Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
moostifur

Something a little different. Give 'er a listen. C4C

After months of mixing and mastering I am finally pretty content with the mix and am releasing the whole EP. So far people have described it as an instrumental The Dear Hunter meets The Mars Volta meets Baroness (not to say we are of the caliber of any of those bands). We recorded this with a Carvin DC727 and a 747 (love those guitars) and tracked DI into Pro Tools 10 using my 11 Rack.

tracks here

If anyone reading would be so kind to give the tracks a listen and tell me what you think, I'd love to hear feedback. If you enjoy the music feel free to download all the tracks for free.

Thanks and shred on.
moostifur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Soldier Poet
Registered and Used

Thanks for listening to my track.

Mineral Man: I understand the Mars Volta comparison (even though I rarely listen to them). I like how it's pretty rough math rock but at the same time really clean. It's pretty dynamic too, not only in loud-soft perspective but also how it changes from sounding major to minor. Your mix is pretty good (maybe you could still have the instruments come out more individually).

Mothersphere: ditto. This one is more dynamic though, which I like. I like the part from 3:50 and on, the drums are really cool there.

I'll listen to the other songs later!

And please check out my tracks as well: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1591294 and, if you have the time: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1591294

Experimental/indie/postrock/triphop music, if you comment on my stuff, I comment on yours!

Last edited by Soldier Poet : 03-06-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Soldier Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
awesomo41894

Thanks for the crit man, I listened to all the songs, by far my favorite is Elastic Modulus. IMO its by far the best composed song of the bunch. There isnt a thing in that song i dont like. The production is great. I LOVE the drum sound. In general it was a really sick song. Does ur band have any live videos? Id love to see something like this played live.
awesomo41894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
moostifur

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo41894
Thanks for the crit man, I listened to all the songs, by far my favorite is Elastic Modulus. IMO its by far the best composed song of the bunch. There isnt a thing in that song i dont like. The production is great. I LOVE the drum sound. In general it was a really sick song. Does ur band have any live videos? Id love to see something like this played live.

Thanks man, I appreciate the listen. No live videos of the whole band but we have a couple guitar clips and a short drums video from the studio on my channel. You might enjoy the metal jams I have on there as well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/moostif...low=grid&view=0
Old 03-07-2013, 02:56 AM   #5
wyldelife

I really liked Mineral Man, liked the massive feel! I dig the riffing, melodies, how massive it sounds. How dynamic the song is throughout, it doesn't get boring. Loving the riffing, this was AWESOME! Elastic was also cool, some pretty awesome drumming and guitar parts in there! You guys are very talented! Cool solo! Keep it up, I thought it was original and cool, it gave me a spacy vibe, something Pink floydish in a wierd way
Line 6 Pocket Pod
wyldelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:23 AM   #6
aaron aardvark

moostifur,
"Mineral Man": Instrumentally everything is pretty tight (including drums). Cymbals are a bit loud at times. Melodies are nice. Nice song & guitar playing! Please review my music at this link:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1591556
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Heliotrope
Cut away

I really like your songs. They have that prog feel and they are really melodic. "Mineral man" flowed perfectly and all the parts stayed together really well. I also liked your guitar sound. It had the perfect amount of distortion for those riffs. All the other songs seemed solid too so nice job man! Check out my stuff at this link: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1590590
Heliotrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
pinguinpanic

Not really in the mood to go all analyze. But I still wanted to write a comment:

It's fresh, new, dynamic, loud, groovy, interesting, spacy, tight and awesome. Production/mixwise there is room for improvement but it's of enough quality to not hinder the music which is the real center-piece of this thing, as all music should be. Altough it's already awesome instrumentally I'd still love to hear a vocalist over it. Any plans to find a vocalist? If you added a vocalist it would make for a really awesome live band too. (P.s. altough I said I wasn't going to analyze I'm listening to it some more as I write and it has come to my attention that the drum could be a bit more puncy. Turn up the volume on the kick and the snare and give them some more precense (Compressor/some more highs with EQs) or filter out a bit of mud from the guitars (No idea what frequency that would be, but I think there's still room for some cuts to make the drums and kick shine a bit more. While you're at it perhaps the guitar could use some more highs to make it a bit more cruncy/crispy. I guess it would be more of mid-highs.) Also the bass could perhaps be a bit less muddy, perhaps if you put a seperate compressor/multiband compressor on the lows only and did a High-pass at perhaps 60ish to give the kick some breathing space from 20-60hz. Then in turn take away some of the 60-100hzish (These numbers are just for reference it could be all different depending on the mix and everything) of the kick and high-pass the guitars at 100Hz to make a little island of "Boominess" for the bassguitar at 60/100hz where everybody else stays out. /streamofconsiousness
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
pinguinpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
moostifur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguinpanic
Not really in the mood to go all analyze. But I still wanted to write a comment:

It's fresh, new, dynamic, loud, groovy, interesting, spacy, tight and awesome. Production/mixwise there is room for improvement but it's of enough quality to not hinder the music which is the real center-piece of this thing, as all music should be. Altough it's already awesome instrumentally I'd still love to hear a vocalist over it. Any plans to find a vocalist? If you added a vocalist it would make for a really awesome live band too. (P.s. altough I said I wasn't going to analyze I'm listening to it some more as I write and it has come to my attention that the drum could be a bit more puncy. Turn up the volume on the kick and the snare and give them some more precense (Compressor/some more highs with EQs) or filter out a bit of mud from the guitars (No idea what frequency that would be, but I think there's still room for some cuts to make the drums and kick shine a bit more. While you're at it perhaps the guitar could use some more highs to make it a bit more cruncy/crispy. I guess it would be more of mid-highs.) Also the bass could perhaps be a bit less muddy, perhaps if you put a seperate compressor/multiband compressor on the lows only and did a High-pass at perhaps 60ish to give the kick some breathing space from 20-60hz. Then in turn take away some of the 60-100hzish (These numbers are just for reference it could be all different depending on the mix and everything) of the kick and high-pass the guitars at 100Hz to make a little island of "Boominess" for the bassguitar at 60/100hz where everybody else stays out. /streamofconsiousness

Haha I like how you preface that big analytical chunk by saying you don't want to analyze. Anyway, I'm glad you took the time to check out the songs and give me some insight for the mix. I tried so many compression settings for every instrument and piece of the drum kit and basically just went with what I thought sounded best at the time. Trying to isolate bass from guitar in the EQing while still having their own identity from the kick and snare was the hardest part. I'm definitely gonna go back eventually and try a few of the things you suggested. Kick volume is pretty damn loud on my monitors but I could definitely have them cut better and have them more punchy like you suggested. Anyways, thanks again for taking the time to tear apart the mix.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:58 AM   #10
pinguinpanic

But just out of curiosity, are there plans for vocals? It does work as instrumental though so no worries.
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Old 03-08-2013, 06:07 AM   #11
moostifur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguinpanic
But just out of curiosity, are there plans for vocals? It does work as instrumental though so no worries.

I am the composer and producer and I want some sort of vocals but I have opposition in the band. I don't know, man. If it was up to me I would have vocals, but that does not seem like the direction that the band is heading in right now. I wish I could sway the band members, but for now it is going in an instrumental direction.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
MentaLrz
Death MentaL

very spacey. i hear a lot of elements. nice one.
MentaLrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #13
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Very nice work. I agree with the Mars Volta/ATDI comparison, seems like a very strong influence. I'd also mention Plankton ,an awesome progressive instrumental band from Sweden with a strong focus of guitar.

Production is letting things down a bit, to be honest. It's pretty good, and god knows this stuff isn't easy to mix, but there's not enough coherence/sense of space. It's also a bit thin in the lower mids and bass frequencies, and the stereo spread is a little too wide, making the centre seem hollow. That sounds like virtual drums, or at least triggering on the snare, but either way the drums are lacking in 'weight'.

Obviously I don't know what kind of budget you're recording with but I think a warmer, more natural sound would have worked wonders (listen to Joe Satriani's 'Luminous Flesh Giants' for a good example kind of sound I mean) - definitely something to consider next time round! And ditch those fake drums if you can :P

Great to hear some stuff like this though; great musicianship, great arrangement, I think you guys will do very well.

EDIT: I noticed your tracks were available in FLAC so I spent a few minutes having a look at Structureless Ether. I didn't make any EQ or dynamic changes, just a little bit of quick M/S processing to bring the stereo image in towards the center. I think it makes it ever-so-slightly more cohesive and masks the weak drums. Give it a try.

http://rightontime.vilayer.me/CWREC...ess%20Ether.mp3

This stuff is really growing on me...you should speak to a few videogame companies about using your music in games, would be a good fit.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound

Last edited by kyle62 : 03-16-2013 at 03:40 PM.
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
moostifur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
Very nice work. I agree with the Mars Volta/ATDI comparison, seems like a very strong influence. I'd also mention Plankton ,an awesome progressive instrumental band from Sweden with a strong focus of guitar.

Production is letting things down a bit, to be honest. It's pretty good, and god knows this stuff isn't easy to mix, but there's not enough coherence/sense of space. It's also a bit thin in the lower mids and bass frequencies, and the stereo spread is a little too wide, making the centre seem hollow. That sounds like virtual drums, or at least triggering on the snare, but either way the drums are lacking in 'weight'.

Obviously I don't know what kind of budget you're recording with but I think a warmer, more natural sound would have worked wonders (listen to Joe Satriani's 'Luminous Flesh Giants' for a good example kind of sound I mean) - definitely something to consider next time round! And ditch those fake drums if you can :P

Great to hear some stuff like this though; great musicianship, great arrangement, I think you guys will do very well.

EDIT: I noticed your tracks were available in FLAC so I spent a few minutes having a look at Structureless Ether. I didn't make any EQ or dynamic changes, just a little bit of quick M/S processing to bring the stereo image in towards the center. I think it makes it ever-so-slightly more cohesive and masks the weak drums. Give it a try.

http://rightontime.vilayer.me/CWREC...ess%20Ether.mp3

This stuff is really growing on me...you should speak to a few videogame companies about using your music in games, would be a good fit.

Hey sorry I'm just responding to your comments; thought this post was buried. Anyway, I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and analyze the mix. We were working on a pretty extreme budget. Besides having a friend record the drums, all the guitars, leveling and mastering were DIY... not to mention it was my first time working with Pro Tools.

To be honest, I'm pretty sick of mixing these tracks, but as soon as we start recording new material I will strongly consider everything you mentioned. As for your efforts of bringing the stereo image closer to the center, I wish I could hear what you did. Unfortunately the link doesn't work anymore.

The drums were actually all live; no samples or triggers, just compression. After being in a death metal band for a while I was pretty sick of the sound of triggers and drum replacement samples.

Thanks again for listening and I'm glad you enjoyed the musicianship, after all that's what I have experience with (not so much the mixing).
Old 03-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #15
Voda La Void

Mineral Man and Elastic Modulus are great songs, really growing on me here on first listen. About the time I'm pissed about the guitar sound it goes into some part that fits it beautifully. Great musicianship, riffing and all that, I just wish they'd let cedric bixler-zavala's voice loose on some of this stuff. I can hear melodies all in that material...

Nicely done. I agree with the above about the drums though, they could use some punch for sure. But hey, sounds great anyway.
Voda La Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:22 AM   #16
moostifur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voda La Void
Mineral Man and Elastic Modulus are great songs, really growing on me here on first listen. About the time I'm pissed about the guitar sound it goes into some part that fits it beautifully. Great musicianship, riffing and all that, I just wish they'd let cedric bixler-zavala's voice loose on some of this stuff. I can hear melodies all in that material...

Nicely done. I agree with the above about the drums though, they could use some punch for sure. But hey, sounds great anyway.

Right on dude. Thanks for the listen and critique. I love that the songs get you on verge of being pissed off and then redeem themselves. That's my favorite compliment so far. I also wish Cedric was let loose on these tracks. Hell, Volta is on an indefinite hiatus, I'm sure he's got the time. haha.

Drums are a hard thing to mix. Well, for me at least; so many variables and individual tracks. Some people say that they sound good and others say they are lacking something. I gotta say that I agree more you and other people saying they are lacking. After putting way too much time into them I am fairly content but not stoked. Believe me, the next EP or LP (whatever it may be) will have some good sounding drums thanks to everyone's crits.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #17
pinguinpanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by moostifur
Right on dude. Thanks for the listen and critique. I love that the songs get you on verge of being pissed off and then redeem themselves. That's my favorite compliment so far. I also wish Cedric was let loose on these tracks. Hell, Volta is on an indefinite hiatus, I'm sure he's got the time. haha.

Drums are a hard thing to mix. Well, for me at least; so many variables and individual tracks. Some people say that they sound good and others say they are lacking something. I gotta say that I agree more you and other people saying they are lacking. After putting way too much time into them I am fairly content but not stoked. Believe me, the next EP or LP (whatever it may be) will have some good sounding drums thanks to everyone's crits.

Yes, send Cedric a message he has freetime. Tell your band UG demands a vocalist. Perhaps if you can get a good vocalist to come try out they'll dig it and let him stay? Best bet would be messaging every singer you dig that you need a vocalist. Most of the good musicians that are still local have lots of freetime for extra bands, so if you can show them demo's of this quality I'm sure most musicians will be either interested or reference you to people they know. Be sure to not value yourself too low, you have some good shit together so you can feel free to message vocalists that you conciderer way out of your league. I've had past experience with some guy referring me to the bass player for a huge dutch deathmetal band because he liked my demos.

Tl;dr: get a good vocalist, if you get a good one I'm pretty sure the band won't complain.
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Old 03-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #18
STONESHAKER
UG Fanatic

Pretty sweet stuff dude, digging the spacy vibe of the debut track. I liked the tapped guitar part, reminded me of Thom Erak's playing a bit (which I heard in a couple other places). The drums sound good to me, but I might not have an ear for drums because everyone complains about the way I mix mine. The sweep arpeggio part was cool as was the outro guitar solo, although I think you could push the lead guitar a bit forward in the mix there.

Overall, very enjoyable, grab yourself a vocalist and finish that beast.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #19
collinmasteller

i'm really liking elastic modulus, reminds me of brendan small's galaktikon but more serious, along with more rock oriented volta stuff
collinmasteller is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: