Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
guitarmaniac88
Procrastinate & Dominate!

Bass Amp Problems

So for Christmas I got a Peavey Max 112 bass amp. Because I really only play at home, it suits my needs just fine as my first bass amp. My friend has been tasked with putting together a commercial for New Orleans that will be shown at least statewide; they gave him the video clips and some music and he just has to put it all together. The problem was that he said the music sucks, and wants me to write and record some new music for it. I need to have this done by Wednesday, but my equipment seems to be breaking down upon setup.

My Pod XT stopped working, I got an "Invalid Code Error 5" or something, and now it will only show me a blank screen. My bass amp, however, won't make any sound. All I get out of it is a low hum, no matter what I set the gain to or anything, there is absolutely NO response, even pulling out input cables makes no interference whatsoever.

I have no idea what's wrong with it, and it's probably still under warranty, but I need it fixed by Wednesday and I'm hoping you guys could help me solve this problem.
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
guitarmaniac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
moody git
I bad writing

contact the company straight away. are there any local dealerships that might be able to mend it under warranty?
forgive me if i'm missing something, but can you not just plug your bass into the pod and go through that into the computer?
Old 03-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

So you mean the bass amp AND POD are not working? Or the POD is not working through the bass amp? I presume if you're going to be recording you have some recording gear? I would plug your bass straight into your mixer or audio interface and get hold of some modelling software like Guitar Rig.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
guitarmaniac88

Both the POD and the amp broke down separately, neither work now, the POD gives a blank screen, the amp has a low hum. The POD is my interface, and out of nowhere my computer said something like "USB device has malfunctioned etc...." and I saw the error code, it worked was I turned it off and reset it, but then it just quit.

The POD is older, so I don't know if it's warranty still holds up, but I should be able to get the amp under warranty, but we don't have any local dealers. Any ideas of where I could get it sent?
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote:
Old 03-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

That's ridiculous. I doubt you could get it fixed and back to you by Wednesday to be honest. I think your only option is to get a new audio interface, or try and see if someone you know has any gear you could use to record with. **** it man, if you send me some music and a backing track, I can record the bass part for you if you're getting desperate.

I think your best bet as regards the warranty of the amp is to get onto Peavey's website and see if you can send it to them directly or get someone to pick it up from your house.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."

Last edited by eddiehimself : 03-09-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
guitarmaniac88

I'm seriously probably the ONLY person here who has any recording equipment whatsoever. Rural Arkansas doesn't generally have home studios, even ones as small and cheap as mine.

I have no money, so I can't get another interface, and I didn't expect it to be fixed in time anyway. He did say to let him know by today or tomorrow if I could do it, but I guess I won't make it this time. My only choice at this point is DI through my guitar amp's 3.5 mm headphone jack, and that gives me unacceptably terrible tone.

I could try micing the amp and doing the microphone straight to the computer, but again, it will probably sound like crap and I can't have that.

It's so very frustrating.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote:
Old 03-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmaniac88
I'm seriously probably the ONLY person here who has any recording equipment whatsoever. Rural Arkansas doesn't generally have home studios, even ones as small and cheap as mine.

I have no money, so I can't get another interface, and I didn't expect it to be fixed in time anyway. He did say to let him know by today or tomorrow if I could do it, but I guess I won't make it this time. My only choice at this point is DI through my guitar amp's 3.5 mm headphone jack, and that gives me unacceptably terrible tone.

I could try micing the amp and doing the microphone straight to the computer, but again, it will probably sound like crap and I can't have that.

It's so very frustrating.

Yeah man, that's a shitter. As I say, if you want me to record the bass part for you, then at least that way you can pretend you've done it . Got some songs on my profile anyway if you want to give them a listen.

Last edited by eddiehimself : 03-09-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
anarkee
oh the horror!

If you don't have your POD manual, download one from Line6 and follow the directions to run tests on the unit's hardware. If the hardware passes (Memory, USB etc), then you might want to try doing a firmware upgrade.

If the hardware fails, then your only option is to send it back to Line6 for diagnostic and repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
guitarmaniac88

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarkee
If you don't have your POD manual, download one from Line6 and follow the directions to run tests on the unit's hardware. If the hardware passes (Memory, USB etc), then you might want to try doing a firmware upgrade.

If the hardware fails, then your only option is to send it back to Line6 for diagnostic and repair.

My POD manual didn't have anything like that to help and the online manual didn't either. Links to something that might?

And it's a nice offer to do my bass for me, but since my POD is my interface, I can't really record anything decently now. If it's out, I'm pretty much out.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote:
Old 03-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
anarkee
oh the horror!

http://line6.com/support/thread/6791

Here's a good thread from their support forum. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #11
guitarmaniac88

I saw that thread earlier, I'll click some links in it and see where it takes me sometime in the next couple of days.

Thanks for the help guys.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: