Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
randywolf244
resident arrogant
 
randywolf244's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: sorry i wasnt listening
I want to sound like sex bob-omb

If you've seen the Scott pilgrim movie you know what I'm talking about its like this really dirty sound almost like the speaker is ripped up.
randywolf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
greeny23
Mechromancer
 
greeny23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
take a knife to your speaker.
__________________

Cheap Stuff!


Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock05
would a pedalboard make my rc20xl loop station sound better? the playback on this thing sucks with batteries and the power supply.
greeny23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y
 
311ZOSOVHJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny23
take a knife to your speaker.

that
__________________
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
Battery Chicken
Viva la Revolucion!
 
Battery Chicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Australia
Try out a Vox AC15/30 or an Orange, and really crank them up. You want to hit that spot where crunch starts to turn to mud.
Battery Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
randywolf244
resident arrogant
 
randywolf244's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: sorry i wasnt listening
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny23
take a knife to your speaker.

Own one amp. Don't feel the need to ruin it
randywolf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
jetwash69
Registered User
 
jetwash69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Get an electroacoustic, run it through a fuzz pedal into distorition pedal, and then into cranked tube electric guitar amp.

"...Truck, truck, truck!"

Edit: If you had gone with that RP355 I could have sent you the settings I use on my GNX4 patch that I use for Sex Bob-omb covers, but I have no idea how to do that on your new Boss pedal. You'd still have to wait a few weeks, because I'm about 900 miles away from my GNX4 right now.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggityswah
Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.

Last edited by jetwash69 : 03-13-2013 at 10:22 PM.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
greeny23
Mechromancer
 
greeny23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by randywolf244
Own one amp. Don't feel the need to ruin it


f you want that sound then you arent ruining it.
__________________

Cheap Stuff!


Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock05
would a pedalboard make my rc20xl loop station sound better? the playback on this thing sucks with batteries and the power supply.
greeny23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
randywolf244
resident arrogant
 
randywolf244's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: sorry i wasnt listening
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery Chicken
Try out a Vox AC15/30 or an Orange, and really crank them up. You want to hit that spot where crunch starts to turn to mud.

I actually just had some luck. I turned the gain all the way up and the over drive on, on the amp, then did the same thing on my mep, as well as my buddy's stompbox. So I now know that three levels of distortion make the sound, the only problem is its so noisy it literally spikes every time I remove my hand from the neck.
randywolf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
667
The Neighbor of the Beast
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Boston
Crank a bass through it.
667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
randywolf244
resident arrogant
 
randywolf244's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: sorry i wasnt listening
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny23
f you want that sound then you arent ruining it.

I want that sounds sometimes lol
randywolf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #11
jetwash69
Registered User
 
jetwash69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by randywolf244
I actually just had some luck. I turned the gain all the way up and the over drive on, on the amp, then did the same thing on my mep, as well as my buddy's stompbox. So I now know that three levels of distortion make the sound, the only problem is its so noisy it literally spikes every time I remove my hand from the neck.


Yeah, I wired the Strat I play those songs with to have 2 volumes so I can turn down the neck and use the 5-way as a kill between songs.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggityswah
Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #12
randywolf244
resident arrogant
 
randywolf244's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: sorry i wasnt listening
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
Yeah, I wired the Strat I play those songs with to have 2 volumes so I can turn down the neck and use the 5-way as a kill between songs.

I'm just using the volume pedal on my mep lol though I am trying to find a way to achieve it without the other pedal mostly because it isn't mine and partly because I feel like if I turn the volume up above 3 my speaker will shoot across the room like a rocket lol
randywolf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #13
supersac
Registered User
 
supersac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
get a cheap 1x12 cab and take a knife ot that speaker
__________________
a youtube link?
maybe you should click on it
http://www.youtube.com/user/supersac69


Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #14
jetwash69
Registered User
 
jetwash69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Can your MFX pedal do fuzz and distortion at the same time? Or maybe just fuzz and an amp model with the volume and the gain dimed on them?

BTW, I didn't wire the Strat like that to play Sex Bob-omb covers--I did that several years before I even saw the movie. I just like kill switches but wanted it stealth.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggityswah
Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.

Last edited by jetwash69 : 03-13-2013 at 10:42 PM.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #15
guitarist5477
Registered User
 
guitarist5477's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
I would say get an acoustic clean sound, the run some kind of fuzz pedal through with all knobs up to an obnoxious level
__________________
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
guitarist5477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:38 PM   #16
randywolf244
resident arrogant
 
randywolf244's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: sorry i wasnt listening
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
Can your MFX pedal do fuzz and distortion at the same time? Or maybe just fuzz and an amp model with the volume and the gain dimed on them?

BTW, I didn't wire the Strat like that to play Sex Bob-omb covers--I did that several years before I even saw the movie. I just like kill switches but wanted it stealth.


tbh i dont even know ive only had it about a day, its the boss me-70 ill check online but i did get a pretty close sound when i set the one on my amp to the ms drive (im using a zoom fire 15 modeling amp so i have tons of drives) and the mep to a fuzz with the gain on both dimed(i like that ive never heard it before)

and oh yeah i realize that lol, im actually not doing covers either, im just looking for a new sound for the band im in and i really dug theirs so i basically wanted that + my style + single coils lol
randywolf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #17
jetwash69
Registered User
 
jetwash69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by randywolf244
tbh i dont even know ive only had it about a day, its the boss me-70 ill check online but i did get a pretty close sound when i set the one on my amp to the ms drive (im using a zoom fire 15 modeling amp so i have tons of drives) and the mep to a fuzz with the gain on both dimed(i like that ive never heard it before)

and oh yeah i realize that lol, im actually not doing covers either, im just looking for a new sound for the band im in and i really dug theirs so i basically wanted that + my style + single coils lol


When I'm stuck with my SSS Strat, I often use the GNX4's SC=>HB mode. Don't know if your Boss MFX will do that or not.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggityswah
Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #18
randywolf244
resident arrogant
 
randywolf244's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: sorry i wasnt listening
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
When I'm stuck with my SSS Strat, I often use the GNX4's SC=>HB mode. Don't know if your Boss MFX will do that or not.


actually i kind of like the way the single coils sound with that level of distortion i have an hss setup and it actually sounds a lot less trashed when im using the hb lol. the sc's are whats giving it that really dirty sound. kind of like their telling me "what are you doing i cant handle this" while the humbucker is like "yeah whatever no problem "lol
randywolf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:52 PM   #19
jetwash69
Registered User
 
jetwash69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by randywolf244
actually i kind of like the way the single coils sound with that level of distortion i have an hss setup and it actually sounds a lot less trashed when im using the hb lol. the sc's are whats giving it that really dirty sound. kind of like their telling me "what are you doing i cant handle this" while the humbucker is like "yeah whatever no problem "lol

Whatever works.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggityswah
Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #20
emerald876
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ
From what I've heard from them, the Sunn Beta amps sound pretty gritty, I think a lot of stoner rock bands use them.
__________________
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - Stock Eminence Legend
Peavey Ultra Plus 120 Watt Head
Rivera R412T - Loaded with Celestion V30s
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
emerald876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:16 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.