Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 03-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
Adrian89
UG Freak
 
Adrian89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madrid
So I'm considering a new amp

Now I have a new work and money, I'm planning to invest a little quantity in a new head to compliment my JCM 900 SLX. Im looking for versatility, the opposite from the SL-X but maintaining the great tone.
I have looked Spider valves, VYPYRS tube, H&K Statesman and a peavey XXX but I cant decide and need some advice.
I will spent 600-700 euros for a second hand unit
__________________
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Adrian89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
Offworld92
One among the fence.
 
Offworld92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern California, USA
What do you need the amp to be able to do?

What bands-albums-songs have tones you'd like to be able to get?
__________________
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Adrian89
UG Freak
 
Adrian89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madrid
Im looking for something like my sound (http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/alb...orrible-warning) but way more versatile than the amp I own. I need at least a good clean, crunch and distortion.
__________________
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Adrian89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
Offworld92
One among the fence.
 
Offworld92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern California, USA
Is your budget flexible at all? It sounds like a 3ch Mesa Dual Rectifier would suit you well. You can get them used for around $800 fairly easily if you look around for a bit.

EDIT: Not sure what they run for where you live though.
__________________
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
Adrian89
UG Freak
 
Adrian89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Is your budget flexible at all? It sounds like a 3ch Mesa Dual Rectifier would suit you well. You can get them used for around $800 fairly easily if you look around for a bit.

EDIT: Not sure what they run for where you live though.


I dont really like the Boogie type of sound, so Im basically a marshall high gain oriented player, but I also enjoy 5150ish kind of brutality that's why I was looking for the amps I written before, having several kinds of sounds together.
__________________
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Adrian89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
Offworld92
One among the fence.
 
Offworld92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern California, USA
Well the 5150 II / 6505+ is a psuedo 3 channel amp (2 channels w/ 2 modes for clean/crunch). It has okay cleans, they're just a little dull. If you want 5150 tone, nothing else will do it but a 5150. The 6505 model on the Vypyr sounds like a recorded/post EQ'd 6505 sounds like. It's pretty good, but it doesn't have the sheer raw balls that a real 5150 has.
__________________
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
Dimarzio45
Finally Divorced Peggy
 
Dimarzio45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rochester, NY - USA
Check out Carvin amps. Cheap and great quality!
Dimarzio45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Robbgnarly
Registered User
 
Robbgnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSB, FL
Laney VH100r
Marshall JCM2000 DSL50/100
Peavey JSX
__________________
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #9
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
 
nickdohle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Yea check out a Marshall JCM DSL 100. They have great cleans, and that marshall rock tone in it. It can do metal with a good OD or boost and it has 2 channels, each with 2 modes. Plus spring reverb and an effects loop.

I dont like the new DSL 100s. The JCMs are better in my opinion.
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:44 AM   #10
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian89
I dont really like the Boogie type of sound, so Im basically a marshall high gain oriented player, but I also enjoy 5150ish kind of brutality that's why I was looking for the amps I written before, having several kinds of sounds together.


i am not trying to push anything, but what about mesa tone don't you like? mesa has a very broad spectrum of amps. Mark's sound totally different than Recs, then there are a whole ton of lesser known equally great models.

for example i am pretty sure most of them can swap in different tubes. you can throw a pair of EL34's in a MKIV (only two but you need to throw a switch and you will be pure EL34) just a thought.

so basically if you could describe why you don't like them then maybe we can help you in another direction.

mesa's aren't the amp for everybody.

__________________

Splawn Quick Rod?

if you are looking for a lot of flexibility you could look for an Egnater Renegade. i owned one for a year or two and they pretty much did it all. some of the features are what i would consider gimmicky, but there is good tone to be had. not overly high gain.

i know a few people on here who really digging kranks. i don't remember the last time i played a krank, but it was quite a while ago. the + series seem to be the only 'good' ones.... definitely not for everybody.

Fryette? may be able to get a deliverance for that.
__________________
FRYETTE SIG-X
SPLAWN KT88 NITRO
SPLAWN KT88 PROMOD
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:32 AM   #11
Adrian89
UG Freak
 
Adrian89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i am not trying to push anything, but what about mesa tone don't you like? mesa has a very broad spectrum of amps. Mark's sound totally different than Recs, then there are a whole ton of lesser known equally great models.

for example i am pretty sure most of them can swap in different tubes. you can throw a pair of EL34's in a MKIV (only two but you need to throw a switch and you will be pure EL34) just a thought.

so basically if you could describe why you don't like them then maybe we can help you in another direction.

mesa's aren't the amp for everybody.

__________________

Splawn Quick Rod?

if you are looking for a lot of flexibility you could look for an Egnater Renegade. i owned one for a year or two and they pretty much did it all. some of the features are what i would consider gimmicky, but there is good tone to be had. not overly high gain.

i know a few people on here who really digging kranks. i don't remember the last time i played a krank, but it was quite a while ago. the + series seem to be the only 'good' ones.... definitely not for everybody.

Fryette? may be able to get a deliverance for that.


I dont really dig the tipe of grain of the Mesa's distortion, it's just personal preference. Also I'm limited by the amount and the price of second hand heads in Madrid, they are expensive and limited in variety.
Right now, my only options are:
- Peavey VYPYR tube 120
- Spider valve 100hd
- Vetta II head (not sure if still available
- Marshall JCM 2000 TSL60
- H&K Dual Statesman
__________________
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Adrian89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:47 AM   #12
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian89
I dont really dig the tipe of grain of the Mesa's distortion, it's just personal preference. Also I'm limited by the amount and the price of second hand heads in Madrid, they are expensive and limited in variety.
Right now, my only options are:
- Peavey VYPYR tube 120
- Spider valve 100hd
- Vetta II head (not sure if still available
- Marshall JCM 2000 TSL60
- H&K Dual Statesman


Not to argue as they are stupid expensive over there, as well as rare but you missed his point. The Mark and Rectifier series have completely different distortion and characteristics. Vastly different. Also the Royal Atlantic from Mesa is more of a british flavor- probably still over budget but more to your liking. Might be something worth looking into for the future.

Back on point- the TSL series isn't as good as the DSL. I'd try to find one a DSL 50 or 100. Worth the effort and wait.

Happy searching
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
red.guitar
Imagine All The People
 
red.guitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Saskatchewan
a cheap solution would be a Jet City JCA50H or 100H.

For a $500 amp, they sound pretty sweet. Very similar to a Soldano hot rod.
__________________
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
MIJ Contemporary Strat
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Vox AC30CCH
Mesa Boogie 212
Randall 212+115
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #14
Offworld92
One among the fence.
 
Offworld92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern California, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian89
Right now, my only options are:
- Peavey VYPYR tube 120
- Spider valve 100hd
- Vetta II head (not sure if still available
- Marshall JCM 2000 TSL60
- H&K Dual Statesman


Vypyr Tube and Vetta II are the best options on there. Vetta is much more flexible. I think the sound quality is arguable. I like both amps a lot, but I haven't spent enough time with a Vetta to say if it sounds better or worse than the Vypyr. FWIW, the Vetta & HD147 (and arguably the DT50) are the only modeling heads out there that I would say contend with the VYpyr.
__________________
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #15
Adrian89
UG Freak
 
Adrian89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Vypyr Tube and Vetta II are the best options on there. Vetta is much more flexible. I think the sound quality is arguable. I like both amps a lot, but I haven't spent enough time with a Vetta to say if it sounds better or worse than the Vypyr. FWIW, the Vetta & HD147 (and arguably the DT50) are the only modeling heads out there that I would say contend with the VYpyr.


The vetta now is sold so now I only have in my list the VYPYR and the SPIDER VALVE. Only have experience with the SV and was an amazing amp, sounds great but im curious about the VyPYR, is it that good?
__________________
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Adrian89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #16
Maidenheadsteve
I do the guitar good
 
Maidenheadsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Worcester and/or Boston
Used Marshall TSL. However, since you can afford the TSL, you may also want to consider a peavey JSX for the same general used price and XXX for less, just to add another option.
__________________
"If I dared your son to do something, HE'D BE DEAD" Eugene Mirman.
Like my band Synister Funk on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Syni...568378836546331
Maidenheadsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
Offworld92
One among the fence.
 
Offworld92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern California, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian89
The vetta now is sold so now I only have in my list the VYPYR and the SPIDER VALVE. Only have experience with the SV and was an amazing amp, sounds great but im curious about the VyPYR, is it that good?


You liking it is the most important thing. If you like the SV and it works for you, then go for it.

That said, I'm of the opinion that the SV is a joke. I think it sounds like crap compared to the Vypyr Tube, and it has very limited flexibility. I think the Vypyr is limited, the the Spider is even moreso. Add the fact that it costs 2x as much and I would never consider it. The only redeeming value it has is that it looks really cool.

IMO.
__________________
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:59 AM   #18
Adrian89
UG Freak
 
Adrian89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
You liking it is the most important thing. If you like the SV and it works for you, then go for it.

That said, I'm of the opinion that the SV is a joke. I think it sounds like crap compared to the Vypyr Tube, and it has very limited flexibility. I think the Vypyr is limited, the the Spider is even moreso. Add the fact that it costs 2x as much and I would never consider it. The only redeeming value it has is that it looks really cool.

IMO.



Why do you think they're limited? Im interested in your opinion, really.
__________________
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Adrian89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #19
Deadpool_25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Wait, are you wanting something to use alongside the 900 or something to use instead of the 900?
__________________
Guitars
- Fender John Mayer Strat
- Fender MIJ Strat
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Deadpool_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #20
Offworld92
One among the fence.
 
Offworld92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern California, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian89
Why do you think they're limited? Im interested in your opinion, really.


I did some looking and it looks like the SV is a lot more flexible than I thought it was (a lot more than the regular Spiders anyway). Apparently it has 20 FX, with up to 4 at once. The 4 at once is nice - the Vypyr Tube can only do 2 at once (& Delay & Reverb). That's what I mean by it's very limited. Still, if you ever have need for more than 4 FX simultaneously, then you're SOL. I don't like being limited like that.
__________________
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:35 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.