Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-08-2013, 03:59 AM   #1
rigulis

Question first time guitar building

Alright guys so I'm going to build a guitar using a guitar kit

But im planning on filling the neck pickup cavity as well as two of the holes so that it only has the volume knob and putting an emg 81 in, as well as using a different neck that has 24 frets instead of the one it comes with any information tips or thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Attached Images

rigulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:53 AM   #2
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

1. Careful when positioning the new neck.
2. Have fun.
3. Post pictures.

Paddy von Layzonfon! Founder of The Spell it RELICKED Club
von Layzonfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:15 AM   #3
rigulis

so i thought of another question the neck im buying is a left handed neck cause i want it to be reverse and thought it would look cool with the reverse shark tooth inlays but are there any foreseeable problems with attaching it to the right handed guitar
Old 03-09-2013, 02:52 AM   #4
Phoenix V
Registered MUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigulis
so i thought of another question the neck im buying is a left handed neck cause i want it to be reverse and thought it would look cool with the reverse shark tooth inlays but are there any foreseeable problems with attaching it to the right handed guitar

I can't really see the photo very well. But is the nut already on the neck?

If so, it probably has the low E slot already cut for a lefty? If you put lefty neck on a right handed guitar, the low E cut slot will be where the high E would normally be for a RH player.

Basically all the string slots will be reversed. The high E will be really sloppy in the low E slot and the low E wont even fit into the high E slot.

You might be able to knock it out and turn it around, but then if it has a slope that angles back to the headstock, then spinning it 180 will have the angle towards the fretboard, which is not what you want.

If the nut slots are not yet cut, or the nut doesn't already come as part of the neck then diregard what I just said.

My gear is in my Profile

Hondo 780 Deluxe Refurb

Gibson Studio Build

Last edited by Phoenix V : 03-09-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Phoenix V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:48 AM   #5
rigulis

i see what your saying dude and yes the nut comes on the neck already but i have purchased a new neck that is left handed and i dont have a picture but it does not have the nut already installed

i was planning to install a graphite nut because i saw on the internet that the were descent for the price

im also debating wether top by a truss rod cover just to give it a little cleaner look but im not sure
Old 03-12-2013, 01:36 AM   #6
rigulis

ok i have a few more questions for you expert's as well as anyone willing to answer...

1. to fill in the neck pickup cavity i plan on cutting a block of wood the same shape and and using locktite instant mix epoxy to get it to hold because it says it's sandable and non-shrinking is this the correct rout?

2. I bought some of that krylon fusion and it says not to sand between coats but i think they might be wrong any one used it before?

3. i also got the krylon crystal clear gloss clear coat how many coats would be best and sand between and how long between each coat?

4.and finally whats the best way to get that factory finish shine without buying a buffing drill bit?...i don't mind spending a long time rubbing the gh guitar polish i have on hand if that's what it takes
Old 03-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
Ethanb08
No one in particular

1. For the bulk of it, using a chunk of a similar wood would probably be the best option, but depending on how well it is cut to fit you may need to use a wood filler of some sort.
2. I haven't used it but I imagine you could sand between coats if you wanted to although it is not required.
4. you would need to get some buffing compound, and a micro fiber cloth, at least... with some elbow grease and very slowly hand buff it. the guitar polish is more of a cleaner i assume and probably wont do much for making it shine...
MXR phase 90, Carbon Copy
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)
ETB Infinity
ETB Wolfgang
Ethanb08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #8
rigulis

alright guys so my kit came in the mail and i finished putting the dowels in and sanding and looking at the neck pickup rout up close and in person i decided to just put the pickup that came with it in for looks sake but next step is paint

btw i have pictures my phone's picture's are apperntly to big to be uploaded however
Old 03-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #9
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigulis
btw i have pictures my phone's picture's are apperntly to big to be uploaded however
Well resize them, goddammit! Or put them on a hosting service. GB&C needs pictures!

Old 03-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
rigulis

alright guys got some pics just waiting for the pain to dry and ill take off the tape and upload more

http://s1306.beta.photobucket.com/u...gulis/library/?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
rigulis

yay! painting is finaly done and for it being my first time i think i did pretty well

Picture's
http://s1306.beta.photobucket.com/user/rigulis/library/
Old 03-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #12
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

That's pretty cool.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
ohaple

Nice work. I think it looks quite good.
ohaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #14
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

Looks pretty slick!

Do you mind if I steal that paint schem??

I'm weak for red guitars

Where did you buy the kit? I've been thinkning of doing something similar.

Do you guys come through SK much??
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Vox AC30CCH
Mesa Boogie 212
Randall 212+115
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #15
rigulis

take it dude it didnt turn out as nice as i want but im gonna put all the hardware on in a couple days to see how it sounds on friday when i get my emg 81/60

and just google bargain musician and youll find it
Old 04-20-2013, 03:44 AM   #16
AvengedReno
UG's only Cypriot user

great job, loving the colours but what did you use to paint the black outline? I'm asking because I was going to paint my guitar the same scheme
AvengedReno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #17
AvengedReno
UG's only Cypriot user

What shade of red is that?
AvengedReno is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: