Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
RebuildIt

Octave down

I posted a question in the Gear & Acc forum, but 1) I don't really like the answers, and 2) I think I asked the wrong question. That post is http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1592839 (Is it ok to post links across forum lines? Am I stepping on toes or starting a turf war?)

I want an octave effect because I want to do this mod: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1590300 or http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1328396

All the canned choices are far more complicated than I need. I want single octave down. I dont want choices. Also, I read tukk04's post more carefully, and he says poly is not as good! So my specs changed again, not polyphonic.

Does anyone have designs for a simple octave down circuit. By simple I mean single function, no adjustments. (realize there might be some adjustable components to dial it into a working configuration, but I dont need to adjust it once it is working) I do want it to be a reasonably clean sound, not all fuzzed up.
RebuildIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Kyleisthename

So why do you want to get an octave pedal?

I'm confused, because the guitar mods you showed have bass strings that are already low.
Why put the pedal in the guitar when the bass part has a separate output?

The Youtubes

Last edited by Kyleisthename : 03-15-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Kyleisthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleisthename
So why do you want to get an octave pedal?

I'm confused, because the guitar mods you showed have bass string that are already low.

No they don't.

I'm not entirely sure why you want to limit your options so much. Is it because you want to save money? Because believe me, you're not going to save money by building your own, it just doesn't work like that.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
Kyleisthename

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
No they don't.

I'm not entirely sure why you want to limit your options so much. Is it because you want to save money? Because believe me, you're not going to save money by building your own, it just doesn't work like that.

Well either way it doesn't make sense to put the pedal into the guitar.

The Youtubes
Kyleisthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
ohaple

Maybe its just me, but there is something cool about onboard effects..
ohaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
TJHague

That's something you aren't going to get a 'simple' circuit for. It's a reasonably complex task. I had done some looking into it several years ago because I wanted the same thing. To my knowledge there is no good way to do it with an analog circuit.

The simple way would require a simple microprocessor with an ADC input and DAC output and some programming knowledge. You would have to program it to do a Fast Fourier Transform and then halve all frequencies before outputting. While you can find algorithms to do that fairly easily, this is by no means a simple task; you would be better off just purchasing the pedal that is closest to your desires.

edit: Most microprocessors you will easily find are not really designed for audio purposes. You would have to do some searching and possibly pay a decent chunk of money to get the ADC and DAC to have a bit resolution high enough to preserve all of the harmonics your guitar produces.

Last edited by TJHague : 03-15-2013 at 06:45 PM.
TJHague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
RebuildIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaple
Maybe its just me, but there is something cool about onboard effects..

That is probably the #1 reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHague
That's something you aren't going to get a 'simple' circuit for. It's a reasonably complex task. I had done some looking into it several years ago because I wanted the same thing. To my knowledge there is no good way to do it with an analog circuit.

The simple way would require a simple microprocessor with an ADC input and DAC output and some programming knowledge.

Thanks TJ. I have considerably more than some programming knowledge, so programming isnt a a show stopper. However, I also realize that it will most likely be a whole new development platform, so a ton of learning before getting anything out of it. I am lazy, so if its going to be both not cheap and not easy, the chance of me finishing it this decade is pretty slim. I think I'll do the mod without the effect and see how it sounds just plugged into a bass amp.
RebuildIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
LeviMan_2001

Digital isn't the way to go in this case I don't think. Check out the danelectro chili dog octave. It does one octave down and two octaves down. But it's pretty dirty, not great below say A.

Rate This Thread: