Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
500days

Question Pedal problems

I'm having a problem I've never had before, it started very suddenly. I just got a new pedal and wanted to test it out with my board, but when I plug in, there's no sound. I've tried multiple cables. There's sound when I plug directly into the amp. I've gone down the line of pedals individually to make sure it wasn't just one of them throwing the rest off, but no sound is coming through any of them. They're hooked up to a power source and they turn on, so it's not that they're dead.
Any ideas?
500days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
Archer250

Maybe you plugged it in the wrong way? Or maybe there's no battery.
Maxon SM9 Pro+
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power ISO5
Dunlop Tortex Picks .88 and 1.00mm
Planet Waves Lock Strap
Archer250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
500days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer250
Maybe you plugged it in the wrong way? Or maybe there's no battery.

No, everything's plugged in right. And like I said, I have the power source and they're all turning on. So it's not that they're dead.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
gerraguitar

what pedal is it? Some pedals have multiple inputs on them, make sure you're plugging everything into the right ones
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
gerraguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
500days

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraguitar
what pedal is it? Some pedals have multiple inputs on them, make sure you're plugging everything into the right ones

I've tried on my three pedals. My boss tuner, where I tried both bypass and output and also still pickups a signal because I can tune with it, and then I tried my boss overdrive and my ibanez ts-9 where there are only the inputs and outputs.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
gerraguitar

you got me then....new batteries/power supply, only one spot for the cables, tried multiple cables...uhhhh.....the guitar is plugged in? the amp is on and the pedals are plugged in right? volume on the amp/gtr is up....not trying to be a dick but there's not much left to check
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
gerraguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
zl1288

Well since you only encountered this problem after adding the new pedal to the board, have you tried that pedal straight into the amp? Could be that it's busted or you are using the wrong power supply for it. It would help to know what pedals are on your board, and exactly how you are powering them (multiple power supplies? Daisy chain? Iso power supply?)
zl1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
500days

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1288
Well since you only encountered this problem after adding the new pedal to the board, have you tried that pedal straight into the amp? Could be that it's busted or you are using the wrong power supply for it. It would help to know what pedals are on your board, and exactly how you are powering them (multiple power supplies? Daisy chain? Iso power supply?)

I know it's not that one pedal because I've tried each pedal individually, disconnected from the others. And I know it's the pedals because when I plug directly into the amp everything is fine. My pedals are Boss TU-3, Boss ODB-3, and the new one is the Ibanez TS-9. And I've tried both with a chain power supply and battery powered and they turn on fine.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
zl1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500days
I know it's not that one pedal because I've tried each pedal individually, disconnected from the others. And I know it's the pedals because when I plug directly into the amp everything is fine. My pedals are Boss TU-3, Boss ODB-3, and the new one is the Ibanez TS-9. And I've tried both with a chain power supply and battery powered and they turn on fine.

Alright, so if you verified that all the pedals work individually, then it's not an issue with your pedals. I know you said you tried multiple cables, but try checking again. This really sounds like it's probably just a busted cable, so plug each of your cables directly into your amp and see if they work.
zl1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
500days

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1288
Alright, so if you verified that all the pedals work individually, then it's not an issue with your pedals. I know you said you tried multiple cables, but try checking again. This really sounds like it's probably just a busted cable, so plug each of your cables directly into your amp and see if they work.

Yeah, I tried that and still nothing. And just to make sure everything's clear; they all turn on and work in that sense, but even individually there's still no sound when plugged in to the pedals.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
500days

Fiddle with it a bunch and got it working. Thanks everybody.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
Johnniez

So enlighten us as to what it was..
Johnniez is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: