Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
Althier

Some tricks to get Hendrix sounds

Whats up folks?

First of all, this is just some ideas that came to me when i have been playing, althought i dont have the hability to play exactly his music yet, the few hendrix licks i know, sounded incredible with this use of my gear.

You will need:

A wah, and if you do, an univibe. A strat its other main point.

I use a peavey delta blues all tube amp, 60s reverse strat fender mim, fulltone deja vibe 2 univibe, bad monkey overdrive and a nice cry baby original wah.

If you have a effects loop and an univibe, run it through the effects loop, personally i found the effect much more dramatic.
The key to get to tone like this (search "ONE MORE TIME - Jimi Hendrix" in youtube, this is a part of his isle of wight machine gun masterpiece) its turn bass and mids on your amp all the way up, and just let a little treble fly on, but if you play at monstruous volumes, maybe you will leave it at 0. This awkward equalization has a reason. Turn on your cry baby wah (very trebly wah) and leave it on all the way down, so you will achieve a fat very aggressive sound, almost screaming, but warm and not treble-deaf at all (if you leave the treble past 12 you may find it too trebly).

Thanks for your time, dont forget to post something, it will really help me to post more things!

Regards!
Althier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

So basically you're saying "if you have this gear, you can do this"? Really?

Why is this here?
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
Althier

Do you mean i posted in a wrong forum? If thats the case, my apologizes.

Im new and i dont know where post advices about gear use.

And well, im saying some unusual ways of using that gear, just wanted to share some information that i would had found very useful a year ago...

Greetings from Alabama
Old 03-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
chronowarp

I think gear is probably the least important factor in trying to sound like anybody, and especially Hendrix.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
ouchies
UG's OG

IMO all you need is a strat / strat voiced instrument and an amp w/ a fat bottom end that can get fuzzy.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
Hail
kill both bass players

yeah and you have to suck really bad at guitar, there's no faking the sound of somebody who sucks dick really bad because hendrix sucked dick REALLY REALLY bad at guitar, like atrociously

like it's not even a comparison, the new wave of guitarists like brain/munky and chad kroeger win him out EVERY day cause he has no groove or rhythm he just plays modes all day PFFFT

i hope jimi hendrix dies already so i can stop hearing about him the only reason people talk about him is cause he's still alive what a dumb bitch
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
crispykids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
yeah and you have to suck really bad at guitar, there's no faking the sound of somebody who sucks dick really bad because hendrix sucked dick REALLY REALLY bad at guitar, like atrociously

like it's not even a comparison, the new wave of guitarists like brain/munky and chad kroeger win him out EVERY day cause he has no groove or rhythm he just plays modes all day PFFFT

i hope jimi hendrix dies already so i can stop hearing about him the only reason people talk about him is cause he's still alive what a dumb bitch

Yea nice try but that wasn't funny, trolling is an art try again
crispykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispykids

huh
Old 03-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
Althier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail

Reported.

You will be soon banned my friend, nice try, keep the good values.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
schwinginbatman
Excuse me, good sir!

Lol the sarcasm is dripping from that post, I love that you all reported him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashIsWin
It's like someone listening to some really old blues or whatever and going, "What a prick. Obviously you ****ing 'woke up this morning'. Twat."
schwinginbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispykids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Althier
Reported.

You will be soon banned my friend, nice try, keep the good values.

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
Althier

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwinginbatman
Lol the sarcasm is dripping from that post, I love that you all reported him.

Obviously I didnt reported him, just joking... But i dont find any fun in that sarcasm, may you explain me?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
Hail
kill both bass players

what sarcasm
Old 03-14-2013, 02:33 AM   #14
loinmute
U.G's Wookie

it's in the fingertips, but in a number of way: pressure, movement, mechanics of each finger, mechanics of wrist, plectrum technique etc etc etc for pets sake man, get a grip

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
loinmute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:34 AM   #15
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Althier
Obviously I didnt reported him, just joking... But i dont find any fun in that sarcasm, may you explain me?
What language is this allegedly written in, Ig Pay Atin laY...? You sound sort of like Yoda, but with a speech impediment.

To keep this on topic, to sound like Hendrix you must, play a right handed Stratocaster left handed, buy at least a pair of 100 watt Marshall tube heads, and four 4x12 cabinets packed with either Celestion or JBL drivers. Any kind of shitty sounding vintage germanium fuzz is a must have! (Just in case the strat pickups don't have the balls to clip the Marshalls).

Keep a can of lighter fluid handy for the encore. (Or a quart of charcoal starter for when you're doing a stadium gig).

Last edited by Captaincranky : 03-14-2013 at 03:41 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #16
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man

no fuzz face? you can't get most of his tones without one. also i hope you are using the tube amp correctly. that is, cranking it up and getting most of your overdrive from the amp. if you are playing clean and using the pedal for gain, it really wont sound the same. plus a fuzz face sounds much better in an overdriven amp rather than a clean one.

check out my youtube page for some songs.
Blind In 1 Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #17
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind In 1 Ear
no fuzz face? you can't get most of his tones without one. also i hope you are using the tube amp correctly. that is, cranking it up and getting most of your overdrive from the amp. if you are playing clean and using the pedal for gain, it really wont sound the same. plus a fuzz face sounds much better in an overdriven amp rather than a clean one.
Check! I know you have to "distort the distortion".

Consider this:
Quote:
Any kind of shitty sounding vintage germanium fuzz is a must have!
to be a euphemism for "Fuzz Face".

Maybe you could answer a question for me though, and perhaps save me a few thousand dollars on obviously much needed therapy.

Why do I seem to be the only guitar player on the planet who prefers listening to a pedal steel pumped through a stack of clean Fender Twins, as opposed to listening to the constant, dismal drone, of premeditated, overused, distortion?
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #18
HotspurJr

Quote:
IMO all you need is a strat / strat voiced instrument and an amp w/ a fat bottom end that can get fuzzy.

Right. Because Hendrix didn't sound like Hendrix when he played a flying V, les paul, or SG.

Which he did.

That being said, here's a technique to incorporate into your playing to sound a little more hendrixy:

Instead of playing e-shaped barre chords, think of your barres are four-string F chords, with your thumb wrapped around the neck to get the low e string and mute the A string.

This leaves your pinkie free for embellishments on the top three strings.

This technique, combined with playing way behind the beat (but still in time) will make pretty much everyone think "hendrix."

Even if you're on an acoustic.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #19
ouchies
UG's OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
Right. Because Hendrix didn't sound like Hendrix when he played a flying V, les paul, or SG.

Which he did.

That being said, here's a technique to incorporate into your playing to sound a little more hendrixy:

Instead of playing e-shaped barre chords, think of your barres are four-string F chords, with your thumb wrapped around the neck to get the low e string and mute the A string.

This leaves your pinkie free for embellishments on the top three strings.

This technique, combined with playing way behind the beat (but still in time) will make pretty much everyone think "hendrix."

Even if you're on an acoustic.

I thought we were talking about his guitar tone. The tone I wrote about is the tone hendrix is known for.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #20
jrenkert

Tone is in the fingers imo

Rate This Thread: