Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
gunsnroses#1
Banned

Violins

Thought this would be the best forum since there isn't a violin section in the Instruments forum and it seems that most people who frequent this forum enjoy classical music.

I really want to buy a violin. I was at a friends house a while back and just did a G arpeggio after he told me the tuning and I instantly wanted one, but I have no idea what brand, features, etc. to look for. I don't need a Stradivarius or anything, but I also don't want some cheap piece of wood with a few strings attached. Judging by the music stores I've been to, most violins that they carry that aren't $500+ are right at $100. As I said, however, I'm skeptical about buying this cheap. Thoughts?
gunsnroses#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
gerraguitar

uhhhh....well, here's what i've always thought about string instruments.

They are some of the finest instruments ever made, and if you are looking at becoming a violin player then that means you are sinking a lot of hours and practicing into this instrument, it's not something you just kinda pick up one day and be like...."yup, time for some violin"

you say you don't wanna buy a cheap one, theres so such thing as a cheap violin (at least one that is worth owning) but in this case, you just want one to dick around with? If thats the case then a cheapo $100 violin is exactly what I would get. You're no Hilary Hahn, so there's no need to sink so much into it..
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
gerraguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
gunsnroses#1
Banned

I would like to put a fair amount of time into learning it. It's not going to be something that I play for a week and then collects dust in my closet. That being said, I don't expect to be a prodigy and start playing professionally. So some kind of middle ground violin would suit me, I think.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!

$100 is a massive massive gamble. Yitamusic (used to sell on ebay but I believe has stopped) is one of the few cheapo chinese violins that I fully trust. It would cost about $200-300 to get one of their models.

Even if you get one of theirs, you'll want to replace the strings right away as they make a much bigger difference on violin than guitar. Get some D'addario Helicores or something as they are affordable and do not sound terrible. Violin strings can cost more than $100 a set, if you wanted to spend that much.

Last edited by Vlasco : 03-14-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Vlasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
dorablesings

I've got a Cremona SV75, absolute beginner violin, but it's not bad sounding. Other than the fact that I'm not good at it (yet) so it does get that "beginner violinist" squeal that we all know and love.

As was said strings make a big difference in the sound, but honestly the bow is probably the first thing people upgrade.
dorablesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
gunsnroses#1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlasco
$100 is a massive massive gamble. Yitamusic (used to sell on ebay but I believe has stopped) is one of the few cheapo chinese violins that I fully trust. It would cost about $200-300 to get one of their models.

Even if you get one of theirs, you'll want to replace the strings right away as they make a much bigger difference on violin than guitar. Get some D'addario Helicores or something as they are affordable and do not sound terrible. Violin strings can cost more than $100 a set, if you wanted to spend that much.

Holy damn! How long do the string usually last though? I have to restring my guitar about every month.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!

A couple months if you put it off for a while. They do not snap as often because you won't be bending them, but they do go false from the abuse of a bow.

The helicores are $20-30 so if they last 4-5 months then it's about the same price as guitar strings. If you get serious you might be spending 70-80 each month or every other month for a set of Larsens. It will be a while before you make that choice, however.

Also important is the hairs on the bow, it will cost you about $40 for a basic bow rehair every 4-5 months.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorablesings
As was said strings make a big difference in the sound, but honestly the bow is probably the first thing people upgrade.

Usually it's the strings upgrade first as it is immediate and cheap. Upgrading a bow is rather expensive, but should be done as soon as possible so that no bad habits are formed as a result of having to force a shoddy bow to respond.

Getting a $300-400 codabow carbon fibre bow will set most people straight for years.

Rate This Thread: