Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
Renots024Young

I wanna be a sweeper when I grow up

Any advice on sweeps? I know my fretting hand is trained enough because if I mute the strings up by the nut with my picking hand, I can fly through arpeggios with my fret hand lol, legato style. But when I try to sweep pick it, I suck.. I need advice on the actual picking technique itself.
Renots024Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renots024Young
Any advice on sweeps? I know my fretting hand is trained enough because if I mute the strings up by the nut with my picking hand, I can fly through arpeggios with my fret hand lol, legato style. But when I try to sweep pick it, I suck.. I need advice on the actual picking technique itself.

You mean if you use your picking hand as a substitute for a dampener you can sound like a tots awesome sw33p3r? Anyone can do that. And i mean anyone. It eliminates the need for proper muting not to mention there's no right hand technique involved, and fact is that muting is the single most important part of sweeping. If i were to analyse the importance of picking hand opposed to fretting hand i'd say it's 75% picking hand, 25% fretting hand, give or take 10% depending on the difficulty and nature of the sweep.

Freepower has some good video's on sweeping and there's a tonne on youtube.

So yeah, i'm not gonna write a big essay on the technique of sweep picking because there's way way way too many video's out there that can explain with visuals just as well, but basically.. Stop the whole dampening with your picking hand thing cos it's gonna get you nowhere.
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112

Last edited by vayne92 : 03-10-2013 at 08:53 AM.
vayne92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
Renots024Young

Lol my friend tried both ways and sucked at both haha. I agree, I feel like muting with my picking hand is cheating. I don't want to halfass it. I really want to learn to sweep the right way
Renots024Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
Dreamdancer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayne92
If i were to analyse the importance of picking hand opposed to fretting hand i'd say it's 75% picking hand, 25% fretting hand, give or take 10% depending on the difficulty and nature of the sweep.

I would say the opposite.The fretting hand actually separates the notes,when you want a note to die just lift slightly the fretted note and its muted.The picking hand mainly takes care of the lower strings that are completely exposed.
Dreamdancer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamdancer11
I would say the opposite.The fretting hand actually separates the notes,when you want a note to die just lift slightly the fretted note and its muted.The picking hand mainly takes care of the lower strings that are completely exposed.

Well at least we can agree that ultimately the synchronization between both hands is what makes it all come together :P
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
5_Years_Dead
Banned

Nobody says they wanna be a janitor when they grow up.
5_Years_Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

Take a sweeping lick, and practice it slowly with guitar pro or metronome for 30 minutes without single pause. Then take pause, and practice it again. Repeat until results.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: