Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Hunterlevi

Beginner Pedal Board Question

So I'm making the move from digital to analog effects, from my Line 6 Pod, and now I am gathering research and information to start assembling my first pedal board. First off, I play a lot of hard rock and metal, so my first choice I've made is the Boss Metal Zone for my distortion pedal, where most of my distortion is going to come from, as I do not have a budget to afford a high-end high gain amp. Now I am leaning towards a tube screamer for an overdrive pedal, as I am under the impression that it will really increase the warmth and saturation of my tone, for leads, and as long as the level on the tube screamer is high, especially higher than my metal zone, it will really help my tone pop through the mix, in a live band setting. Is this assumption correct? I am also confused as to where a compressor would or would not be needed, for my genre.
Hunterlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

Well what amp are you currently using?

Also, do not get the Metal Zone, it is essentially a box that makes your guitar sound like an angry beehive.
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
j777p

From what I know the tube screamer will push your gain more, especially for lead parts. As far as a compressor pedal, it's nice to have and would be put in front of your distortion pedals. I play hard rock and metal also, among other genres, and I use a compressor pedal, and to me it makes my tone more even.
I agree with Random3 the metal zone is not that great for distortion, but it might be helpful as a beginner distortion pedal so you can find out what kind of distortion pedal you want in the future.

Last edited by j777p : 03-13-2013 at 02:41 PM.
j777p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
coldandhomeless

if you are just starting out, do yourself a favor, go on ebay, get joyo pedals. they are clones of REALLY EXPENSIVE pedals. get the joyo ultimate drive-clone of OCD as your pre gain, get the joyo crunch distortion-clone of mi audio crunchbox, get the joyo 6band eq, and joyo digital delay. you really dont need to spend all kinds of money, but these 44 dollar pedals will give you ENDLESS tone options...trust me. u dont want a metal zone. these pedals are on youtube too. joyo.
coldandhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
Hunterlevi

By angry bee hive you mean buzzing? I plan on getting a noise gate too. I have a randall sc200 and I've read mostly good things on the metal zone, such as the 660 ratings with a 5 star average on musicians friend. and I'm not against used gear at all, thats the only pedal i've already decided on that I've already ordered for 30... worth a try at least
Old 03-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

By angry beehive I mean the tone it gives you is just a fizzy trebly mess.

EDIT: Here

This all depends on what album you are going to use. If the amp is crap then there's not a lot of point buying a bunch of pedals, no matter how good they are.

Last edited by Random3 : 03-13-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterlevi
By angry bee hive you mean buzzing? I plan on getting a noise gate too. I have a randall sc200 and I've read mostly good things on the metal zone, such as the 660 ratings with a 5 star average on musicians friend. and I'm not against used gear at all, thats the only pedal i've already decided on that I've already ordered for 30... worth a try at least

I have had a Metal Zone for 12 months, bought it over all the 5 stars review. Please, don't buy it. It's pure shit.

EDIT: Also, noise gates only eliminate the noise when you are not playing. They don't interfere with the distortion tone, and can't eliminate the "angry bee hive" Dimebaggy sound.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.

Last edited by TheNameOfNoone : 03-13-2013 at 04:13 PM.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
metalhead983877
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random3
By angry beehive I mean the tone it gives you is just a fizzy trebly mess.

EDIT: Here

This all depends on what album you are going to use. If the amp is crap then there's not a lot of point buying a bunch of pedals, no matter how good they are.

I think the guy in the video doesn't know how EQs works... Come one, scooping the mids? The frequencies that a guitar lets out are mids... Might as well turn down your volume if you don't want anyone to hear you...
Old 03-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead983877
I think the guy in the video doesn't know how EQs works... Come one, scooping the mids? The frequencies that a guitar lets out are mids... Might as well turn down your volume if you don't want anyone to hear you...

The frequency ranges labelled as low, mid and high are relative. The EQ on that pedal will not be covering 20hz to 20khz, which is the range humans can hear, it will be covering something much smaller. You are correct that guitars are a midrange instrument, but that doesn't mean that by dialling out the mids you may as well just turn the volume down. It doesn't work like that. In a band situation, or when mixing, yes you will generally want plenty of mids, but when playing solo it is entirely personal preference.

Anyway, as with the guy a couple of posts up, I used to own a Metal Zone way back when I had a Marshall MG, and I thought "AMG it makes me sound like B4MV". Looking back I realise it actually sounded horrible.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
pawnluv
Spread The Luv

Honestly the metal zone isn't that bad.
Its not worth the money and i kinda wish I never bought it, I don't really use it anymore. But with the mids full on both the amp and the pedal and then tweaking the mid freq there were some decent tones.
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
RedWitch Fuzz God ll
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Last edited by pawnluv : 03-13-2013 at 05:12 PM.
pawnluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

I'll agree that it isn't that bad in the same way that, say, a Line 6 Spider or a Marshall MG isn't that bad. If you are a beginner, need something to play through and manage to find one incredibly cheap then they will do the job, but there are much better alternatives.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #12
metalhead983877
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random3
The frequency ranges labelled as low, mid and high are relative. The EQ on that pedal will not be covering 20hz to 20khz, which is the range humans can hear, it will be covering something much smaller. You are correct that guitars are a midrange instrument, but that doesn't mean that by dialling out the mids you may as well just turn the volume down. It doesn't work like that. In a band situation, or when mixing, yes you will generally want plenty of mids, but when playing solo it is entirely personal preference.

Anyway, as with the guy a couple of posts up, I used to own a Metal Zone way back when I had a Marshall MG, and I thought "AMG it makes me sound like B4MV". Looking back I realise it actually sounded horrible.

I was talking about when you play in a band, because you'll get buried in the mix if you scoop your mids. But it isn't better to boost your mids to the max, obviously, since you're going to be too "present", if I may say so, in the mix. Of course, when you are all alone and miserable and playing by yourself, do whatever sounds good to you man!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
Hunterlevi

So what are UG opions on good distortions pedals then?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #14
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

Quote:
So what are UG opions on good distortions pedals then?

Well what kinda sound are you looking for? Based on the metalzone I'm guessing modern ultra high gain metal?
tas38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #15
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

what amp are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #16
dkunick
Waco

IMHO, having built a very comprehensive board over a few years, just get a Line 6 M13 with expression pedal and be done with it. Can't be beat in my opinion. By the time you're done buying pedals, board, power supplies and cables to connect it all and then consider all the time spent determining what order and what pedal to get next...at the end of the day you'll save much money, effort and aggravation and free up more time for playing.

If you're constrained to just starting with a pedal or two for now so be it. A good OD and Wah should be early purchases. Skip the compressor...you'll be underwhelmed by the minor affect it has. And I second the what amp question, especially if your intention is to build a complete rig from scratch.
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
dkunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #17
Hunterlevi

Right now I'm playing a Randall SC200. I currently have a podhd500, but am just tired of it. I am looking to play hard rock and metal
Old 03-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #18
Hunterlevi

But anyways, I really like everything I've heard online rrom the Metal Zone. Perhaps my opinion of tone is skewed because of my years with spiders and pods, but I really like what I'm hearing in the aforementioned dimebagginess, which I like, obviously since I own a solid state Randall. Regardless of opinions on the metal zone this thread has gotten far away from my question. Will adding and overdrive pedal, such as a tube screamer, and raising the volume of the OD pedal increase my overall volume, warmth and saturation when I turn it on, strictly for soloing purposes
Old 03-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

using a tubescreamer like that tends to work better with tube amps. That's not to say it definitely won't work with your randall, at least to some extent, but don't buy it assuming it's gonna work, kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #20
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

Quote:
But anyways, I really like everything I've heard online rrom the Metal Zone. Perhaps my opinion of tone is skewed because of my years with spiders and pods, but I really like what I'm hearing in the aforementioned dimebagginess, which I like, obviously since I own a solid state Randall. Regardless of opinions on the metal zone this thread has gotten far away from my question. Will adding and overdrive pedal, such as a tube screamer, and raising the volume of the OD pedal increase my overall volume, warmth and saturation when I turn it on, strictly for soloing purposes

It depends. Of course, in front on a nice tube amplifier, increasing the volume and overdrive with a pedal almost always sounds good.
However, in my experience, overdrive pedal mixed with another distortion pedal or overdrive from your solid state amplifier pretty much ruins your sound (you get too much unnatural overtones a.k.a. buzzing and hissing).

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: