Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #21
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

Building on what Hotspur and Hail said, WTF? Why is your chord progression always the be-all and end-all of originality when this topic comes up?

"I can't be original if I use a IV! Everybody uses a IV! I can't use the major scale, everybody uses the major scale!".

Seriously, WTF? That's like me telling my fellow engineers that they're talentless hacks because they're using inheritance in their OOP.

I'd say it's definitely ignorance over originality, if you think your chord progression defines your song so rigidly that every song ever written with that progression is essentially the same song.

Last edited by CarsonStevens : 03-09-2013 at 03:17 PM.
CarsonStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #22
Hail
kill both bass players

do you guys remember when me and HSJ disagreed on everything lol
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #23
DaleZ93
Executive Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraguitar
Well nothing is original anymore, there's only 12 notes...

but i wouldn't call it ignorance either. Just because 23,591,685 songs have the same chords in it doesn't make it ignorant, expected sure, boring maybe....but not ignorant. The way I look at it is just do what you do and do it the best you can. Good players/groups are recognized to be good based on how they do whatever it is they are gonna do. And yeah there might be "ideas" in our heads of something cool and amazing, and dare I say unexpected...but chances are it's not as different as we think, which is fine there's nothing wrong with that. If you're going to play I IV V's all day long then great, people take notice if there are more aspects about it that are good. That doesn't mean musical ability takes a backseat, but it also doesnt have to be the only good aspect....

I don't know, tough topic, it varies all the time too.

You're right, everyone is bound to run into the same progression at some point. It's how we implement our musical ideas that make us different. Atleaat thats what I took for that Thanks.
Originally Posted by vampirelazarus
To quote some influential person in my life: MODES AND SCALES ARE DUMB AND USELESS.

Although, they make great exercise tools. For warming up.
That's going to end up quoted in someone's sig.
DaleZ93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: