User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #21
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Yup, they're one of the few small UK companies that can be bought in almost any country. I hope they do well.

I'm gunning for Black Magic Woman myself. I'm thinkin' it will make a nice change from the usual black Strat look.

I'll also try Black Magic Woman on a Pine 212 cab, with Polycrylic clearcoat.

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #22
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Warthog in the bridge and I forget what for the neck, Runaway, I think. The most standard A5 ones. Nice pickups, but when I chose they they were going in an LP and since that guitar is gone they've been sat here doing nowt. Might as well use the nice bobbins.

thanks. I figured it might have been a warthog when you said it was thick- I like mine, but yeah it's (like most pickups) aimed at a specific thing and if that's not the thing you want... as you said, you might as well reuse the bobbins.

and yeah i was surprised at how nicely those bobbins matched your guitar. Now... admittedly when I bought my swinesheads my main concern was keeping them cheap so the wooden bobbins were never really a realistic option, but I always figured I preferred plastic anyway. But seeing them in a guitar which they really suit... they look really awesome. Sometimes you can't judge how something looks until you see it installed in the finished product.

Haven't tried the runaway, I've got the condor. It's very nice indeed. it's a shame they shut.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #23
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

As someone who loves non-traditional looking guitars, Swineshead were my favourite pickup company when they had all their options available and they were what, <£50 a pickup? I remember towards their last months they cut most of their options out and prices went up to over £90 a pickup. I've got these two (totally changed now, of course), their AMP humbucker (Stag Mag copy) and one of their Tele pickups. All really nice, though very much one-trick-ponies.

There's some random Korean(?) company, GuitarHeads, that make pickups with wood tops on a regular plastic bobbin. They do double maple, double rosewood or walnut & maple zebra. The specs are nothing to get excited about and I'm sure they sound no better than any stock pickup you'd get in an Epi or Schecter or whatever, but the do seem to be the only cheap source of wood bobbins now. Very tempted to buy a few sets, see how they go and probably rewind them. There some guy in America that makes pickups with 100% wood bobbins and claims they sound unique and whatever, but charges a couple of hundred for each one. It's a shame that it's not a common option, it's a cool look.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #24
randywolf244
resident arrogant

dude that thing is awesome!!!!. if you ever want to sell it you know where to find me lol
randywolf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #25
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

This guy might be able to do wooden-topped pickups:
http://vintagevibeguitars.com/index.html

And this guy definitely can:
http://reedjamescustom.com/index.html

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 03-17-2013 at 07:30 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #26
MrFlibble

Second dude is the one I've seen before. $300 a set, yeesh.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #27
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
(a)As someone who loves non-traditional looking guitars, Swineshead were my favourite pickup company when they had all their options available and they were what, <£50 a pickup? I remember towards their last months they cut most of their options out and prices went up to over £90 a pickup. I've got these two (totally changed now, of course), their AMP humbucker (Stag Mag copy) and one of their Tele pickups. All really nice, though very much one-trick-ponies.

(b) There's some random Korean(?) company, GuitarHeads, that make pickups with wood tops on a regular plastic bobbin. They do double maple, double rosewood or walnut & maple zebra. The specs are nothing to get excited about and I'm sure they sound no better than any stock pickup you'd get in an Epi or Schecter or whatever, but the do seem to be the only cheap source of wood bobbins now. Very tempted to buy a few sets, see how they go and probably rewind them. There some guy in America that makes pickups with 100% wood bobbins and claims they sound unique and whatever, but charges a couple of hundred for each one. It's a shame that it's not a common option, it's a cool look.

(a) yeah i remember when those prices went way up, i remember thinking the writing was on the wall IIRC I got my humbuckers for £40 each and the single coil for £30. Which is pretty good.

(b) yeah i mean if you're capable of rewinding them the way you are, that might be the way to go.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #28
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Sick dude! Why a ceramic magnet over an alnico 8?
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #29
MrFlibble

Because I only had one A8 magnet

My partsbuilds are mostly made with bits I salvage. Had one A8 and one ceramic, so in they went. Also because hey, who else has an A8 mag in their neck pickup? Figured it'd be interesting to try. I've got enough A5s, 4s, 3s and 2s around so if it ended up sucking then I would have put the A8 in the bridge and given the neck an A4, probably. As it is, the A8 in the neck sounds bang-on right. As for the bridge, well, I'm happy with anything that is fairly bright. Ceramic certainly does that.

But then, I am pretty backwards. As much as I appreciate what works well for most people, when it comes to my own gear I've got active pickups for blues, single coils in semi-hollows for grunge, PAFs for gothic metal, a drop-tuned 7-string for pop and a solid state, digital modelling half stack! An extra-strength alnico 8 in the neck and a cheap ceramic in the pickup I use most? Sure, sod it. I run an octave generator into a talkbox, it's not like my tone can get much worse!

Do as I say, not as I do...
Old 03-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #30
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Also because hey, who else has an A8 mag in their neck pickup?

I am curious about your results because I've always heard that the magnet pull of an A8 in the neck saps sustain. I don't know if it's true or not, I have always just figured that it makes sense and stuck with A5s for the neck. Do you notice any sustain issues?

Ibanez does make a guitar with 2 A8 pickups. I've been drooling over it since it came out, but haven't had the good fortune to try one. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...electric-guitar
Old 03-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #31
MrFlibble

Aww damn, I ain't a unique snowflake then.

Not noticed any sustain problems. Actually, I've got the neck pickup cranked much closer to the strings than I thought I'd need and I'm routinely surprised by the sustain this thing has. It's about on par with my hefty thick rosewood-neck Tele, better than my LP Special and just a hair worse than my chambered LPs.

Magnet pull definitely can murder your sustain and even pull you out of tune—I've had that happen a few times before—but you've got to have the magnet really high up to do that (my humbucker with 12 single coil magnet pole pieces is a nightmare for that). This may be an A8 but it's still at the bottom of the pickup. There's got to be at least an inch between the top of the magnet and the bottom of the strings, probably more. Maybe I've got it at just the right distance or maybe this magnet isn't quite as powerful as some A8s out there, but it works fine whatever.

Some morons put Invaders at the neck with those triple ceramic mags and oversized hex poles. Sounds crap, I'm sure, but they work and those have got to have a stronger field than a basic A8.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #32
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Thanks for the info, I might have to consider trying an A8 in the neck then. Might be just what I need for my Ibby with the boring F4 in the neck.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #33
NegativeRespons
[humour] ... [/humour]

This is awesome. I'm looking at building my first guitar and I've been flipping between a Tele and a Jazzmaster shape about every hour. I think this has just convinced me to go JM. I'm only up the road from you in Bristol as well! Shame you're not building to sell :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatadrag
necrophiliac
NegativeRespons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:08 AM   #34
MrFlibble

To sell things they need to meet a certain consistency which my random parts builds don't. Fingers crossed some things come together in the next year.

As for body style, go Jazzmaster. It's much more comfortable and the Strat neck pocket is more common, so if you end up tearing it apart you can more easily reuse everything.

Or you could split the difference...

Rate This Thread: