Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

Buying new Gibson In Canada??

So I'm not really in the market for a new guitar, but I've had my eye on a Gibby LP traditional at my local Long and Mcquade for a while now....

I was talking with the sales guy (who knew nothing about guitars ) about the price... The tag said $1700, including the case. I asked him what the price would be if I paid cash, and he said $1700....

I don't think I'm old fasioned our anything, but I have never paid sticker price for a guitar in my life!

After chatting with the guy for a while, he said that its there policy not to haggle, except for price matching.

So I guess I really have two questions:

1. Is it common for most stores these days not to haggle over prices?

I mean, I would understand if it was a $500 guitar, and $1700 may not be a huge investment, but I still see it as a fairly high price to pay for a guitar.

2. Can someone recommend me a place to by a LP? I'm in Saskatoon SK, Canada.

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant, but I thought it was kinda crazy for them not to want to haggle at all.

I'm originally from Newfoundland, and I guess that maybe haggling is more of a common thing back there?

I once see a close friend of mine get a Classic 50 410, with a MXL 2 mic set for $800, just after we saw the kid ahead of him pay $1000 for the amp alone!
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Randall 212+115
Mesa Boogie 212

Check out my band CITIES GATEWAY
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
KenG
"Experienced" not "Old"

Long & McQuade's salespeople are paid salary not commission so they have really no bargaining power, where as if you went to a commission store, the salesperson could opt to lower their commission and thereby reduce the price.
While I'm not sure on USA models, Custom Shop prices are way better in the States and you can save some serious money buying there and shipping it if you bought from a good Vendor. I saved $600 or so on both my R7 & R8 by buying at Eddies Guitars in the US versus the price I'd have paid here.
Gibson CS 2010 R7 Re-Isssue Gold Top
PRS 2013 SE 245 in Tobacco Burst
POD HD500
VOX Valvetronix VT30
KenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

Thanks for the advice!

That does make sense. I'm still pretty new to the city, so I'll have to do some checking around for some smaller stores, that may have some haggling power
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Randall 212+115
Mesa Boogie 212

Old 03-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
Soccerguy
Bloo

Coming from Newfoundland too, I can tell you that the only place I know of that you would be able to manage a haggle was at Griffith's in St. John's. No haggling at L&M or Music City. You could possibly pull it off at O'Briens or Reid's, but I don't know.
I don't really understand why you're so shocked about having to pay full price at a big chain store. You're not going to be able to haggle at Wal-Mart for a TV.
Just as a side note, the salesman might not know anything about guitars because he could actually specialize in another area of the store.
Soccerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

I've managed to haggle at Reids and the L&M in St.Johns that why I couldnt understand their policy.

I've bought a shit ton of gear over the past 13years, some used, but a lot was new, and I've only had to pay full price on a couple of occasions... Thats what I don't get. Not just small stores either.

I bought a P.A system at L&M in St.Johns just 2 years ago, and got something like $200 off of a $1200 system...

Also, I was talking to the drum tech first, he went and got this guys who was supposedly a guitar expert. I also quized him about some pickups and speakers. Judging by the look on his face, it was like I was speaking a different language or something
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Randall 212+115
Mesa Boogie 212

Old 03-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
shredder3386
Lord of the Strings

I've managed to haggle at L&M before but usually I get them to throw in more gear rather than lower the price of the guitar. For instance I bought a $2000 Ibanez and had them throw in a case for free. Also bear in mind L&M throws in a pretty solid warranty, 30 day return policy (which saved my ass many times), and a setup which you might not get at other vendors.

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez S5470F
Ibanez RGD2127fx
Schecter Hellraiser C-7 FR
Axe FX II
Mackie HD1221
shredder3386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Darkflame
officialBOSS pedals hater

1700$ is already a very low price for a Traditional, assuming it's not a trad pro
My band (Facebook)
My band (Bandcamp, free EP)
Darkflame is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: