Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Pre1321

What product or service do you think is missing from the guitar industry?

Something that sucks but could be a lot better?

Interested to hear your thoughts.
Pre1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I'm waiting for a truly flexible hybrid modeler, then I'll probably have something close to a perfect amp for me. The Vypyr Tube is the closest around, but it's not nearly flexible enough. Something like a POD HD500, with a good tube poweramp like the Vypyr Tube has. Something that incorporates some tubes in the preamp as well like the Spider Valve, but has the flexibility I want (not to mention *good* tone*. )

I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Hopefully.

*Disclaimer: IMO

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Flux'D
Plays a pitchfork

A program that guarantees groupies after every gig. Hot groupies.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60
Flux'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
...Something like a POD HD500, with a good tube poweramp like the Vypyr Tube has. Something that incorporates some tubes in the preamp as well like the Spider Valve, but has the flexibility I want (not to mention *good* tone*. )

I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Hopefully.

*Disclaimer: IMO

Isn't the Spidervalve MkII basically HD300/500ish guts thru a Bogner designed/Chinese built power amp?

Add the pedal controller to get more flexibility and control like you'd have with the HD floor pedals.

I wasn't impressed with the first generation Spidervalves at all, but I never used one with a pedal or tweaked the presets much. And I haven't tried a MkII yet.

I'm happy enough w/my GNX4 thru a PA or thru an all-tube Marshall halfstack that I can't really justify spending more on incremental improvements at this time.

-----------------

On topic: wish Digitech would come out with a current generation MFX with all the GNX4 features, but none of the bugs.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

Industrial strength strings that don't break

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

A multi-effects unit with some sort of built in talent booster.
Effects - TS9, MXR 10 Band EQ, Carbon Copy Delay
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
lbj273
UG God

soundboard operators that know what they are doing
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}

lbj273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Pretty sure the SVs use older modeling than the HD.

I've tried a MkII, pretty sure (or I hope) it wasn't HD models.

People are saying they're good when you actually spend time to tweak them. To be completely fair I really need to sit down with one for a while to reevaluate my opinion, but also, IMO the stock patches should not sound that shitty when that's what's going to sell the amp. Seriously the stock patches sound like a pile of digital shit compared to the Vypyr Tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbj273

+1

99% of the shows I go to, these guys seem like total assclowns how only care about mixing EDM or pop music or something.

Yeah, I totally want to only hear the vocals and drums, and never hear anything from any of the strings.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 03-15-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo Bum
A multi-effects unit with some sort of built in talent booster.

I always just ask the sound guy for "more talent in the monitors"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbj273

Oh, that's why it never works.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
jetwash69

Quote:
Pretty sure the SVs use older modeling than the HD.

I've tried a MkII, pretty sure (or I hope) it wasn't HD models.

People are saying they're good when you actually spend time to tweak them. To be completely fair I really need to sit down with one for a while to reevaluate my opinion, but also, IMO the stock patches should not sound that shitty when that's what's going to sell the amp. Seriously the stock patches sound like a pile of digital shit compared to the Vypyr Tube.

The other big problem with the SV stock patches is there's so much varience in the volume between patches. I hear they didn't fix that in the MkII.

That's the biggest reason I haven't even tried a MkII, even though I've come across several. I got my fill of dirty looks from customers and employees after blasting their ears with the older one.

Also, IMHO, you're better off with tubes in the pre-amp than the power section. Sometimes I play my Marshall head thru the speaker emulated line out with power section on standby, and it sounds almost as good thru a PA as going thru the power section into a cab. It'd be crazy to try to get my overdrive/distortion with the power amp, way too much headroom in those 100watts.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
gumbilicious
beginner

the guitar equipment industry has almost become a service based industry. the illusion of versatility and convenience seems to be their biggest seller right now.

2 to 4 channel amps with 7 switches on the front seem to be the norm. there is a good amp underneath all those switches, but the switches are mainly gimmicks.

industry is offering everything from customizable factory products, to recreations of vintage products to customizable boutique versions of popular models. it is hard to find little niches that aren't catered to, and even they get filled in eventually.

i feel the guitar equipment industry is becoming weighed down in the BS salesman jargon and quasi-tech talk resulting is gear that is more show and 'desirable' features than substance.

really how many versions of a strat do you need in the market? does a jvm need all those channels (especially the ones that just sound straight horrible)? which tubescreamer do you want, you have 1,284 to choose from when you consider all the clones and variations from other companies. there is a glut of choice out there imo.

chances are if you come up with some 'new' service or product you will find someone else out there already doing it or selling it in some form.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #12
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69

The other big problem with the SV stock patches is there's so much varience in the volume between patches. I hear they didn't fix that in the MkII.

That's the biggest reason I haven't even tried a MkII, even though I've come across several. I got my fill of dirty looks from customers and employees after blasting their ears with the older one.

Also, IMHO, you're better off with tubes in the pre-amp than the power section. Sometimes I play my Marshall head thru the speaker emulated line out with power section on standby, and it sounds almost as good thru a PA as going thru the power section into a cab. It'd be crazy to try to get my overdrive/distortion with the power amp, way too much headroom in those 100watts.

It's okay if you're going through the PA, but in my experience having a tube poweramp is the most important part of cutting through - we've all heard stories about how the big 300W SS amps get drowned out by a 50W tube amp. And I always aim for what will sound good on it's own - I don't like to ever rely on the PA. It's awesome if it's there, but I base my needs around "will I sound good at a piece of shit backyard/garage gig?". If you're good there, you'll be good anywhere, is my philosophy.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 03-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #13
nitarsh

Well.. technology has come this far.. but are yet to have an affordable trem bridge system that can stay in tune for months and can retune automatically. The guitar's sustain and tone should be close to a fixed bridge's.
nitarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #14
supersac

more lefty guitars or left handed parts that arent more expensive

also stainless steelfrets should be a standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #15
jetwash69

Quote:
...we've all heard stories about how the big 300W SS amps get drowned out by a 50W tube amp...

Maybe not all of us...

The only 300W all SS amps I'm familiar with are bass amps. Now the Marshall Mode IV has 300Wish SS power amps, but aren't their pre-amps still tube? If you're exaggerating for effect, then I'm still with you. But I know guys with 40W SS Mustangs that cut through the mix just fine even with an 85W Twin Reverb on the same stage--both unmic'ed.

Enlighten me...

Quote:
And I always aim for what will sound good on it's own - I don't like to ever rely on the PA. It's awesome if it's there, but I base my needs around "will I sound good at a piece of shit backyard/garage gig?". If you're good there, you'll be good anywhere, is my philosophy.

OK. Most of the time I leave the halfstack at home if there's going to be a good PA. I don't have my own no-kidding PA, so if there's no PA at the venue, then we bring along the drummer's 75W/channel keyboard amp and or a 100W powered wedge and she sings thru that.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #16
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitarsh
Well.. technology has come this far.. but are yet to have an affordable trem bridge system that can stay in tune for months and can retune automatically. The guitar's sustain and tone should be close to a fixed bridge's.

Hmmm. The only time I have to retune my Floyd Rose guitars is when I do string changes. Doesn't matter if its a month or several years--they just don't go out of tune, except for temperature changes--but the claw screws fix that easily enough.

Or would you like to be able to do tuning changes on it too? That's one thing they can't do. If it were surface mounted and had a D-Tuna, it could go between standard and Drop-D at a flip of a knob, though.

I've never wanted more sustain out of any of my guitars than what I get. But one of my Floyd Rose-equipped guitars has a Sustainiac (I got it for the harmonic effects) and that will literally sustain until the 9V battery dies out if you let it.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #17
iamcline
Paulitically Correct

Full-featured, full sized heads with interchangeable power sections would be nice. Like say the Randall but instead of pre-map modules....you have power modules? Yeah I know it's a long-shot, but it would be nice.

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
iamcline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #18
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
Maybe not all of us...

The only 300W all SS amps I'm familiar with are bass amps. Now the Marshall Mode IV has 300Wish SS power amps, but aren't their pre-amps still tube? If you're exaggerating for effect, then I'm still with you. But I know guys with 40W SS Mustangs that cut through the mix just fine even with an 85W Twin Reverb on the same stage--both unmic'ed.

Enlighten me...

The big Line 6 amps, the Vettas, HD147 and maybe some of the Flextones? Are 150W-300W. And I've repeatedly read they don't cut through well. Could be user error though. I find it easy to believe because my 75W Vypyr didn't cut through at all, even though 75W is "plenty enough to gig with".

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcline
Full-featured, full sized heads with interchangeable power sections would be nice. Like say the Randall but instead of pre-map modules....you have power modules? Yeah I know it's a long-shot, but it would be nice.

Mesa Road King?

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 03-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #19
Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre1321
...Something that sucks but could be a lot better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux'D
... groupies after every gig. Hot groupies.

I think this pretty much answers your question.
Eastman AR605e
Eastman El Rey 1
National ResoLectric
Alhambra 10p
Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight
Mesa Recording pre/2:100
Mesa Stiletto Deuce
Mesa Studio pre/2:95
THD Univalve
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #20
jetwash69

Quote:
The big Line 6 amps, the Vettas, HD147 and maybe some of the Flextones? Are 150W-300W. And I've repeatedly read they don't cut through well.

OK. I'd only heard good things about the Vettas and the Flextones. I thought they topped out around 150W, but I haven't really paid them much attention.

Quote:
Could be user error though.

Lots of people digging on those scooped mids

Quote:
I find it easy to believe because my 75W Vypyr didn't cut through at all, even though 75W is "plenty enough to gig with".

Fair enough. I'd always chalked that up to the sound guys, but if there's no cab micing/house PA then it's a different ballgame. Makes me wonder though:

- Did you put that combo on a stand or at least tilt it?
- When you say it wasn't cutting through, do you mean you couldn't hear it on stage or do you mean the audience couldn't hear it?
- So many variables...

Rate This Thread: