Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #21
Ruark

Seems like a lot of guitars have trouble with their pots. They don't have enough effect, or they're flimsy or crooked or loose or whatever. Good, solid pots should become an industry standard, even on cheaper guitars. It's time.

Guitars need to stop coming out of the factory with godawful setups, tight nuts, bad pots, etc. Suppose the first thing you had to do when you bought a new car was take it to the garage for a major tuneup and a bunch of adjustments? I mean, really.

All guitars and amps should come with built-in wireless technology. Wireless isn't rocket science any more.

All amps should come with a set of wireless headphones, a built-in compressor, and built-in percussion rhythms for practicing.

Optional neck radiuses. This drives me nuts. I love Fender Thinlines, for example, but can't stand that freaking 7.25" neck radius. I like a flatter radius like the Les Paul or ES335 (usually 12"), but that may be too flat for some people. Different strokes. Guitar makers should offer different radiuses in their guitars just like they offer different colors or pickups.

I could probably come up with some more if I thought about it...
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys

Last edited by Ruark : 03-15-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Ruark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #22
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Amps with built-in attenuation options between the poweramp and the speaker.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #23
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

Oh also how about protection circuits for speaker cabinets so they don't blow when you give them too much power?
And ones for amps that protect it from impedance mismatch?

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #24
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruark
Seems like a lot of guitars have trouble with their pots. They don't have enough effect, or they're flimsy or crooked or loose or whatever. Good, solid pots should become an industry standard, even on cheaper guitars. It's time.

Not gonna happen, electronics are such a great place to cut costs. Say a quality US made pot costs a company buying in bulk 50 cents (which its probably less) and a chinese made pot that is prone to failure costs 10 cents (also probably less) then on ever strat style guitar you sell you've just saved 1.20$. Its all about the benjamins. Remember who most of the people buying these cheap guitars are.

Quote:
Guitars need to stop coming out of the factory with godawful setups, tight nuts, bad pots, etc. Suppose the first thing you had to do when you bought a new car was take it to the garage for a major tuneup and a bunch of adjustments? I mean, really.

Again, its money. A good set up is what, 40 bucks, give or take? Do you want that tacked on to the price, only to find you don't like the way its set up? I understand the car analogy, but for a daily driver you don't need the suspension tuned, the steering ratio adjusted, etc. All you need is to adjust the seat, and that is accomplished by the user. You don't need those fine adjustments on a guitar, but most folks will want them.

Quote:
All guitars and amps should come with built-in wireless technology. Wireless isn't rocket science any more.

Please god no. I can only imagine the garbage involved with a 100 dollar bullet squire with built in wireless. Not to mention, **** wireless. I will never have the urge in my life to use wireless, ever.

Quote:
All amps should come with a set of wireless headphones, a built-in compressor, and built-in percussion rhythms for practicing.

Another, please god no.

Quote:
Optional neck radiuses. This drives me nuts. I love Fender Thinlines, for example, but can't stand that freaking 7.25" neck radius. I like a flatter radius like the Les Paul or ES335 (usually 12"), but that may be too flat for some people. Different strokes. Guitar makers should offer different radiuses in their guitars just like they offer different colors or pickups.

I could probably come up with some more if I thought about it...

Again, money. You don't have to adjust or buy a new machine to put different paint or pickups on, but you need a machine that cuts those radiuses. Again, its all money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander

Too costly and heavy, plus good attenuators suck anyway in my book, can't imagine the junk amp companies would try to pass off as high tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthm_guitarist
Oh also how about protection circuits for speaker cabinets so they don't blow when you give them too much power?
And ones for amps that protect it from impedance mismatch?

Guitar speakers are relatively cheap, which is why they don't have breakers like high end speakers. In the end the cost isn't worth it. Not to mention how often these cabs are driven by tube amps.

The amp protection is more weight and cost that the amp companies aren't going to put into their equipment. Let some dummies break it because they didn't read the manual, we'll sell some replacement transformers to some repair shops they think.

I wanna see more hard tail fender strats personally. I know their are tons of non fender strats with hard tails, but gimme this one.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #25
Blompcube
Registered User Error

I think there needs to be more decent quality, gig-worthy solid state amps available, and they should be more affordable to working musicians.
Musicman HD75
Road Kill Cabs "Stag" 2x12 with Eminence screamin eagles.
Blompcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #26
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i wish there were more $400 tubescreamer clones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #27
gumbilicious
beginner

^+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander

i got one of those, it sucks. i end up always just bypassing the attenuator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
Too costly and heavy, plus good attenuators suck anyway in my book, can't imagine the junk amp companies would try to pass off as high tech.

my THD has one

the coolest thing about it is that it has a dummy load, so you don't have to worry about blowing the OT if you forget to hook a speaker to it.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 03-16-2013 at 11:23 AM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #28
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

I want a perfect intonation pedal. We all know its impossible to have a guitar absolutely perfect with intonation except maybe those special ibanez guitars with the crazy frets. If a pedal could take every note it hears and tune it to be perfect to whatever note its closest too. Then you could maybe use it for alternate tunings. It couldn't go from standard to dropped obviously, but maybe it could drop the whole guitar a half step or full step 2 steps etc
Dan'o EQ: 9/10
Mooer Shimverb: 7/10
Digidelay: 8/10
Peavey Valveking 112 - Jensen MOD speaker: 8/10
tas38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #29
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

there aren't enough boss pedals. we need more
Old 03-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #30
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
^+1

i got one of those, it sucks. i end up always just bypassing the attenuator.

my THD has one

the coolest thing about it is that it has a dummy load, so you don't have to worry about blowing the OT if you forget to hook a speaker to it.

The exception that proves the rule

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #31
kindadumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
I think there needs to be more decent quality, gig-worthy solid state amps available, and they should be more affordable to working musicians.

THIS.

There was a time when The Beatles, The Doors, John Fogerty, Brian May of Queen, Joy Division, Gang of Four, The Smiths, BB King, Tom Morello, (sheesh, even Jimmy Page on "Whole Lotta Love") were not just getting by, but flourishing on tough, durable SS amps with good clean channels. Good luck finding anything like that made in the USA these days as a 1x12 - yeah, the JC120 is amazing, but I don't want to lug that thing around!
kindadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #32
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
there aren't enough boss pedals. we need more

Though to be fair, I appreciate that with their resources, they don't sit and stagnate like Ibanez does. Sure most of the stuff they put out is meh, but at least they're introducing new stuff to the market.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #33
CECamps
Schematic Junkie

In many respects, the MI industry suffers from severe inertia. There is a lot of new ground to be broken (not just with digital technology advancements, but also with straight up analog), but consumer trends in this industry stay centered around what is familiar. Hence, this is why we see so much of the same.

Howdy, my name's Craig.

Member of the GB&C and GG&A "Who to Listen To" lists......listen at your own risk.
CECamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #34
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Somebody giving away CEC Brigands for free - that's what we need.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:56 PM   #35
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92

Though to be fair, I appreciate that with their resources, they don't sit and stagnate like Ibanez does. Sure most of the stuff they put out is meh, but at least they're introducing new stuff to the market.

playing with the display at guitar center is always fun. so many knobs.

what do you mean with the Ibanez bit? like the don't come out with new models or pedals?

^ I agree
Old 03-18-2013, 01:15 AM   #36
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Well Ibanez has a few pedals, but for the most part it's just like "WE ARE IBANEZ. HERE IS TUBESCREAMER". And that's all they really do. Whereas it seems like every year Boss is bringing some new idea to the table, like they just released the MultiOvertone and the Feedbacker/Booster.

Maybe not completely original ideas, but... at least adding more to the selection for someone looking for that kind of thing.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 03-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #37
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

An affordable practice amp that doesn't sound like shit. Vypyr=ass hell if Bose can make a good sounding home stereo system why can I have a decent sounding practice amp.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:56 AM   #38
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by losing battle
Vypyr=ass

Come again?

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 03-18-2013, 02:04 AM   #39
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
Not gonna happen, electronics are such a great place to cut costs. Say a quality US made pot costs a company buying in bulk 50 cents (which its probably less) and a chinese made pot that is prone to failure costs 10 cents (also probably less) then on ever strat style guitar you sell you've just saved 1.20$. Its all about the benjamins. Remember who most of the people buying these cheap guitars are.

Again, its money. A good set up is what, 40 bucks, give or take? Do you want that tacked on to the price, only to find you don't like the way its set up? I understand the car analogy, but for a daily driver you don't need the suspension tuned, the steering ratio adjusted, etc. All you need is to adjust the seat, and that is accomplished by the user. You don't need those fine adjustments on a guitar, but most folks will want them.

Please god no. I can only imagine the garbage involved with a 100 dollar bullet squire with built in wireless. Not to mention, **** wireless. I will never have the urge in my life to use wireless, ever.

Another, please god no.

Again, money. You don't have to adjust or buy a new machine to put different paint or pickups on, but you need a machine that cuts those radiuses. Again, its all money.

Guitar speakers are relatively cheap, which is why they don't have breakers like high end speakers. In the end the cost isn't worth it. Not to mention how often these cabs are driven by tube amps.

The amp protection is more weight and cost that the amp companies aren't going to put into their equipment. Let some dummies break it because they didn't read the manual, we'll sell some replacement transformers to some repair shops they think.

I wanna see more hard tail fender strats personally. I know their are tons of non fender strats with hard tails, but gimme this one.

+3.14159265359 i agree with everything.

my only gripe in addition to that is to have more successful and more competitive mom and pop stores.

there are a few stores around here (two carry just straight up shit) all dean and luna with nothing over $400 (and thats also way overpriced too). the other shitty store carries ibanez, but nothing over $400-$500 and even that is overpriced and all of their accessories/strings, etc are extremely overpriced. $9 for a set of nickle blues d'addarios? i buy by the 10 pack online and i pay $3.50 a pack shipped and don't even have to pay tax.

one is good and the guys are great, but they aren't able to stay competitive. they are frequented by probably twice as much of both of the other stores and have a decent sized area, and decent gear. i will occasionally will stop in if i am looking for something, they do get some decent used gear and it is fairly priced. that is really the only reason i walk in the store.

i know it will never happen, but GC/MF/M123/sweetwater/zzounds will always be cheaper. i have money, but i can't justify paying 10-25% more on everything in one of those shops. money is money. i don't want to spend more than i have to.

but if small businesses could compete, i would be thrilled.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:45 AM   #40
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Come again?

They sound terrible at sane practice volumes and mediocre at band/gigging volumes yeah its better then a spider but let's be honest what amp isn't. My biggest problem is the models are barely in the ballpark of what they are trying to emulate. It's better then many previous offerings for practice amps but I want something a hell of a lot better under 700 USD for home practice. Considering there are a lot of apartment dwelling guitarists I'm supprised this market hasn't taken off yet.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know

Last edited by losing battle : 03-18-2013 at 02:47 AM.
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: