Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
everythingdies
Lost control again

muting string bend release?

So I'm trying to work my way through the book Blues You Can Use , and the lesson I'm on is focusing on bends. It says this:

Quote:
When you bend up to a note where no reverse bend back down follows it, mute the string as you release the bend so that you can't hear the note bending back. This can be accomplished by letting up very slightly on the pressure on the string--only enough to stop the string from sounding, but not enough to let it slip from your finger back into place on the neck.

I wasn't exactly sure how to go about this (Like, lift my finger up just enough so that the string stays in the same spot under my finger, but muted? Or lift up enough that string rolls under my finger in a controlled fashion?) so I tried to look up videos on youtube. Nobody seems to talk about this particular technique. The closest I found was a guy saying that when a string needs to be muted on release, after the bend, just mute it with your right hand.

So my question is, if I should do this how the book says, how exactly should I do that? Or, should I just forget what it says and mute with my right hand? Any advice?
everythingdies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

I would probably suggest muting it with your picking hand instead but there's no harm in working on a fretting hand mute as well.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Dreamdancer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingdies
So I'm trying to work my way through the book Blues You Can Use , and the lesson I'm on is focusing on bends. It says this:

I wasn't exactly sure how to go about this (Like, lift my finger up just enough so that the string stays in the same spot under my finger, but muted? Or lift up enough that string rolls under my finger in a controlled fashion?) so I tried to look up videos on youtube. Nobody seems to talk about this particular technique. The closest I found was a guy saying that when a string needs to be muted on release, after the bend, just mute it with your right hand.

So my question is, if I should do this how the book says, how exactly should I do that? Or, should I just forget what it says and mute with my right hand? Any advice?

Releasing the pressure is a mighty fine muting technique in general and not only in bending, but especially in bending try to accompany that approach by simply extending your index finger to touch the lower strings.When bending with the 2,3 or 4th finger on the G string for example just extend your index finger to touch the D and A...presto...perfect muting .

Last edited by Dreamdancer11 : 03-12-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Dreamdancer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
everythingdies
Lost control again

Thanks guys!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
bustapr
Marty's loyal follower

you can try releasing some pressure on youre fretting hand and at the same time muting the strings with your pcking hand while releasing the bend.

also, if you play with your picking hand closed (looks like a fist) you can try muting individual strings with your fingers(like how satch mutes his legato).

Ive never focused on this technique so dont take me too seriously, but Im sure these muting techniques might work.

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
bustapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
robertwilliam9

Yeah I would say just mute it with your right hand. That's probably going to be the most natural feeling way to go about it.

If you get the hang of that and feel comfortable with it, you could then try and work on muting with your fretting hand.
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
guitarchalk.com
robertwilliam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:27 AM   #7
everythingdies
Lost control again

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwilliam9
Yeah I would say just mute it with your right hand. That's probably going to be the most natural feeling way to go about it.

Yeah this is what I'll just go with for now. I'm still trying to get too many basics down to worry about more advanced things that no one else seem to be doing.

Rate This Thread: