Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-08-2013, 03:49 AM   #1
mattmakaha

improvised walking bass/chords--Matt Makaha

Last edited by mattmakaha : 03-08-2013 at 03:51 AM.
mattmakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:58 AM   #2
mattmakaha

Well, because I can play guitar like in the video above, Jake Shimabukuro (yes that Jake Shimabukuro--the most famous ukulele player in the world) asked me to record on a couple of songs that were never released commercially but that I have, and I have the link to one of the songs below.
So on this recording, which Jake arranged, he asked me to play like how I do in the video in post #1, which means I played walking bass/chords and we traded solos, so here's the breakdown:
Jake's first solo-- from 0:53- 1:43
my first solo--from 1:43- 2:33
Jake's second solo--from 2:33- 3:23
my second solo--from 3:23- 4:12
Since this is jazz, it's all improvised and in fact, first takes....

Here's the link on Broadjam.com:
http://www.broadjam.com/player/play...ile=5366_604209

Just a few cool facts about Jake (who a few years ago was on Jay Leno (or was it Conan Obrien), and toured with Jimmy Buffett's band and joined Bela Fleck's tour for a few shows, and jammed with Steve Vai). I knew him way before he became famous when we worked at House of Music when it was at Ala Moana shopping center, even before he joined Pure Heart with Lopaka Colon and Jon Yamasato. But the dude has a big heart. Years ago, when he got a really nice studio to teach ukulele in the Hawaii Kai neighborhood, he let me teach in his awesome facility, and he wasn't going to charge me!! At all!! Of course, I refused the offer and told him "Jake dude, I can't do that to you, you're letting me teach guitar out of your studio, for free?? Come on, I've gotta give you at least a small cut of what I make" but it just goes to show you the kind of person he is. If anyone deserved success, it was him...

Last edited by mattmakaha : 04-12-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:07 AM   #3
aaron aardvark

matt,
Thank you for the reviews! Now your tunes: top video: nice walking bass/guitar song. Naked Asian: I think I have seen this before, perhaps commented on it before; technically, the playing was impressive, though I liked the melodic parts by far the best (nice). OK, now for "Summertime": this song is a bit mellow for my taste, though it is really well done. Very nice playing, sounds professional!
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
weorge
I'm Difficult To Explain.

hullo, thanks for the crit. Sorry it's taken a few days for me to get back to you!

But: Top vid - nice effort, especially as improvised. It's very relaxing. My only problem is with the recording itself, you get a lot of squeek sliding up and down the fretboard so if you came to record something like this properly that would be something to look out for!

Bottom vid - good playing, you've reminded why I need to learn to fret tap properly.You seem to have the technique down. I do think that you may have overused it though, some of the phrasing could be better if you weren't going fast for quite so much of it.

Overall some well played guitar here!
weorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
mattmakaha

Thanks Aaron and Weorge, although what's funny (and totally understandable on your guys part) is that in this particular OP, the text in post #1 happens to be so sparse that it looks like my video in my signature is part of the post, so you guys gave me a free critique of my video in my signature, in addition to the first video, LOL!!
Double thanks!!

Rate This Thread: