Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-15-2013, 03:45 AM   #1
innovine

ec-1000, mod seymour duncan 59?

Hi,
I have the vintage black ec-1000 with the seymour duncan jb/59 pickups. I am curious about the clean tones, would it be possible to mod the '59 in the neck position to work as a single coil? Can you give me a suggestion on how hard this might be to do, and if its worth trying (maybe it sounds crap..?)
innovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Probably can't be done. Usually the pickups that come stock only have 2-conductor wiring and to split a humbucker you need 4-conductor wire. You could open the pickup itself up and cut out one of the coils, but this will obviously look a bit odd and be much harder to undo.

But it won't sound good, anyway. A split humbucker basically just sounds like a weak P-90 or like one of the cheap single coils you get in the very worst Strat and Tele copies. To get the sort of single coil tone that most people want you need a pickup with separate magnetic pole pieces, not a bar magnet like humbuckers have.

If you just want a slightly brighter tone out of the neck position, try disconnecting one or more of the control pots from it. You should also try lowering the pickup, as the further from the strings the pickup is the clearer and brighter the pickup will sound; you also get a bit more sustain.
If you want a much brighter tone, you could start taking the '59 apart but then if you screw that up you're down a pickup. It would be better to simply plan on buying a new pickup to replace it. Then you can mod the '59 and if you do get something wrong then it's okay because you were banking on buying a new pickup anyway. A Seymour Duncan Jazz gives you a similar tone to the '59 but brighter; an SD Phat Cat gives you a P-90 tone in a humbucker size; a DiMarzio Humbucker From Hell will give you a very bright and thin tone; a Seymour Duncan Stag Mag, wire with the coils parallel, will give you a 'true' single coil tone; or you could simply buy another '59—a 4-conductor one—and a push-pull switch and wire up a split switch.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:25 AM   #3
innovine

I am looking at the following list: http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/pickups_sdhumsh1.htm and mine is probably one of the gold ones at the bottom. All of those listed are 4-conductor types... I dont know exactly which one Ihave but it looks just like those gold ones.

Thanks for the quick response, and the suggestions for the pickups. I'm clueless in this regard. I am simply curious about getting a brighter, more chimy sound. My friend has a strat with single coils (I dont know offhand which brand), and I would like to take a step in that direction for my clean tones. However, I still quite like the '59 with a bit of drive on it, so being able to toggle a coil on and off struck me as a possibility..

If the 59 I have is indeed a 4-conductor type, do you think it's worth getting in there and cutting some wires to see how it sounds? If it's gonna sound bad I'd prefer not to But if it would give a good clean single coil sound then I might try it
innovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:43 AM   #4
Preacher403

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovine
If the 59 I have is indeed a 4-conductor type, do you think it's worth getting in there and cutting some wires to see how it sounds? If it's gonna sound bad I'd prefer not to But if it would give a good clean single coil sound then I might try it

If it's already 4 conductor then you just need to get a push-pull pot and do some soldering. Look up a wiring diagram on the internet and it's really not very hard. Not a lot lost at that point and you can decide for yourself if it sounds OK.

If it's a 2 conductor type then I wouldn't bother messing with it. More work than it's probably worth.
Preacher403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:18 AM   #5
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

The pickups sold separately are almost always 4-conductor, but the ones that come already installed in guitars are usually 2-conductor. The '59 is frequently made both ways so the only way you can know which version you have is to open up the guitar; it wll most likely be 2-conductor, though.

If it's 4-conductor, just get a push-pull and split it. It won't sound like a Fender single coil but if a brighter tone and less output are what you're after then it may be good enough for you.

If it's 2-conductor you can either hack up the pickup itself to cut one coil out permanently or you can buy a new pickup which does have 4-conductor wiring, or simply has a brighter tone to begin with.

Rate This Thread: