Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #41
schwinginbatman
Excuse me, good sir!
 
schwinginbatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum
I just want to hear some good metal riffs, technical or not. Something that makes my head move or my spine tingle. If I go to my CD collection from the mid 80s that's not a problem; if I turn on the radio it is.

Everything sounds much clearer and sharper (and yes, better played) now than it used to - just like TV programmes look much better in high definition - but the content isn't there. There's literally nothing I really like in today's metal scene. That's a bit depressing. I listen to Kerrang to and from work and all I get is American frat boy vocal harmonies and guitar tones polished to within a millimetre of their life.


If you're looking to Kerrang for your modern metal, you obviously aren't looking very hard.
__________________
MINECRAFT!


Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashIsWin
It's like someone listening to some really old blues or whatever and going, "What a prick. Obviously you ****ing 'woke up this morning'. Twat."
schwinginbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #42
evolucian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I wish SA had a radio station that played rock, let alone metal. Sigh...... dunno what you bitches be bitchin' about
evolucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #43
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist
 
CryogenicHusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccannon1
I fail to see how modern technology could hold us back... that actually makes no sense at all.


a lot of people develop the bad habit of finding tabs on the internet instead of learning songs by ear? Only thing I can think of.
CryogenicHusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #44
TheHydra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolucian
Sidenote - the youtube vid "solos" is about effective as Zappa's "solos" album was... null and void.

Whoa whoa whoa. Let's calm down here.
TheHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #45
evolucian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHydra
Whoa whoa whoa. Let's calm down here.

lol, come on... you think that album captured Frank well? Like really? I didn't think so at all
evolucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #46
Hail
kill both bass players
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolucian
lol, come on... you think that album captured Frank well? Like really? I didn't think so at all


yeah it was a piece of shit and i'm a fanboy

but then again, a lot of his music was shit on a record and that's why we love it

but really, jesus that album sucked
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #47
AWACS
I want all of the things
 
AWACS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The frozen wasteland that is, central canada.
Evolucian, I'm still waiting for you to post a video in this thread that showcases Robert Fripp.
__________________
Caution: This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Mesa Boogie Mark V PRS SE Cu24 Voltage S212 Pedals!
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle CMATMods Signa Drive Digitech BadMonkey
Boss TU-3 TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #48
Hail
kill both bass players
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas
yeah but robert fripp isn't a guitarist, he's a musician
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #49
evolucian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
AWACS, if you read any of my posts you would have seen that I said you needed to do your own homework to discover it. There was even a hint in case things got too difficult. Ah well, so much for that. Good luck to you
evolucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #50
chronowarp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer250
Yes, because everybody's perfect. Right?


Oh and to all the "it's too technical, it's not music" BS; it's because of mindsets like that that ended up with crap like this :

i don't care if something is technical, but if it's shit and a linear scale exercise with no sense of melody or purpose...then it's shit...and he's shit. so shit, bro.
__________________
Check out my band Socrates and the Lava Gods
chronowarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #51
chronowarp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsawguitar
...what were you saying about guitarists in the 70s?



Playing starts about a minute in.

...what were you saying about modern guitarists?



__________________
Check out my band Socrates and the Lava Gods
chronowarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #52
UFC on VHS
Megadeth>Metallica
 
UFC on VHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryogenicHusk
a lot of people develop the bad habit of finding tabs on the internet instead of learning songs by ear? Only thing I can think of.


That's pretty much what I was getting at and as someone pointed out people nowadays are more interested in learning someone else's solo note for note insted of improving there own lead skill. Yes people have always wanted to imitate their favorite artists but it has never been easier then now. People used to guess around a lot more.

Obviously this doesn't apply to most people on the site but we kinda have a problem with the parrot zombie epidemic (IMO at least) I've seen people play very hard riffs songs etc but can't even tell me a few notes on the guitar or how to play along in the right key.

I just thought it was an interesting thought because I know earlier on I was one of those parrots who could only play tabs I learned and didn't know any theory. Nowadays I try to learn songs by ear and rely on technology to a minimum but yes I still do use tabs I just don't think there in stone anymore.

It may seem to make absolutely no sense to sone but I know for me personally the ability to type any song on ultimate guitar held me back, but that was my own negligence I guess.
__________________
Proud Owner of..

Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
UFC on VHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #53
chronowarp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFC on VHS
That's pretty much what I was getting at and as someone pointed out people nowadays are more interested in learning someone else's solo note for note insted of improving there own lead skill. Yes people have always wanted to imitate their favorite artists but it has never been easier then now. People used to guess around a lot more.

Obviously this doesn't apply to most people on the site but we kinda have a problem with the parrot zombie epidemic (IMO at least) I've seen people play very hard riffs songs etc but can't even tell me a few notes on the guitar or how to play along in the right key.

I just thought it was an interesting thought because I know earlier on I was one of those parrots who could only play tabs I learned and didn't know any theory. Nowadays I try to learn songs by ear and rely on technology to a minimum but yes I still do use tabs I just don't think there in stone anymore.

It may seem to make absolutely no sense to sone but I know for me personally the ability to type any song on ultimate guitar held me back, but that was my own negligence I guess.

...and you honestly believe guitarists in the 70s knew ANYTHING about music theory? Really now.

People use guitar pro and transcribe to slow shit down and learn it now.
Back then they used to play records on repeat and slow them down to pick out harder sections? What's different?
__________________
Check out my band Socrates and the Lava Gods
chronowarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #54
AWACS
I want all of the things
 
AWACS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The frozen wasteland that is, central canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolucian
AWACS, if you read any of my posts you would have seen that I said you needed to do your own homework to discover it. There was even a hint in case things got too difficult. Ah well, so much for that. Good luck to you


Well then, in my eyes, and after trying to listen to Epitaph by King Crimson, Tosin Abasi is a better guitarist and musician than Robert Fripp.
__________________
Caution: This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Mesa Boogie Mark V PRS SE Cu24 Voltage S212 Pedals!
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle CMATMods Signa Drive Digitech BadMonkey
Boss TU-3 TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #55
donegan_zealot
UG's Clueless Guitarist
 
donegan_zealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Recreational Meth Vehicle
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronowarp
...and you honestly believe guitarists in the 70s knew ANYTHING about music theory? Really now.

People use guitar pro and transcribe to slow shit down and learn it now.
Back then they used to play records on repeat and slow them down to pick out harder sections? What's different?


they actually had to use their ear. they might not have known that the interval was called a perfect fifth but the majority back then probably had a better ear of knowing how many frets two notes were away from each other better than people now.
donegan_zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:08 AM   #56
evolucian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWACS
Well then, in my eyes, and after trying to listen to Epitaph by King Crimson, Tosin Abasi is a better guitarist and musician than Robert Fripp.

Fair enough... let alone you chose something from 1969 from their debut album. Not bad for a first step, as you went right to the beginning. Of course I can't ask you to track their progress through time as you'd probably land up nuts but you'd definitely land up with a better musical knowledge and an omfg perspective.

Thanks for playing

Sidenote - these two musicians are equal, and if they had to collaborate on something - it would probably be the scariest thing in the world to listen to. Considering what Fripp and Belew pulled off, Abasi and Fripp would be just as brilliant. Maybe bring Tony Levin back on bass and Marotta on skins. Sadly Fripp retired so we'll never ever know

Last edited by evolucian : 03-08-2013 at 03:33 AM.
evolucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:35 AM   #57
AWACS
I want all of the things
 
AWACS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The frozen wasteland that is, central canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolucian
Fair enough... let alone you chose something from 1969 from their debut album. Not bad for a first step, as you went right to the beginning. Of course I can't ask you to track their progress through time as you'd probably land up nuts but you'd definitely land up with a better musical knowledge and an omfg perspective.

Thanks for playing

Sidenote - these two musicians are equal, and if they had to collaborate on something - it would probably be the scariest thing in the world to listen to. Considering what Fripp and Belew pulled off, Abasi and Fripp would be just as brilliant. Maybe bring Tony Levin back on bass and Marotta on skins. Sadly Fripp retired so we'll never ever know


I think you need to learn how to debate. You're pretty salty man.
__________________
Caution: This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Mesa Boogie Mark V PRS SE Cu24 Voltage S212 Pedals!
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle CMATMods Signa Drive Digitech BadMonkey
Boss TU-3 TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:52 AM   #58
evolucian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I probably do, as I wasn't aware I was having a debate in the first place. A debate would not require the other member to first find something out then come back and continue. A few readers here would be aware of these two guitarists and by seeing a 'vs' placed between the two would probably have understood that there can't be a real comparison. Each one has totally unique aspects, whereas Fripp is one of the grandpappy's of the genre. One would obliterate the other in something, only to have the other one return the favour.

Quote:
(from post 29) its a matter of personal opinion really. Tosin vs Robert Fripp. I think one of them will make the other cry... it depends on you who you think it will be.


You chose Abasi, I said ok. Whatever you decided was your decision to make in the first place. I can't counter your decision because it wasn't mine. For one to learn about other musicians is a big step in one's growth, a step we all have to take. Sooooo.... thanks for playing

Last edited by evolucian : 03-08-2013 at 04:12 AM.
evolucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:49 AM   #59
chronowarp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by donegan_zealot
they actually had to use their ear. they might not have known that the interval was called a perfect fifth but the majority back then probably had a better ear of knowing how many frets two notes were away from each other better than people now.

Dude, I think you're really misinformed or just really bad at guitar. Maybe both.
__________________
Check out my band Socrates and the Lava Gods
chronowarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #60
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
 
MaggaraMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWACS
Well then, in my eyes, and after trying to listen to Epitaph by King Crimson, Tosin Abasi is a better guitarist and musician than Robert Fripp.

"after trying to listen to Epitaph..." You need to learn to argue too. You don't need to bash somebody to make your guitar idol look better (that's how Youtube arguments always go). That's just pathetic and IMO Epitaph is a great song, and it might not show that much of his guitar skills because it's not very guitar-driven music. They used lots of synths and wind instruments in the first album and the guitar parts are pretty simple and contribute to the music as a background instrument. I'm pretty sure both Tosin Abasi and Robert Fripp know what they are doing. Robert Fripp is considered as one of the best guitarists in the world.

Though I'm not sure if you were bashing the song when you said you "tried to listen to it". It just gave me that kind of feeling, sorry if I misunderstood. But this is how I read what you wrote: "I tried to listen to it but it was crap. But I tried hard and listened to the whole song."
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Just rememeber that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:20 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.