Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
mattmakaha

coolest riffs #2--Rock--Same Old Story

Hereís one of my newer rock songs. Possibly my best drum programming, especially the fills like at the 1:04 mark. I use a drum machine, not software, and program note by note, and I adjust each hit on the ride cymbal so that itís slightly closer to the bell or the rim, and slightly time displace each hit so that it sounds like a human played it, same with the snare, etc. Itís extremely tedious, it took around 35 hours to program the drums for the song. So just one single fill (like check out the fill at 1:04) takes a long, long, long time to program note by note.

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjT1Lc_w5Lg

Btw, I use an ebow at the very end of the song, thatís how I got that sound...
mattmakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
STONESHAKER
UG Fanatic

LOL@ELBOW

Anyways. Diggin' the tasteful use of the octave pedal in the guitar riff, or at least I think it's an octave pedal with one octave lower... could be the bass following it, but I think I hear an octave pedal. If you aren't playing it with one, try that out and tell me how it sounds lol.

The vocals are good, the guitar is good, my only real gripe is the mix. It's not that it's mixed poorly either, it just seems that everything is very centered in the mix. I would double track the guitar riff and spread those out a little bit and let the drums and bass sit in the center, then double track the vocals and let those sit in between the guitar and the middle. so..

Left guitar -> left vocal -> bass () drums <- right vocal <- Right guitar

Just to give it a more full sound. You could experiment with recording some guitar overdubs to comp the riff too. Overall the ideas you have I like, I just think there's something missing or it needs to be mixed a little different.

EDIT: PS: 35 hours to do the drums!? Dude you've got to be kidding me. Do yourself a favor and do this; get a tab editor software like Guitar Pro, use it to compose your drum beats, then export the midi file from Guitar Pro directly into a drum sampler like Superior Drummer 2. That is exactly how I programmed the drums for my song Inertia which you said you liked. Down the road you can get a midi controller and use that to program the drums using the drum sampler software in combination with something like Logic, which is how I do drums now.

Last edited by STONESHAKER : 04-03-2013 at 09:41 PM.
STONESHAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
Voda La Void

Obviously very good playing and the sound is ok. I agree with Stoneshaker about the mix being heavily centered and just not real dynamic.

And congrats on the attention to drums. 35 hours is a little long, to me, but I can relate because I do the same thing with my drum tracks. Although I approach it a bit different and I use a sequencer (Cakewalk), but it's the same note by note editing you're talking about.

Not sure about your drum machine, but I have found that it is easier to remove and move notes than it is to place notes. Using that technique I can basically paste in a drum fill "template" and then just remove and move notes around to make it unique for that moment in the track. Also, are you thinking about how a drummer hits and what notes are usually louder than others? I've heard people just mix up the volume or intensity on random hits only to sound completely unnatural since people don't play like that.

Anyway, good stuff. If you care to hear mine check it out... http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1594397
Voda La Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
mattmakaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONESHAKER
LOL@ELBOW

Anyways. Diggin' the tasteful use of the octave pedal in the guitar riff, or at least I think it's an octave pedal with one octave lower... could be the bass following it, but I think I hear an octave pedal. If you aren't playing it with one, try that out and tell me how it sounds lol.

The vocals are good, the guitar is good, my only real gripe is the mix. It's not that it's mixed poorly either, it just seems that everything is very centered in the mix. I would double track the guitar riff and spread those out a little bit and let the drums and bass sit in the center, then double track the vocals and let those sit in between the guitar and the middle. so..

Left guitar -> left vocal -> bass () drums <- right vocal <- Right guitar

Just to give it a more full sound. You could experiment with recording some guitar overdubs to comp the riff too. Overall the ideas you have I like, I just think there's something missing or it needs to be mixed a little different.

Elbow??
Did I mispell Ebow??
LOL!

Regarding your comment, that isn't an octave pedal, it's a bass (I use a Fender 5 string jazz bass). The bass part I'm playing isn't the same as the guitar riff. The bass is playing a repeating pattern for most of the riff, it's playing the root, 5th, and octave, which repeats until towards the ending of the guitar riff. While the bass is repeating that root, 5th, and octave, the guitar starts the riff playing instead of what the bass is playing it's playing root, 5th, 9th, then root, 5th, major third up an octave, then root, 5th, perfect fourth up an octave (or call it an 11th). It gives the whole riff a kinda pedal tone effect.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Metal Turtle

wow man you have a great voice, its a bit "vocal" dominant if you know what i mean. The song would feel much better if the guitar and drums were either turns up or the vocals turned down so it feels like a complete "band"

Also i like the small solo at 2:38 it sort of sets the tone of the song as this "whatever you feel you play it" type vibe, i really liked this overall track man!
Metal Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
mattmakaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voda La Void
And congrats on the attention to drums. 35 hours is a little long, to me, but I can relate because I do the same thing with my drum tracks. Although I approach it a bit different and I use a sequencer (Cakewalk), but it's the same note by note editing you're talking about.

Not sure about your drum machine, but I have found that it is easier to remove and move notes than it is to place notes. Using that technique I can basically paste in a drum fill "template" and then just remove and move notes around to make it unique for that moment in the track. Also, are you thinking about how a drummer hits and what notes are usually louder than others? I've heard people just mix up the volume or intensity on random hits only to sound completely unnatural since people don't play like that.

I never tried Cakewalk, but I know there must be a better way than to spend 35 hours on it, LOL! Yeah, I do think of how to make it natural sounding, my programming is fairly good on this song too, which I do what you say about nuance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12NElhSTTeM

Last edited by mattmakaha : 04-12-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:07 AM   #7
mattmakaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Turtle
wow man you have a great voice, its a bit "vocal" dominant if you know what i mean. The song would feel much better if the guitar and drums were either turns up or the vocals turned down so it feels like a complete "band"

Also i like the small solo at 2:38 it sort of sets the tone of the song as this "whatever you feel you play it" type vibe, i really liked this overall track man!

That was Neil Patrick singing on that song, not me.
I think you may be right, the vocals might be a little too hot in the mix.

Rate This Thread: