Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-09-2013, 02:50 AM   #1
Rocknrolla35

Can you give me some tips on training fingers to stay close to fretboard?

Hey all, i wanna ask for some advice on increasing soloing speed,and keeping fingers close to fretboard. I've been playing for quite a some time,and have picked up a decent amount of theory,but i still cannot play FAST solos,and that is frustrating me.

I already know that to increase speed,one should start out REALLY slow with a metronome,keep fingers close to the freatboard,and incerease metronome speed(by a few bpm) only then,when playing at the speed one wants to go from, can play it smooth and clean. The thing is,i feel like not making any progress at all.

My fingers need some muscle memory reprogramming!! I've already been doing an exercise to keep fingers close,by playing slow chromatic runs(ya know,like 1234) on each string,and i even kinda CAN pull it off when i'm playing REEEEEEEEAAAALLLYYYY SLOW. But when i try to go a little faster - my fingers move the old,way-too-far-from-the-fretboard-way. When i try to play a pentatonic solo - most of the times my fingers move too far away.

Can anyone give me some good tips for reprogramming my fingers?
And,oh yeah,i'd also like to know, how much time, by average,is it gonna take to reprogram my fingers for the rest of my guitar-plying life?
You know,so that i could have an adequate,realistic view of how long is it really gonna take?

Thanks in advance.
Rocknrolla35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
Rocknrolla35

Hellll-llooo-ooo!?
Is Anybody ****ing Here!?
Rocknrolla35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Hail
kill both bass players

nope
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
satchfan9

It's a matter of practice. Have a love affair with your metronome. When you're playing 16th notes at +150bpm(just saying a number), your fingers will stay relatively close, because the muscle memory and your mind knows how fast you gotta get there, so it stays closer & ready. I'd say:
1. Build an organized practice regimen, and chart your progress.

I had a sync problem and once I used a strict regimen I can say I broke that wall down. So: Practice, Metronome & optionally some Petrucci exercises.
satchfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:08 AM   #5
British_Steal
UG Member

Location: Up here in space Im looking down on you My lasers trace Everything you do
Practice just pressing all the fingers down on one string and then relaxing them one at a time. Just make an effort to not play with any excess tension in your hand once you release a note.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
British_Steal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknrolla35
Hey all, i wanna ask for some advice on increasing soloing speed,and keeping fingers close to fretboard. I've been playing for quite a some time,and have picked up a decent amount of theory,but i still cannot play FAST solos,and that is frustrating me.

I already know that to increase speed,one should start out REALLY slow with a metronome,keep fingers close to the freatboard,and incerease metronome speed(by a few bpm) only then,when playing at the speed one wants to go from, can play it smooth and clean. The thing is,i feel like not making any progress at all.

My fingers need some muscle memory reprogramming!! I've already been doing an exercise to keep fingers close,by playing slow chromatic runs(ya know,like 1234) on each string,and i even kinda CAN pull it off when i'm playing REEEEEEEEAAAALLLYYYY SLOW. But when i try to go a little faster - my fingers move the old,way-too-far-from-the-fretboard-way. When i try to play a pentatonic solo - most of the times my fingers move too far away.

Can anyone give me some good tips for reprogramming my fingers?
And,oh yeah,i'd also like to know, how much time, by average,is it gonna take to reprogram my fingers for the rest of my guitar-plying life?
You know,so that i could have an adequate,realistic view of how long is it really gonna take?

Thanks in advance.

Define "a little faster". Increase the bpm with 3 at the time. And if you don't play it 100% clean and accurately, play it again until you can play it clean and accurately. Remember that your maximum speed is something and going over that is really hard (it might feel easy to play in 100bpm, but 110bpm might feel impossible). You just need to practice at slow tempos. You need to focus on your hand and not just hope for it happening automatically. Try to keep the fingers relaxed. Also playing a solo is different than playing a finger exercise. Of course if you can play a finger exercise fast, it's easier to play fast solos. But it doesn't necessarily mean that you can play fast solos if you can play the exercise. Remember that speed comes over time, I wouldn't really care about it that much, even if there was some very young guitarist that played much better than you.

I think your problem is finger independence. When you move your first finger, your other fingers move at the same time. Try the same exercise with your first and second finger only (playing 1-2 frets on every string). Then try it with your first and third (1-3 frets), first and fourth (1-4 frets), second and third (2-3 frets), second and fourth (2-4 frets) and third and fourth fingers (3-4 frets). And try not to move any other fingers and keep your hand relaxed. If they move, play it again, though at first you might not be able to play it without your fingers moving but at least you can reduce the finger movement. And play the same exercise every day. At least my fingers are much more independent than they used to be. Also focus on your picking hand if you want to play accurately. I have noticed that sometimes it really helps when I focus on my picking hand. Some parts seem really hard at first but when I focus on my picking hand, they are a lot easier to play (of course you first need to memorize the part so that you don't need to look at your fretting hand). You won't notice changes instantly. It will take time. But I have noticed that my speed and accuracy have increased after I started taking lessons about six months ago and we talked about these things.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 03-11-2013 at 09:13 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
SimonJames

Try the spider/crawl, it'll certainly keep your fingers close to the fretboard

Last edited by SimonJames : 03-11-2013 at 02:03 PM.
SimonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!

Depending on how far your fingers are lifting and in what way they do so, it's possible that you have to restructure a lot more of the methods in your left hand than you think. If you PM me I can take a look at what you're doing over skype (assuming you have a camera) and give you an answer.
Vlasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Do this -

The relaxing is AS IMPORTANT as the fretting.

Aside from that, you should notice improvement starting soon... and then you can just keep improving forever. There's no point when you're "done" being efficient with the left hand.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Just relax your hands and when you move a finger don't move the other fingers (unless you need to) use relax them on the string that they are on so that they mute it but don't move in until you need to move that finger to fret a note.
Shouldn't this be in Guitar Techniques?

Rate This Thread: