Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
Mr E Meat
Custom User Title

What should I trade my 6505+ 112 for (need punx inside)

Budget? - trade/sale value of a 6505+ 112 in good condition

Genres? - Punk, Ska, Thrash

New or Used? - No preference. Would prefer new to avoid the "trying to find rare amp on craigslist" shuffle

Home or Gig? - Home. I suck. I like good tone cause it makes me enjoy playing and motivates me to get better. But I suck.

Closest City? - Champbana/chicago

Current Gear? - Peavey 6505+ 112, Marshall Mg15cdr, Ibanez RG3EXFM1 with Duncan distortion pickup set, ibanez ts7, other basic pedals nobody cares about

I like my peavey but no matter what I do with it everything sounds like melodic metal. It's great when I play melodic thrash stuff. Other stuff not so much. I actually prefer the dinky marshall practice amp for punk and ska. Which would be great if it didn't sound like complete balls past 4 on volume. I'd like to get something capable of this:

and some

and maybe

I would like to take this space here to reiterate again that I suck. I'm not looking for something loud enough to gig with a drummer who goes ham on his kit or piss off the whole apartment complex with my mistakes I just want to plug into something that sounds good enough to put a dumb grin on my face. 1x12 tube combo is probably as loud as I want to go.

P.S. If I'm being an idiot and my problem is that I don't know how to eq/just need a pedal/pickups are bad@punk make sure to make fun of me in a clever way and explain.

posts of "does it make noise? Then it's good enough for punk!!" greatly appreciated

Last edited by Mr E Meat : 03-10-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Mr E Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
tukk04
UG's Neil Young

You aren't being an idiot in the least, certain amps are harder to coax certain tones out of, a 6505 is going to take some tweaking to get ska clean out of. As for specifics, idk I'm more of a twin guy (and some weird offbeat amps) A 1x12 univox (not vox) like I have would fit your needs but they are not too common) Try a Hot rod deluxe, some people hat them but they sound good to me, I bet the people that say certain amps suck just don't know how to dial them in. Definitely get yourself a good dirt pedal with any leftover cash. I used to use individual pedals but I've taken a liking to a zoom G3 I found a deal on used, been using the big muff and ds1 models and the phaser on it mostly.

Soundcloud
tukk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
Bigbazz

A used Marshall TSL combo?
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
Robbgnarly

Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Marshall JCM2000 DSL201
Mesa DC-3
Mesa Rectoverb 1x12
Mesa Stilleto Ace 1x12
Mesa Blue Angel 1x12
Mesa Mark III 1x12
Fender prosonic
Fender Supersonic 22
Laney VC50
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
harrisonatsix

If you have a cab, then I'd try and find a used Blackstar series one 6l6 head, it is the most versatile head I've ever tried and I really want one myself. It has great cleans, a brilliant crunch channel which with the super crunch enabled can do a brilliant punk tone and the OD channels are both brilliant for metal or anything overdriven really as well. You also have the added bonus of a footswitch included so you wouldn't need to buy anything extra with it.

harrisonatsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Robbgnarly

BlackStar amps are OK, but deff nothing great at all. any one of the combos listed above will be much better and managable
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 03-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
Bigbazz

Not tried any Blackstar amps personally but the one in the video has some interesting sounds and dynamics, though I dislike Chappers playing and find him annoying, the amp itself sounds great to me.
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Old 03-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I guess I'll be 'that guy' for this thread.

I don't see what the problem would be with your existing amp. The 6505+112 actually pulls off some nice clean stuff.

Also, check out this guys 6505+ head/Mesa 412 NAD and check out his clean clip.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1592074

Now as far as your Budget. I think you'll be lucky to get $400 for your 6505+112. Is that your budget?

And here is my obligatory Peavey Vypyr 60 recommendation. Get a used Vypyr 60 for around $300.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
ikey_

i could probably say my tweaker 40 with the right pedals could pull off all those tones fairly well. perhaps not verbatim but close.
_________

im am getting a vision in my head. it says a 2 channel orange or a vox with some good boost / FUZZ pedals.

6505 - yeah not bad. pretty crystal, but i might say a bit sterile. i find that completely acceptable for needing a clean channel on top of metal.

for a soulful blues player - bullocks.

how can you watch that vid and not agree chappers is a BEAST. i mean i dunno if hes a pro musician or anything but for a dude on a lot of youtube vids he is a very skilled guitarist.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)

Last edited by ikey_ : 03-10-2013 at 01:02 PM.
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
l3p4rd
ponx

I use a 6505+ for folk punk. Just turn down the pre a lot and turn up the post.

Try playing the Crunch channel for your ska upstrokes and boost with your TS7 for distortion parts if you're playing 3rd wave. A reverb pedal could help your cleans out as well. Just don't go crazy with your pre and you can get more sounds, less is more.

Edit: I just saw you posted choking victim. Maybe look into a guitar with single coils for ska/punk. They use a relatively high gain sound with guitars that have less output (or at least that's how I hear it)
Gretsch G5120

Last edited by l3p4rd : 03-10-2013 at 02:56 PM.
l3p4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

^ Listen to this guy. He owns a 6505+ and a Hot Rod Deville

Here's the flip side though. The 6505+ is def not a Ska amp. I guess it depends on how much punk and thrash you do.

There are two schools of thought basically.

1.) Get a cleaner'ish amp and bump it with pedals
2.) Get an amp that covers everything on its own and just tweak it

That said on the Chambana craigslist I see a: Laney AOR, Traynor YCV80, Fender HRD, Fender GDEC30, Peavey Classic 50, Peavey Delta Blues.

A Peavey Valveking would probably work well too.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 03-10-2013 at 05:33 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
Maineguitarist
Go to Mainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr E Meat
]New or Used? - No preference. Would prefer new to avoid the "trying to find rare amp on craigslist" shuffle

CONTRADITIONS FTW!!!! Just thought I'd be the prick to point that out

*ahem* in all seriousness, just turn down the Pre-amp and turn up the Post for cleans, and the crunch and Distort channels are good for punk if you dial it right, I know I got good punk-esque tone yesterday on it while at GC. Just keep trying and if that doesn't work out still then get a single channel JCM 800 clone (or original if you must have the Marshall logo on the front)
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Maineguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #13
harrisonatsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
BlackStar amps are OK, but deff nothing great at all. any one of the combos listed above will be much better and managable

I seriously thought the same until I tried this one, it's got all the versatility of a Mesa at half the price with better cleans and the super crunch channel is just the best sounding crunch I've ever heard.
I'd avoid anything else made by them though, it's all a bit average except maybe the el34 version which is just a smoother less gainy version of this amp.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #14
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisonatsix
I seriously thought the same until I tried this one, it's got all the versatility of a Mesa at half the price with better cleans and the super crunch channel is just the best sounding crunch I've ever heard.
I'd avoid anything else made by them though, it's all a bit average except maybe the el34 version which is just a smoother less gainy version of this amp.

The series one are as expensive as Mesa Dual Recto's, and the HT are just plain bad. I'd take a recto/markIII over a blackstar any day
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 03-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #15
BobDetroit
►Motor City ♪

Quote:
The series one are as expensive as Mesa Dual Recto's, and the HT are just plain bad. I'd take a recto/markIII over a blackstar any day
The guy's budget is the trade value of his used 6505 112 so I'm not sure why you're talking Rectifiers and Mark III either..
BobDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #16
Mr E Meat
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
I guess I'll be 'that guy' for this thread.

I don't see what the problem would be with your existing amp. The 6505+112 actually pulls off some nice clean stuff

it's passable on low pre low post with the guitar volume cut to 1/3 but it gets breakup when i turn the post up to make it loud
Old 03-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #17
harrisonatsix

Quote:

Damn, I forget about you guys being in the US in the UK the Blackstar's are half the price
Old 03-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #18
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisonatsix
Damn, I forget about you guys being in the US in the UK the Blackstar's are half the price

Yeah we get some good deals, but we get shafted on alot of amps that are from Europe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 03-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

I'd use the 6505 its punk your not supposed to give a shit, but if you can trade for a DSL combo do it.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #20
Bigbazz

Us guys in the UK often get shafted on American products like Mesa Boogie, they are often 2-3x the price of Marshalls here.
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V

Rate This Thread: