - it's actually not easy to imagine by how much until you read a roadies biography on the band. He was also very embarrased about his fingerstyle technique but HFS!! It was amazing what he did! To compare to Govan is ridiculous. I've listened to "Erotic Cakes" and didn't find anything great in it. Not even Kotzen's solo could save it for me - but some others do like it so whatever they gain from it is good enough for me. Govan can not write in that vein (Led Zep) although he can do anything and immitate various animals/artists and looks like a bum. An interesting test would be to have Page/Plant write something and have Govan/Madonna write something and see which one actually hits the charts/outsells the other. It would be a tough challenge.

Was listening to Arch Enemy's "Khaos Legions" earlier and these guys just have the sweetest sound/compositions. Problem is; I can't compare it to any current or yesteryear band as it doesn't seem fair to do that. Each has their own qualities from which they draw to stand out and they each do a brilliant job of it. But I digress.

In the spirit of the opening post, skill of a guitarist is much more than technique. It encompasses composition too, amongst other things - but the composition aspect is the thing I look at as it shows the use of their techniques in a song context. And let's face it - many people can blow their wad and suck. It's just how nature intended them to be.

The late 70's/80's was all about wad blowing, and only a few managed to survive that era. Tapping came into the forefront and if you didn't do it then you were just plain awful. So people had to become inventive as the Boss at the time (Eddie) was still blowing people's minds with his creative uses and wasn't stopping. Reb Beach was a cool guitarist and inventive in his soloing and then...Beavis and Butthead killed Winger. Sad day, shit episode.

Nuno Bettencourt - another frikkin legend from the 90's. Man could this guy play. Then Gary Cherone mistakenly decides to do the van Halen album and the next Extreme album bombs just as bad and they go bye bye. Stuck to doing Adele tours. Ah well. But anyways... another guitarist which no one can compare to. I digress again...

No! One can not compare today with yesteryear bands. It's not fair. We just have to live with today's music as its almost all we have and it would be fair to give them a chance as they grow into their sound. Technology today is something one has good things and bad things about. Valves still return... just saying.
evolucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: