User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-18-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
allen4all

Bla-bla-bla Decision time - Jumbo frets and regular frets

Hello all,

Newbie here.

I have been playing guitar for a while now and I'm quite used to the more rounded fretboard with medium frets.

I wanted to get a guitar with jumbo frets and went into the store and tried out an Ibanez S series with jumbo frets. I found it very different to play.

Now the questions I have are these..

Do all guitars with jumbo frets come with a flat fret board?

I also felt that the distance between the strings were a lot more than my current guitar. Is that how it is normally with jumbo fretted guitars?

I measured the fret boards and both fretboards are 58mm at the 24th fret. So why do I feel that the distance between the strings are more than normal.

Thank you in advance for your inputs. I need to buy a guitar based on your inputs.
Al
allen4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:29 AM   #2
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Fret size, fretboard radius and neck width (which is better measured at the nut, no the 24th fret) are all independent of each other. It just so happens that Ibanez guitars typically feature extra-wide necks, extra-large frets and an extra-flat radius.

You can get any mix of specification, just look at other brands. Ibanez has their way, every other brand has their own way.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:53 AM   #3
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Fret size, fretboard radius and neck width (which is better measured at the nut, no the 24th fret) are all independent of each other. It just so happens that Ibanez guitars typically feature extra-wide necks, extra-large frets and an extra-flat radius.

You can get any mix of specification, just look at other brands. Ibanez has their way, every other brand has their own way.

This is very true.

Taller frets usually require a lighter touch, just keep that in mind. Ideally you should be using the lightest touch possible, its just good technique.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
J_W

Extra jumbo's feel like speed bumps when you slide. It took me a while to get used to.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:34 AM   #5
allen4all

Thank you for your feedback mates!!

I was looking to get the jumbo frets for getting a really low action and also for easier bends and vibrato.

Why do the strings feel as if they are far away from each other? Is that because of the flat fret board?

I will probably go into a store and give this another try. Otherwise its back to the drawing board.

Are there any other options for getting a light touch (very low action) and easy to bend/vibrato? I have considered going with 8s but they start losing tone quality. I like my 9-42s.

Thanks!!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:42 AM   #6
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

The only factor the frets pose on the action is how level they are. The size of the frets doesn't affect how low you can get the action.

The strings feel far apart because its a wider fretboard.

Best is subjective. Whichever you prefer is best.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #7
AndyGray
UG Addict

I went from heavily worn frets on my MIM strat to XL frets on my ESP. Took me months to get used to them as I was always a very heavy played (really hammering the fret board). I play a lot lighter now.
AndyGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
allen4all

Thank you Kevin and Andy...

I will take your advice on actually playing on the guitar and feeling which one works better for me rather than using science and numbers.

Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers!!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Good deal. Science is a good thing, but it always strives for objectivity. Most things in the guitar world are very subjective. Until you know which you prefer neither is better than the other.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

Rate This Thread: