Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
FirasKordi

Becoming worse

hey everyone , so ive been playing from like 1 year and 7 months ....my technique so far was good and i was satisfied by the progress untill lately (last 2-3 months) i litterly discoverd that am backing down , my sweep picking is now pretty terrible and my downpicking fatigued my hand really fast...as well as playing clean .
plz guys can you give me any advises or telling me whats going on (and nope am not trying to play faster than i did in the last year) ....and my left hand technique is pretty good and am really happy with it , the problem is with the right hand only

Last edited by FirasKordi : 03-17-2013 at 03:58 PM.
FirasKordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

>Analyse your technique
>Find out where your technique is lacking
>Learn how to execute proper technique in that area

If you're not familiar with correct technique, feel free to ask.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

I have stopped practicing my Hetfield-style downpicking and I have slowed down significantly since 2012. I simply found no use for it, and started practicing some other techniques.

It's completely natural, a skill must be practiced regularly in order not to back down.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:01 AM   #4
Archer250

I didn't practice alternate picking and sweep picking in favor of legato for 5 days; it took me 2 days of constant practice to get back to where I was with sweep picking. My alternate picking never quite recovered...

Your skill is like a knife: unless sharpen regularly, it will dull.
Maxon SM9 Pro+
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power ISO5
Dunlop Tortex Picks .88 and 1.00mm
Planet Waves Lock Strap
Archer250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
robertwilliam9

I'd say that ups and downs in your ability is pretty normal. It really takes more like 4 or 5 years before you start to settle into your own style and comfort zones.

One question I think you should be trying to answer at the 1 to 2 year mark is whether or not you lean more towards rhythm or lead guitar.

I don't know enough about what's going on to help you much more than that, but I definitely wouldn't look at this as backwards progress.

Keep after it man, and if sweep picking is getting you down, set it aside and work on something else. I've been playing for 16 years and I'm still terrible at sweep picking haha.
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
guitarchalk.com
robertwilliam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
FirasKordi

am more into rhythm , mostly into Progressive metal (which somehow combines rhythm with lead) ... thats why am trying to develop every aspect to reach the desired level of technique......and guys i am playing everyday , so am not leaving a zone of technique but this backwards progress is really obvious to me , only in my right hand
FirasKordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwilliam9

One question I think you should be trying to answer at the 1 to 2 year mark is whether or not you lean more towards rhythm or lead guitar.

Why is it an or?
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #8
Dreamdancer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer250
I didn't practice alternate picking and sweep picking in favor of legato for 5 days; it took me 2 days of constant practice to get back to where I was with sweep picking. My alternate picking never quite recovered...

Your skill is like a knife: unless sharpen regularly, it will dull.

What you claim is close to impossible.There something that it is as true to guitar playing as it is to sports and that is...muscle memory.IF(big if) you have a skill down and the mechanics of it then you wont lose it even if a couple of years pass let alone days.

Now if you trying to learn many things at the same time and you havent really mastered any of them then yes but then you didnt lose something cause you didnt have it in the first place .
Dreamdancer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamdancer11
What you claim is close to impossible.There something that it is as true to guitar playing as it is to sports and that is...muscle memory.IF(big if) you have a skill down and the mechanics of it then you wont lose it even if a couple of years pass let alone days.

Now if you trying to learn many things at the same time and you havent really mastered any of them then yes but then you didnt lose something cause you didnt have it in the first place .

Yeah, I was wondering how you lose a mastered or even a skill you are competent at that quickly.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #10
Archer250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowofravenwo
Yeah, I was wondering how you lose a mastered or even a skill you are competent at that quickly.

Because I haven't "mastered" or even become competent at it yet, of course.
Maxon SM9 Pro+
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power ISO5
Dunlop Tortex Picks .88 and 1.00mm
Planet Waves Lock Strap
Archer250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #11
sea`

The answer is: we all get times where we are very fluid and successful with certain techniques, and other times where we just can't manage them well. Often this will change on a day to day basis, and I find that when practicing sometimes I'll have a bad day and sometimes I'll have a great day where I can play way better than normal. It happens, and it's as much mental as it is physical fatigue and confidence.

The fact is that if you can't sweep as well or do downstrokes as fast after a few days/week of not using them, to be honest, you probably were not very good to begin with, certainly not good enough to become fully entrenched into your muscle memory. When you stop having to really think about a technique and can do it even under the worst circumstances, then you can confidently say you know it well; otherwise you're still learning.

The difference between an amateur and a professional is that a professional can play all his/her material perfectly under any situation, whether that's on a different instrument, different venue, while sick or with a headache, etc. One you acknowledge you still have to work on your playing then you can focus on improving and becoming more consistent, instead of focusing on the negative.
sea` is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: