Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
Ometh
nobody

Ambient/IDM thingy (GP5/GP4/MIDI)

Today I stumbled across a GP file with the rhodes piano riff on it and started messing around with glitchy drums. I managed to make a 6 minutes song so im pretty stoked tbh lol. It's the first electronic song that I ever wrote, and it's imspired by Aphex Twin (he's the only electronic artist I listen to anyway). C4C is applied here, hope you enjoy.
Also, rec me more artists similar to him if you know any; trying to expand my music tastes here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip qwertyuiop.zip (10.9 KB, 287 views)
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
J.Millzzzz

dude. thats fantastic
J.Millzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
Ometh
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Millzzzz
dude. thats fantastic

Seriously? Awesome
Could you expand on it tho? I need to know what to work on lol.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Dude.

This Is ****ing Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
ReubenAndrews
&#30

Really interested in listening to this when I find my earphones.

Artists like him? I'd suggest people like Squarepusher, Plaid, Autechre, Boards of Canada, Clark.

I'd recommend looking at the Warp music label if you're into this kinda stuff.
ReubenAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
Ometh
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReubenAndrews
Really interested in listening to this when I find my earphones.

Artists like him? I'd suggest people like Squarepusher, Plaid, Autechre, Boards of Canada, Clark.

I'd recommend looking at the Warp music label if you're into this kinda stuff.

Awesome, thank you.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
Ometh
nobody

Bumping this because the lack of crits makes me kinda sad, and because I'm working on a new piece. This is so fun lol.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
xbitmetal

Well, nice atmosphere and this shit is beautiful. Drums are intresting and fit well. Progression is quite slow and all layers are repeating itself, but overall I got to say that this is enjoyable and beautiful song. break around 140 was cool, and outro after this was made well. Bass first out was good idea. Good job!
xbitmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike

I have to say that I was mesmerized by the effect achieved by the rhodes layers, that was ****ing beautiful man, adds so much to the melody and complexity of the song.

The song repeats too much in my opinion(the again who am I to say that, right?), although since you said yourself that this is an ambient piece I guess it doesnt really matter.

The glitchy drums were a weird addition at first although they seemed to grow on me and fitted into the song itself nicely, they also seemed like a real bitch to write.

That break on 140 and onwards is phenomenal, the panning adds so much.

Overall a fantastic piece, really loved it.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:34 AM   #10
Dregen
andy, you're a star

i don't think the song is repetitive at all. i can see how it could feel drawn out in the beginning, but i think it's a nice way to get the main melodic themes ingrained before shit gets crazy with the drums. which by the way, are really really good. i could never write anything like this ever. your usage of shifting time signatures and polymetrics overall is great, creates a really chopped up feeling while still flowing extremely well.

at the beginning the rhodes creates a pretty little theme. and when the strings start it slowly builds everything until the drums kick in. like the ghost notes a lot at bar 57 (and on). and at bar 58 i also like how you end the phrase with the triplet eighths. contributes to the chopped up start/stop atmosphere. next part at bar 61 is pretty fucked up in the best way possible, it almost doesn't make sense but it does lol. and at bar 64, the last bit where you use the 64th and 64th triplets (which i had no idea could actually be used haha) it seems like the drums go up in pitch which is also cool. bar 69... don't even know how you did that lol, very great usage of polymetrics. i think it's weird how you made a 4/4 count fit evenly into a 5/4 bar. the tempo is still kept but it sounds slowed down. combined with the high notes on the rhodes it creates a lot of tension for me. kind of feels like a sort of breakdown almost haha. then the abrupt speed up at bar 77 throws you on the rollercoaster again which i thought was nice. at 85 i like the melodic variation with the clavinet that continues into 97 when it breaks down again.

as a side note, i also enjoy how the rhythm is always building and releasing throughout while the melody just keeps building and building.

anyway, at 105 the clavinet is still continuing and now providing additional polymetric mindfuckery. the 5/16 phrases on the clavinet kind of sound like triplets to me at this part, weird. the clavinet changes at 115, building up the song again melody-wise, which continues through the rhythmic themes that repeat again. at bar 141 with the panning i was like 'huh, this is pretty cool'. then when the last half of 144 played where it glitches the fuck out, i grinned so damn hard lol, really awesome. i liked how you ended it with the gradual build down, was quick but worked great.

this was amazingly complex with a simple structure. glitchy and chopped up, that start/stop feel, melodic, really interesting rhymically. love it.

Last edited by Dregen : 03-10-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Dregen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
CheesyMozarella
Slacker

Now, on to this song. And boy, do I like this one better!

The intro (1-4) is nice.

There's loads of stuff going on. I like the use of different channels, it keeps things interesting. There's loads of variations, and I don't think this one repetitive at all even though you only got ~3 themes, the variations are enough.

All in all, it's great although it gets a bit same-y towards the end (outro?).

Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/laserost
CheesyMozarella is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: