Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #1
jumped_up_kid

this forum is bullshit

a couple of yeas ago, this was a place where anyone could post any ideas that they had and be fairly sure of a decent level of relevant and constructive criticism. nowadays, it's clique-y, self-congratulatory mutual masturbation for not more than twenty or twenty-five members. good luck to anyone new trying to get even modicum of notice on here. no wonder the membership has fallen through the floor.

what the **** happened? this used to be a really genuinely helpful place to come.
jumped_up_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
BL1NDSIDE-J
Fvck the scene

You don't need any type of help from these douchebags you are totally right about this forum.
BL1NDSIDE-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
Eissac123
I Am Meee.... not an IT..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumped_up_kid
a couple of yeas ago, this was a place where anyone could post any ideas that they had and be fairly sure of a decent level of relevant and constructive criticism. nowadays, it's clique-y, self-congratulatory mutual masturbation for not more than twenty or twenty-five members. good luck to anyone new trying to get even modicum of notice on here. no wonder the membership has fallen through the floor.

what the **** happened? this used to be a really genuinely helpful place to come.

well i only joined this year and i find it helpful
sometimes
Eissac123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #4
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

Well, it's not how it used to be for sure. Depends who's online when you post I guess.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #5
BL1NDSIDE-J
Fvck the scene

So do any of you know of any good songwriting forums?
BL1NDSIDE-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:17 AM   #6
#1 synth
Weeow!

chicken and egg.

i dunno, go to reddit or something? maybe find a poetry community in your locality?

i completely agree with your sentiments. but i've spent so many hours trying to do something about it and i've all but given up. plus all those people that use to have so much passion for this have all grown up and can't give themselves to the forum in the same way. grad school just doesnt allow the same level of comittment as high school. dunno, i feel you man, but what do you want us to do about it?
#1 synth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:27 AM   #7
shelovemyguitar
The "s" ^ didn't fit...

Totally agree.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
shelovemyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:47 AM   #8
Tracii Lee

I used to lurk here for a good three years before I became a member. Before I was a member, you could ask a question, get a direct answer(s) and then someone would suggest something else or make a comment. Now, if you explain your situation and ask for help, you hardly ever get any form of a direct answer and instead just get a bunch of people telling you you're doing everything wrong without even offering a real solution. If I asked "Hey, is it possible to get a BC Rich Gunslinger with 24 frets instead of 22?" the answers I get would look something like; "Those guitars suck", "What kind of amp are you using?", "Why would you want a guitar like that? Shecter is way more geared towards brutul metal" (Which isn't what I play) and then someone would suggest I buy a new amp and that I'm a terrible person for wanting that guitar. I also notice that a lot of people on here have the mentality that if something is even a little on the affordable side, then it's obviously just an over hyped piece of junk. That's just one example. Everything on here seems to be like that now. Their are people who still try to help out of course but it's getting more and more rare. It's usually just people who bash each other constantly or do everything they can to change the subject.

That's just my view point though, and is both subjective and irrelevant
Tracii Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:28 AM   #9
SGstriker
Someone will die...

I clicked on this expecting to disagree.

But I actually whole-heartedly agree. The Pit is the only place where snide smart-assery remarks should be allowed.

This place should be a sanctuary where you can share your ideas, get feedback (constructive), and maybe get some inspiration?
SGstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
Eccer
Serial Lurker

In my opinion, ug has always been like this though (in some form). I guess it's just age hitting some; I started writing here half a year ago. So Iím not the one to make judges, but I think remember a time when I saw a lot of constructive criticism, where feedback was more important than anything. And the activity was doubled.

Too put my past perspective on this. I was not particularly mature to write anything serious before (thanks pit!) and perhaps a little bit shy. Put simply, I was afraid of the many bastards lurking around and giving smartass snappy comments.

But time has changed and I have finally found some peace of mind, to let my thoughts out on paper (as I simply don't give a **** anymore). SoÖ.. I will consider this even more from now on. And try to help as many as I can. Even if I am an amateur, hopefully Iíll learn how to be a little bit more constructive (cuz thatís been my plan all along)

Last edited by Eccer : 03-09-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Eccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

Forums across the Internet have faced a decline. UG as a whole receives perceivably less traffic (at least on the forums) than it used to it in, say, 2008. With the increase in popularity of places like reddit and Facebook, traditional forums are suffering.

But the ironic thing is, S&L has been affected not just because we have fewer users participating, but we have less regulars critiquing. They've all but moved on to bigger things, or just quit writing. The irony there is that they were the clique you are criticising. They were the ones that encouraged new writers and fresh faces to hone their craft on a constructive website like UG. But since many of them have disappeared, fewer new ones have been able to replace them.

In actuality, I personally feel the regulars have branched out more, in the hope revitalizing the forum and introducing a broader palette of talent. We intend to bring it back, but we had the Newbies Do Have Souls sticky. It helped pay recognition to new talent and to help others notice them and offer their critiques and thoughts. This will return and hopefully be more sustainable.

The Writing of the Week, especially in the last month, has recognized new talent and awarded them with the WotW. However, we have always tried to make sure WotW is kept just that: Writing of the Week. We didn't want to choose someone new just for the sake of it when an old regular was clearly, according to our small team, the better writer that week. That is why we introduced Newbies Do Have Souls. It meant that those who were selected second out of others could still be honoured.

So although I see what you're saying, it's not fair of you to judge the 'cliques' when it's been them all along that have taught and mentored the youths that come on here hoping to better their skills and express themselves more fully. For myself, I wouldn't be the writer I am today if I had not started out as a newbie and had folks like Carmel, #1 synth, jiminizzle, culex-knight, etc. all propose changes I should consider making with my writing. I never would have become a mod or become a published writer if I had never learned from the 'cliques' you are so quick to condemn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracii Lee
I used to lurk here for a good three years before I became a member. Before I was a member, you could ask a question, get a direct answer(s) and then someone would suggest something else or make a comment. Now, if you explain your situation and ask for help, you hardly ever get any form of a direct answer and instead just get a bunch of people telling you you're doing everything wrong without even offering a real solution. If I asked "Hey, is it possible to get a BC Rich Gunslinger with 24 frets instead of 22?" the answers I get would look something like; "Those guitars suck", "What kind of amp are you using?", "Why would you want a guitar like that? Shecter is way more geared towards brutul metal" (Which isn't what I play) and then someone would suggest I buy a new amp and that I'm a terrible person for wanting that guitar. I also notice that a lot of people on here have the mentality that if something is even a little on the affordable side, then it's obviously just an over hyped piece of junk. That's just one example. Everything on here seems to be like that now. Their are people who still try to help out of course but it's getting more and more rare. It's usually just people who bash each other constantly or do everything they can to change the subject.

That's just my view point though, and is both subjective and irrelevant
I think you're in the wrong forum.
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
Eccer
Serial Lurker

One other thing as AngryGoldfish said, I am forever grateful for the old peeps helping me to what I've accomplished in such a short time being here. I have witnessed an increased WotW awards to newbieís such as myself. So ...Staff, what you are doing has been successful so far. Keep recognizing new talent because, thatís what makes this forum alive.

How about you start publishing this forum to a wider area? Such as face book groups and etc? Or just create a new domain entirely too S+L? Heck, with the talent being made here, people would be awestruck if where to be opened up for the world to see. (But I guess you donít want that?)
Eccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #13
lncognito
Encephalectomized

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumped_up_kid
a couple of yeas ago,
this was a place where anyone could post
any ideas that they had
and be fairly sure
of a decent level of relevant and constructive criticism.

Nowadays,
it's clique-y, self-congratulatory,
mutual masturbation
for not more than twenty or twenty-five members.

Good luck to anyone new trying to get
even modicum of notice on here.

no wonder the membership has fallen through the floor.

It was hard to follow, I really had to struggle through it. When I hit those last 3 lines though I was instantly glad I read all the way through. There's a lot of power in those last few lines and they really pull the whole piece together.

Good work, nice piece 7/10.
lncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #14
Tracii Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish
I think you're in the wrong forum.

I think you're right, haha. Sorry about that, I must not have been paying much attention to what forum this was in when I clicked on it
Tracii Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:35 AM   #15
culex-knight
mon titre d'utilisateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lncognito
It was hard to follow, I really had to struggle through it. When I hit those last 3 lines though I was instantly glad I read all the way through. There's a lot of power in those last few lines and they really pull the whole piece together.

Good work, nice piece 7/10.

Hahahaha. 10/10 critique.

On topic: a very simple answer is to form your own clique. The one that had sustained this forum for so long simply does not exist in the form and fashion you desire, at the moment, and probably never will again unless newer members like yourself give birth to one.

Adding on to what AG, #1 synth, and others have said, I many other things require attention of the old guard, so it really is up to new blood to keep this place going. I know it feels like I'm the only one who reports threads when I log in and see the front page plastered with shit that doesn't belong here. It really just makes me skip reading anything. The mods can't possibly check everything every hour of the day, so do your part and report threads. Then drive the discussion you want to see. Make suggestions. Do something. We've all but exhausted our options on our end.
じーんせいはっわんつー!ぱんち・・・

"Success is as dangerous as failure. Hope is as hollow as fear." - from Tao Te Ching
culex-knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Dear TS,

I hope you noticed that your pieces get more comments the more you comment on other people's pieces. I did a search of all your posts. It looks like you only post in your own threads.

Start being part of the solution and quit being an attention whoring dickbag.

-Jake.

BUCKY

Last edited by JustRooster : 03-10-2013 at 12:44 PM.
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote