Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
GuitarGaz91

Hitting A Wall

Hey Guys,

Ive been playing guitar for the best part of 10 years on and off and just in the past 6
months or so ive taking to it seriously and trying to improve but i seem to have just hit a wall , I just cant seem to get upto speed .Im trying to learn some Gilbert,Malmsteen etc and i Just cant seem to get my hands to speed without messing up .I practice at slower speeds but when it comes to playing at 100% it just falls apart and i spend so long practicing individual parts that i always end up just moving onto another song..

Im just looking for some methods and a structure of how to go about learning songs..Im self taught and my theory skills are non existent

Last edited by GuitarGaz91 : 03-12-2013 at 03:13 PM.
GuitarGaz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
antisun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGaz91
Hey Guys,

Ive been playing guitar for the best part of 10 years on and off and just in the past 6
months or so ive taking to it seriously and trying to improve but i seem to have just hit a wall , I just cant seem to get upto speed .Im trying to learn some Gilbert,Malmsteen etc and i Just cant seem to get my hands to speed without messing up .I practice at slower speeds but when it comes to playing at 100% it just falls apart and i spend so long practicing individual parts that i always end up just moving onto another song..

Im just looking for some methods and a structure of how to go about learning songs..Im self taught and my theory skills are non existent

Maybe try posting a video of you playing it slowly, then trying to play it quickly, i'm sure more advanced players will easily spot what you're doing wrong.
antisun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
racertj5
Wannabe Guitar God

Improving speed isn't just about starting slow then moving faster, it is also about minimizing movement and doing as few motions as possible
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
racertj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
GuitarGaz91

Quote:
Originally Posted by racertj5
Improving speed isn't just about starting slow then moving faster, it is also about minimizing movement and doing as few motions as possible

Do you have any links to lessons on this or a thread ? That seems to be my problem
I find myself making a lot of unneeded movements
Old 03-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Do you have any links to lessons on this or a thread ? That seems to be my problem
I find myself making a lot of unneeded movements

Freepower has some good videos on this but I will say one thing on the subject:

You will need to practice slower than you ever considered before to really work on economy of motion. You need to practice at a speed where you can actually control exactly what you're doing rather than just relying on muscle memory. Almost any tempo that's recognisable as being musical is probably too fast... unless you listen to a lot of Sunn O))).
Old 03-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
GuitarGaz91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Freepower has some good videos on this but I will say one thing on the subject:

You will need to practice slower than you ever considered before to really work on economy of motion. You need to practice at a speed where you can actually control exactly what you're doing rather than just relying on muscle memory. Almost any tempo that's recognisable as being musical is probably too fast... unless you listen to a lot of Sunn O))).

Thanks! ill give it a go! Is freepower a website or a youtube channel??Or what is it ?lol
Old 03-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Thanks! ill give it a go! Is freepower a website or a youtube channel??Or what is it ?lol

Sorry, not used to people not knowing who he is

Freepower is one of the two mods for this subforum, you can find links to all his lesson material in his signature, he started the technique help thread so you can find everything you need to know in the first post of that.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
GuitarGaz91

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Sorry, not used to people not knowing who he is

Freepower is one of the two mods for this subforum, you can find links to all his lesson material in his signature, he started the technique help thread so you can find everything you need to know in the first post of that.

haha thanks dude!!

Rate This Thread: