Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
danielbang

Ordering Amp From Across the Ocean?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this

http://www.thomann.de/intl/jet_city...guitar_head.htm

I live in the US but I saw this new Jet City head new on Thomann for 210 eur (which comes close to 310$ USD with shipping (according to Google)

Would it be a smart idea to order this from overseas if I was to buy this head new? It costs less if I bought it new in the US (I know its not by much, but I'm low on money (high school student). Would the voltage or something of that sort be different since it is from another country? Sorry I'm not very educated in this kind of stuff
Pardon my overusage of parenthesis
danielbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
zl1288

Not sure if Thomann even ships to the US. Even if they did, after shipping costs and taxes it would probably end up being cheaper just buying it from a US retailer.
zl1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
GABarrie
Call me Gordon

It will also come set up for 230V, my JCA50 has a voltage switch, but I'm not sure if the smaller ones do. And you will have to pay import taxes/duty as stated as will probably not end up being cheaper.

Also, they charge your bank in euros, and your bank will add on a fee for currency transaction of up to about 5% so you need to add 5% onto any price you see on Thomann unless you have a Euro currency bank account
Archer "Dry Ice" Overdrive
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy

Last edited by GABarrie : 03-14-2013 at 01:04 PM.
GABarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ agreed.

though if thomann does ship to the USA, you can probably remove VAT from those prices- I doubt very much if USA import taxes are any more than VAT (though don't quote me on that, obviously).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
danielbang

Aww darn that sucks. I was planning to order a Harley Benton G212 (with V30s) and it came out to about 260$. How much do you guys think it will cost after the taxes and fees and whatnot?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

The website tells you the shipping fee on the front page.

USUALLY you can just do a mock purchase. Put everything into your cart as if you were buying it, and it will calculate all of the costs for you and give you and idea as to how much you'll be paying. Not sure if thomann does that though

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Charvel1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
LaidBack
Call me Mike

Dude, buy this used from Guitar Center. Pretty sure most orders over $100 are free shipping.

GUITAR AMP
USED JET CITY 20 HEAD

Details
Amps
Guitar Center Gwinnett
Lawrenceville, Georgia 30044
678-380-6730
View Store's Used Inventory
Contact Store
Now Only
$199.99
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
danielbang

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBack
Dude, buy this used from Guitar Center. Pretty sure most orders over $100 are free shipping.

GUITAR AMP
USED JET CITY 20 HEAD

Details
Amps
Guitar Center Gwinnett
Lawrenceville, Georgia 30044
678-380-6730
View Store's Used Inventory
Contact Store
Now Only
$199.99

Thanks for the suggestion dude, I check GC's used section almost every other day. I'm not looking to buy an amp right this moment, I'm still waiting until I can order a cab. GC has surprisingly good deals on their used section
Old 03-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
danielbang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charvel1995
The website tells you the shipping fee on the front page.

USUALLY you can just do a mock purchase. Put everything into your cart as if you were buying it, and it will calculate all of the costs for you and give you and idea as to how much you'll be paying. Not sure if thomann does that though

Yea I did that and then converted the EUR to USD using Google, which I'm not so sure is accurate, but I was told there are other fees and things that I have to count because of the different currency and stuff. Shipping fees from Thomann to the US is about 30eur
Old 03-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #10
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

There will be additional import charges. The US doesn't have to pay VAT but it does have its own fair share of import fees and customs handling.

Bear in mind too that you'll need to get various power adapters and such. Allmost all the amps Thomann sell come with the continental EU 2-pin plug.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #11
danielbang

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
There will be additional import charges. The US doesn't have to pay VAT but it does have its own fair share of import fees and customs handling.

Bear in mind too that you'll need to get various power adapters and such. Allmost all the amps Thomann sell come with the continental EU 2-pin plug.

Ok so I'm just going to forget about ordering an amp head overseas and look used over here But I might look at buying a cab from Thomann, I'm pretty sure cabs are not powered like a head so I should be good, right?
Old 03-16-2013, 03:15 AM   #12
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Yup, cabs are fine.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #13
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbang
Ok so I'm just going to forget about ordering an amp head overseas and look used over here But I might look at buying a cab from Thomann, I'm pretty sure cabs are not powered like a head so I should be good, right?

If you want a good cheap cab, look at www.avatarspeakers.com. You will end up paying much mor when you order from another country.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
zl1288

Quote:

You seem so set on ordering from overseas, I don't get it Its most likely going to be more expensive ordering something from thomann vs a US retailer. Why not just look for a used cab as well?
zl1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #15
The Neighbor of the Beast

Ordering this stuff from overseas would be ridiculous. Shipping charges will kill you. And imagine if you had to send it back. No way, slap ur self out of these thoughts.

If you order used from Guitar Center, don't ship it to your house, buy it from a local GC and have them do a store transfer. You will save any shipping charges - and you won't have to worry about shipping if you return it.

Last edited by 667 : 03-16-2013 at 09:38 AM.
667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #16
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble

The 2-pin plug isn't a big deal; the fact that US voltage is 110 V and EU is 230 V is. You might get lucky and find it has a voltage switch on the back, but more likely you will end up having to get it converted or you will have to buy a transformer, which will almost certainly cost more than the money you could have saved by getting it from Thomann.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."

Last edited by eddiehimself : 03-16-2013 at 09:34 AM.
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #17
danielbang

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1288
You seem so set on ordering from overseas, I don't get it Its most likely going to be more expensive ordering something from thomann vs a US retailer. Why not just look for a used cab as well?

I'm in high school and I don't make much money but the price for the Harley Benton cab with V30s was just ideal for me, but I didn't know much about extra costs. I guess since I know its better to not order overseas, I will be looking for a used cab on CL, GC, and eBay and all that good stuff.

Thanks for your help guys I will be looking for a nice used cab with V30s or maybe a Marshall 1960a used And maybe if I wait a bit longer I can buy a custom cab from Avatar or Whitebox
Old 03-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #18
Robbgnarly

Quote:
I'm in high school and I don't make much money but the price for the Harley Benton cab with V30s was just ideal for me, but I didn't know much about extra costs. I guess since I know its better to not order overseas, I will be looking for a used cab on CL, GC, and eBay and all that good stuff.

Thanks for your help guys I will be looking for a nice used cab with V30s or maybe a Marshall 1960a used And maybe if I wait a bit longer I can buy a custom cab from Avatar or Whitebox

You can get Marshall 1960 for $300 or less from GC used site. You can also get Line 6 SV 4x12 cabs for <$400 and they are loaded with V30's. Hell I have seen Mesa 4x12's for $400 all the time on there also
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #19
danielbang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
You can get Marshall 1960 for $300 or less from GC used site. You can also get Line 6 SV 4x12 cabs for <$400 and they are loaded with V30's. Hell I have seen Mesa 4x12's for $400 all the time on there also

Yea I have been keeping an eye open for a 1960a cab. I would like a Line 6 with v30s, but most of the cabs listed on GC don't have the model names on them. There a lot of good cabs that go for 400, but I think I will wait and try to find something that drops below 400. I've been checking eBay too, but the shipping prices for cabs are insane.

I would honestly prefer a 2x12 but they are harder to find used, but I can suck it up and carry around a 4x12

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it

Rate This Thread: