Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
J2G
UG Member

Playing In a Band

I didn't know where else to put this, since this is actually about getting better and stuff I decided to put it here.

Basically me and this bassist I met like 2 weeks ago are trying to find people to jam/band with. I've never played in a band or even other people (still have yet to even play with the bassist lol)

I've read all over that it's very helpful to the player to play with others, so I'm looking forward to it.

But I've only been playing guitar for about a year, I have some little riffs made up here and there, and like one or 2 basic acoustic songs but I mean... is it too early for me to be in a band or something? Or will it make it easier to create just jamming with people ?
(I don't know what to expect)
J2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Geldin

It's never too early to play with other people. I've found that I'm at my best when I play with other musicians.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
bondmorkret

Definitely never too early, you'll find your playing will come on leaps and bounds when you start jamming with other people. Never be afraid to ask questions either, if someone plays something cool, ask them to explain/show it, that's how you learn!
Old 03-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Start playing with other people as fast as possible.

I started playing with a lot of people when i had only played for 4 months, and they were A LOT better than i was. But being around players that were a lot better than me allowed me to learn a lot quicker, get advice and just generally improve in a much quicker way than if i would of locked myself in my bedroom and practiced.

I got a lot of advice and free "lessons" from it. Like i didn't know theory at all when i started out but learned quickly from one of the guys, who was much older and had a major in jazz theory.

The result of this is great. I am currently in high school studying in a music program (that's the way we have it here in sweden), and i am able to play and understand theory up to par with players that have played for 6-10 years, when i have played for 4 years myself. And a big reason for that is in my opinion that i have surrounded myself with great players and played and learned from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
robertwilliam9

I agree with the other posts as long as playing with other people is limited to jamming and not trying to pull off serious gigs right away.

Jam with people as much as you can, but my advice would be to keep the "let's start a band" chatter to a minimum until you and your band mates have a few more years of experience and musical development under your belt.

Just my opinion.
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
guitarchalk.com
robertwilliam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
Wolfie60

Best advice for playing with other folk is to jam a basic blues 12 bar and then you can learn to play along, solo etc etc

I played in bands for years and your skill reaches new heights but then you have to learn to entertain thats what bands do, and not just stand there and play !

Very hard to do, focus on playing but play to the audience ( even at practice)

Then nearly as important as what you play get the best sound you can get that works with the band, many a good guitarist have crap sound and its a shame
Wolfie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
AndyGray
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie60
learn to play along

This is one of the hardest things to pickup. When you've played together a long time you can get in sync and know what each other is thinking. Then you can perfect the big epic in time slow down parts that AC/DC do all the time live

Quote:
learn to entertain

"Wow, the musicianship was fantastic. Did you hear the 4-key changes & 17 tempos in that last track?" Ermm no.... Not many fans are bothered on this. More like...
"Dude, that guy headbanged his ****ing head off & I've never seen such an epic groin thrust"

Quote:
focus on playing but play to the audience

"See above, but wink at chicks"

Quote:
the best sound you can get

Yes, yes, yes, yes. Just played with a new-start local band & they were all fantastic players.
BUT, the drummer didn't hit very hard, the bassist sounded like a fart & the guitars were just midi-driven bee-in-a-can shite. Vocals were nice though.
A good complimenting guitar sound is essential.
AndyGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
J2G
UG Member

Thanks for the help guys. So I actually just jammed for the first time yesterday. All three others were way more experienced than me.

They were so sick... it motivated the hell out of me. Then the bassist who owns the studio told me "everyone has to lead". I don't know how :p.

How do I lead the jam sess? Play a few chords? Do I need to know a lot about time signatures?
J2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
robertwilliam9

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2G
Thanks for the help guys. So I actually just jammed for the first time yesterday. All three others were way more experienced than me.

They were so sick... it motivated the hell out of me. Then the bassist who owns the studio told me "everyone has to lead". I don't know how :p.

How do I lead the jam sess? Play a few chords? Do I need to know a lot about time signatures?

Pretty much. Just pick out an easy two or three notes and follow a beat. You don't really need to be able to count like a dummer, just be able to keep time. Count in uniform timing...1, 2, 3, 4..and follow along with that in your head.

If you want to practice that by yourself, play with a metronome or with a few songs you like. I love plugging my iPod into my Line 6 and playing along with stuff. Its definitely made me a stronger rhythm player.
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
guitarchalk.com
robertwilliam9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: