Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-18-2013, 03:22 AM   #41
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by losing battle
They sound terrible at sane practice volumes and mediocre at band/gigging volumes yeah its better then a spider but let's be honest what amp isn't. My biggest problem is the models are barely in the ballpark of what they are trying to emulate. It's better then many previous offerings for practice amps but I want something a hell of a lot better under 700 USD for home practice. Considering there are a lot of apartment dwelling guitarists I'm supprised this market hasn't taken off yet.

there are the 1 watt marshalls (ripoff IMO)
there is IIRC the night train 4W, 1W, .25W
blackstar HT1
orange micro terror (still 20 watts, but has headphone options and audio in)

there are probably more as well, but they are getting better.

i think speaker sensitivity makes a big difference. it is measured (IIRC at 1 meter) away and 1 watt is applied. that can be 100 db, thats still pretty damn loud. there are some speakers down in the lower 90's and maybe some high 80's.

if you want tube it can only be so quiet, even 1 watt is loud dimed.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:26 AM   #42
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Baron Snott Watt.
Roland GP-8
Quadraverb
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:53 AM   #43
Offworld92
One among the fence.

The Vypyr is the best sounding practice modeler on the market. What are you comparing it to? What are you expecting? A Vypyr 30 costs $200 - for that you get 24 FX, 24 amp models that use analog distortion (not digital modeling), USB, 1/8" TRS & MIDI out. $450 gets you all of that as well as a 60W tube poweramp.

What more are you expecting for that price range? What are you pitting it against that you think it sounds worse than?

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and obviously I can't change it, but I've played a ****ton of amps and I believe that what you're saying is just straight up wrong. Terrible at sane practice volumes? Really? The Vypyr has possibly the best volume controls I've ever used.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 POD HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:59 AM   #44
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
The Vypyr is the best sounding practice modeler on the market. What are you comparing it to? What are you expecting? A Vypyr 30 costs $200 - for that you get 24 FX, 24 amp models that use analog distortion (not digital modeling), USB, 1/8" TRS & MIDI out. $450 gets you all of that as well as a 60W tube poweramp.

What more are you expecting for that price range? What are you pitting it against that you think it sounds worse than?

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and obviously I can't change it, but I've played a ****ton of amps and I believe that what you're saying is just straight up wrong. Terrible at sane practice volumes? Really? The Vypyr has possibly the best volume controls I've ever used.

Yes, I can't say the vypyr ever blew me away, but in that range and for what its meant to do, its pretty damn untouchable.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #45
danohana

Test Drives of equipment would be cool. Like a weekend rental of amps, gits, keyboards etc. Manufacturers could offer incentives to dealers to promote test drives of new equipment, co-op insurance on the units, and co-op advertizing.
This way potential buyers would really know what they're getting and be able to make solid informed decisions before they purchase.
Just as an aside, I recently bought a Peavey Vypyr 15 practice amp, love it, the coolest part is that the volume goes up to 13!!!!! I guess they got inspiration from "Spinal Tap".
danohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #46
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

Quote:
I'm waiting for a truly flexible hybrid modeler, then I'll probably have something close to a perfect amp for me. The Vypyr Tube is the closest around, but it's not nearly flexible enough. Something like a POD HD500, with a good tube poweramp like the Vypyr Tube has. Something that incorporates some tubes in the preamp as well like the Spider Valve, but has the flexibility I want (not to mention *good* tone*. )

I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Hopefully.

*Disclaimer: IMO

Line 6 DT series?
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Reincaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #47
AndyGray
UG Addict

Not exactly guitar, but a strobe light that you just plug in & there's a footswitch to turn it on and off.
AndyGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #48
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGray
Not exactly guitar, but a strobe light that you just plug in & there's a footswitch to turn it on and off.

DMX controls.
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Reincaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #49
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

The Strat warble/unfixable buzz. I know the scale length is not right for unwound G's, but come on!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #50
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas38
I want a perfect intonation pedal. We all know its impossible to have a guitar absolutely perfect with intonation except maybe those special ibanez guitars with the crazy frets. If a pedal could take every note it hears and tune it to be perfect to whatever note its closest too. Then you could maybe use it for alternate tunings. It couldn't go from standard to dropped obviously, but maybe it could drop the whole guitar a half step or full step 2 steps etc

It's not a pedal, but you could yank the guts out of the guitar and mount them in an enclosure on your pedalboard if you wanted to:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...CFUWd4AodhXEAdg
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #51
losing battle
UG's Gummy

Is it wrong that I want an amp that actually sounds good at tv volume?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFromTheVoid
I don't want to be under 16 again, though if a sexy horse wondered into my room I'd have a hard time saying neigh
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #52
GABarrie
Call me Gordon

there's plenty of amps that sound great at TV volumes, an amp doesn't have to be cranked to sound great
Archer "Dry Ice" Overdrive
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
GABarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #53
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
It's not a pedal, but you could yank the guts out of the guitar and mount them in an enclosure on your pedalboard if you wanted to:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...CFUWd4AodhXEAdg

That looks very interesting but I just thought of something, what happens when you bend a note in that situation? I would guess once you passed a quarter step it would jump to the next note.

Two cheap amps in tampa area
tas38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #54
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

More guitar design innovation. Still basically playing guitars designed in the 50s, they are said to be the best but meh, the old stuff is great, especially tube stuff that was abandoned long ago by everything else. But I like to see completely new concepts once in a while.

Newer tech could be better to me if quality is there. I'd like to see different neck designs, maybe fretless above the 22 fret for a bit, half strings. half frets, weird stuff, more ergonomic bodies, necks, midi and piezo pups. I saw that one with all the flashing shit that you tap instead of pick, that's at least doing something new.

In reality if I think about it more a good SStrat and FR with a tube amp is about as good as it gets I guess
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #55
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas38
That looks very interesting but I just thought of something, what happens when you bend a note in that situation? I would guess once you passed a quarter step it would jump to the next note.

Look it up on YouTube. They've done some brainstorming on it. GC caries them, so you can check it out for yourself if they aren't sold out.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #56
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I wish there was a better-faster-cheaper way to record.

This is one of the better threads I've seen on here in awhile.

PS: But yeah, for me, the Vypyr filled a gap if you had asked this question 3 years ago.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #57
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
Look it up on YouTube. They've done some brainstorming on it. GC caries them, so you can check it out for yourself if they aren't sold out.

I want this in pedal form now.

Two cheap amps in tampa area
tas38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #58
LaidBack
Call me Mike

More amp designers like that jerk over at CEC. He's crazy...crazy awesome.
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #59
Nico the Great
Damned Icon

Quote:

IMO, the Roland Cube series is the best practice amp series on the market, but that's just me.

Damned Icon - Portraits of a Man EP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Nico the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #60
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincaster
Line 6 DT series?

I was really excited for the DT. I thought that that would be the answer for me.

But unfortunately, it falls completely on it's face for modern (death) metal tones. Which is the primary tone I need.

And this is completely besides the point, but the aesthetics are pretty meh to me. If I was interested in it, I would wish they offered a cab with black grill cloth instead of brown.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 POD HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: