Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 03-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
shadow_play702
feelin irie!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Custom OLP MM1 build Floyd Rose question!

Hey everyone! So, to cut to the chase, I have completely refurbished an OLP MM1. New paint, new pups, new bridge/trem (w/ steel tone block and steel saddles), EVH vol. pot, new switch, locking tuners... Anywho! I dont want to go through the trouble of putting on a new FR system on it (for various reason), but I do think I want to put the FR headstock retainer bar on it.

Does anyone think this would be a good idea?

I understand how string trees and retainer bars work, and I think this would help improve the overall sustain and tuning stability of the guitar. (plus I think it would also look cool lol)

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks everyone!

PS: I'll also post pics of it, as soon as I can figure out how... lol
__________________
MY GEAR:
97 Fender American-made Big Apple Strat
02 Gibson Les Paul Studio Platinum edt.
01 Marshall AVT150 full stack
all ran through my Boss GT10

...and lovin every second of it
shadow_play702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
sytharnia1560
I hate sanding
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: pukekawa. new zealand
so it has a v/trem??????......personally I wouldn't put a bar there (or string trees) I think it would just add another variable for tuning problems. My mm1 is v/trem ans I just removed 4 of the screws (so now it pivots off 2), made sure there was no sticking at the nut and the saddles and the tuning stability is damn near perfect
sytharnia1560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:25 AM   #3
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
If you don't have a locking nut, then don't use string retainers.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
shadow_play702
feelin irie!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
I always use graphite from a #2 pencil in all my guitars' nuts (hahaha that made me giggle), so I dont ever get any string pop. My tuning stability is pretty damn good already, because of the locking tuners. And, I know that you shouldnt fix something that isnt broken, but I actually think this could work out for the better. Ill never know unless i try! plus, its not like I wont be able to take it off and fill the holes. Ill let everyone know how it goes.
__________________
MY GEAR:
97 Fender American-made Big Apple Strat
02 Gibson Les Paul Studio Platinum edt.
01 Marshall AVT150 full stack
all ran through my Boss GT10

...and lovin every second of it
shadow_play702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_play702
I always use graphite from a #2 pencil in all my guitars' nuts (hahaha that made me giggle), so I dont ever get any string pop. My tuning stability is pretty damn good already, because of the locking tuners. And, I know that you shouldnt fix something that isnt broken, but I actually think this could work out for the better. Ill never know unless i try! plus, its not like I wont be able to take it off and fill the holes. Ill let everyone know how it goes.

A floyd rose string retainer is there to prevent the strings from going sharp when you tighten down the locking nut. It's not there to improve sustain.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
shadow_play702
feelin irie!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
A floyd rose string retainer is there to prevent the strings from going sharp when you tighten down the locking nut. It's not there to improve sustain.

I, sir, am going to have to disagree with you. While it is TRUE that its there to prevent the strings from going sharp when you tighten down the locking nut, I plan on using this like a string tree. String trees DO improve tuning stability AND SUSTAIN. The added pressure on the nut gives your strings more 'umph', if you will. Allowing it to vibrate MORE and give you MORE sustain. Ive seen some one else do this same mod to a OLPMM1 w/vintage trem. It looked SICK. and he never once mentioned that it was a terrible idea.
__________________
MY GEAR:
97 Fender American-made Big Apple Strat
02 Gibson Les Paul Studio Platinum edt.
01 Marshall AVT150 full stack
all ran through my Boss GT10

...and lovin every second of it
shadow_play702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Robbgnarly
Registered User
 
Robbgnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSB, FL
Why not get roller trees?
It will make tuning better, and because they are roller tree's the string will not bind at all.



And if you already know someone who has done this and you want to do it, why make a tread about it and then get huffed when people tell you what they think?
__________________
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_play702
I, sir, am going to have to disagree with you. While it is TRUE that its there to prevent the strings from going sharp when you tighten down the locking nut, I plan on using this like a string tree. String trees DO improve tuning stability AND SUSTAIN. The added pressure on the nut gives your strings more 'umph', if you will. Allowing it to vibrate MORE and give you MORE sustain. Ive seen some one else do this same mod to a OLPMM1 w/vintage trem. It looked SICK. and he never once mentioned that it was a terrible idea.

The string retainer adds one more point of contact to the string, thus compromising the tuning stability. Ideally, you want as few of contact as possible. It absolutely will not improve the tuning stability one bit, and it may even make it worse. I don't know how you can assert such a claim without justify it. Why do you believe it will improve the tuning stability?
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:50 AM   #9
sytharnia1560
I hate sanding
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: pukekawa. new zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
The string retainer adds one more point of contact to the string, thus compromising the tuning stability. Ideally, you want as few of contact as possible. It absolutely will not improve the tuning stability one bit, and it may even make it worse. I don't know how you can assert such a claim without justify it. Why do you believe it will improve the tuning stability?


agree with all of this
sytharnia1560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
shadow_play702
feelin irie!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
lol all i said was that i disagree with him. and others opinions is why i made this post. disagreements can happen. :P

Ive been experimenting with 3 of my guitars for a while now by taking off their string trees and seeing how they play/sound with or without them on. As far as playability, there is no difference. but as far as tone and tuning stability goes, they have both gone out of the window on the higher strings. tone is thin and whimpy and if i want to dig in with some bends, there goes my tuning. but, when they are put back on, im back to loving what im playing, and none of that is an issue. i also use graphite on all of my guitars nuts to help insure proper string tension on both sides of the nut at all times. and the reason i dont want to go with roller string trees is that im not exactly sure what the measurements would be on where attach them to a 4x2 headstock.

but i DO appreciate everyone's responses. dont think im getting all pissy when i disagree. :P disagreements happen all the time, they are what open our minds to new possibilities and ways of thinking.
__________________
MY GEAR:
97 Fender American-made Big Apple Strat
02 Gibson Les Paul Studio Platinum edt.
01 Marshall AVT150 full stack
all ran through my Boss GT10

...and lovin every second of it
shadow_play702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:17 AM   #11
sytharnia1560
I hate sanding
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: pukekawa. new zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_play702
lol all i said was that i disagree with him. and others opinions is why i made this post. disagreements can happen. :P

Ive been experimenting with 3 of my guitars for a while now by taking off their string trees and seeing how they play/sound with or without them on. As far as playability, there is no difference. but as far as tone and tuning stability goes, they have both gone out of the window on the higher strings. tone is thin and whimpy and if i want to dig in with some bends, there goes my tuning. but, when they are put back on, im back to loving what im playing, and none of that is an issue. i also use graphite on all of my guitars nuts to help insure proper string tension on both sides of the nut at all times. and the reason i dont want to go with roller string trees is that im not exactly sure what the measurements would be on where attach them to a 4x2 headstock.



the roller ones are great until you need to oil them and then they are a pain just like all the rest.....

I find it interesting that you felt/heard a difference with the trees there.......I have never really taken much notice of it, but I do have a couple of guitars that probably do need them but I have always just wound a bit more string at the machinehead to get a bigger angle, might have to try some trees to see if it makes much difference to my ears
sytharnia1560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
You may have imagined the tuning stability becoming worse when you removed the string trees. Not trying to be a dick, but your anecdote does not match the reality of the situation. However, it is possible that some of factor played a part, like perhaps your nut wasn't cut to well and removing the string tree magnified the poorly cut nut's negative properties somehow.

Graphite does help, but using a better system will always be more helpful.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:04 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.