Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
o fenomeno

Playing Scales and playing them in Key? [Beginner]

So ive seen videos helping you on scales..I've been working on on them..I've been playing up and down the neck in different keys..or atleast I though I was.

For instance Pattern 1 and 4 in the Key of A..root is on the Fifth fret- low E. 1and 4 are easiest for me to remember, so I play those for awhile until I can go through them easily. But yet on charts for A Maj Pent... The pattern 1 or 4 don't apply at the Fifth fret.

Im confused here.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

I am very confused as to what exactly you're asking but I'll try and help anyway...

A major contains the notes A B C# D E F#and G#. Finding those notes on the fretboard much more important, in theory terms, than patterns. The patterns help with your physical facility on the instrument but the notes are where the scales come from.

A major pentatonic is actually a subset of those notes: A B C# E F#. It's the major scale with the most harmonically unstable notes taken out so it's less 'risky' to solo with. I can think of at least two shapes off the top of my head with a root at the 5th fret of the A string... how those fit in to these numbered patterns you've found I have no idea and it really doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
spdonalds311

The only thing I can think of is that you might be getting your major and minor scales mixed up. The first scale I learned was the E minor Pentatonic but I was just told it was the Pentatonic scale. Then I learned that position 2 of the E minor Pentatonic is also position 1 for the G major Pentatonic.

I'm not sure if that helps at all.
spdonalds311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
ha_asgag

If you're a complete beginner the best advice I could give to you is to start learning the arrangement of notes on the fretboard IN STANDARD TUNING beforehand. I wouldn't recommend focusing on other guitar tunings (at least not yet - although you could do this later) to avoid confusion.

EXERCISE 1:

Locate all the C's on the fretboard:

Play all the C's on the 6th string.
Play all the C's on the 5th string.
Play all the C's on the 4th string.
Play all the C's on the 3rd string.
Play all the C's on the 2nd string.
Play all the C's on the 1st string.
Reverse the direction.

Once you're comfortable with the first step and can visualize the locations and play the above exercise at a constant pace without hesitating repeat the exercise for all the other notes individually in this sequence: D, E, F, G, A, B, F#, C#, Bb, Eb, Ab.

================================================== ============

EXERCISE 2:

Once you're "ready", try doing one string scale exercises:

Play following groups of notes consecutively per string. (The arrangement may vary depending on the string and the range of your instrument.)

Key of C Major = C-D-E-F-G-A-B

================================================== ==============

Once the Key of C becomes vivid after maybe after a week or so try learning a new key:

Key of G Major = G-A-B-C-D-E-F#
Key of D Major = D-E-F#-G-A-B-C#
Key of A Major = A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#
Key of E Major = E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D#
Key of B Major = B-C#-D#-E-F#-G#-A#

Key of F = F-G-A-Bb-C-D-E
Key of Bb = Bb-C-D-Eb-F-G-A
Key of Eb = Eb-F-G-Ab-Bb-C-D
Key of Ab = Ab-Bb-C-Db-Eb-F-G
Key of Db = Db-Eb-F-G-Ab-Bb-C

Key of F# Major = F#-G#-A#-B-C#-D#-E#

- Listen carefully, take it easy, always go at your own pace and don't overdo it.
- The above exercise could be done to familiarize yourself with pentatonics along with other scales and arpeggios as well.
- Learn lots of tunes in addition to this.

Last edited by ha_asgag : 03-16-2013 at 11:28 PM.
ha_asgag is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: