Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
MightySumo
I love lamp

Evertune bridges. Best thing since sliced bread?

I've been doing a little research on these since seeing them featured in a few youtube videos and I've noticed them popping up more and more. I just don't know how to feel about this bridge system because of all the little springs and moving parts and such. I guess I'm a less is more kind of guy but can this thing really be the guitar's reckoning?

Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
MightySumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
gregs1020
Hi mom!

sliced bread = way overrated.

on topic though, do the guitars have to be routed out? i got to 4 min and bailed.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
MightySumo
I love lamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
sliced bread = way overrated.

on topic though, do the guitars have to be routed out? i got to 4 min and bailed.

Yeah, all guitars that have to be retrofitted need a huge amount of work. Which is why I'm skeptical because all the guitars featuring them factory installed are $1000+
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
MightySumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
Raster
~.~

I've seen them on some custom guitars from big names out there, and if it's good enough for Satriani, it's good enough for me!
They are installed by specialized tech's, so I guess that your guitar will be ok in their hands.
So far I haven't heard anyone complaining yet.

How can we define insanity?
Flappy Paddle Gearbox!
Raster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
zl1288

I think it's a really cool technology and apparently it works very well. I just don't really see this as a viable replacement bridge, the cost is very high and it's a pretty intrusive modification to fit it to your guitar. It looks like it would cost $500+ to buy & have one installed on your guitar.

They do sell guitars with the bridge installed on their website, and the prices seem to be pretty decent (especially considering the cost of the bridge/installation). http://www.evertune.com/evertuned-guitars-for-sale-3/
zl1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
Roc8995

"No complaints" is kind of a weak argument for something that barely anyone owns. The fact that a bunch of pros 'use' (read: own) it doesn't tell me anything, other than that maybe they're getting it for free and are willing to try anything new and interesting.

This same thing happened with AxCent a few years ago - Jimmy Page had one, Van Halen had one, Joe Perry had one, but as it turns out it was stupid expensive and you had to route out half the guitar, and even when Gibson made a cheaper version and built it into their production guitars they couldn't give the things away. And everyone at the time thought, oh god, this is the future of the guitar, kids will never learn how to tune an instrument, your guitar is going to stop working halfway through a gig for a software update, etc etc - and it never happened. So I don't put much stock in the "X guy uses it, I've only heard good things" for a product that nobody's ever used in the wild before.

On the other hand - LTD is coming out with an Evertune EC-1000, and it's not that expensive. Hopefully they'll start showing up at Guitar Centers so people can try them out. I think it's an interesting idea and if they got the execution right it should be a great product.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...CFY4WMgodTg0AAQ
Old 03-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus

I think that Evertune is a cool little invention.
Played a couple of VGS guitars with those installed in a shop when testing amps and stuff.
It's cool because you can be pretty sure that the guitar is in tune, which most of the other guitars in the shop were not.

Anyway, I thought it was a cool feature and it really didn't feel weird to play on or anything, so basically I say it's cool.

Would it be the main selling point for me when buying a new guitar though?
Nope.
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
JesusCrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
Zigioman

I think the robot tuning system is more effective than this but they are both trying to fix a problem that doesn't need to be fixed. tuning is important for developing ones ear musically

And coke.
Zigioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigioman
I think the robot tuning system is more effective than this but they are both trying to fix a problem that doesn't need to be fixed. tuning is important for developing ones ear musically

I dont think these are meant for your everyday bedroom guitarist, but for professionals dragging their instruments from gig to another and worry if their guitar goes out of tune between or during gigs.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Seems like a very expensive alternative to learning how wind strings and set up your tremolo properly.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
I dont think these are meant for your everyday bedroom guitarist, but for professionals dragging their instruments from gig to another and worry if their guitar goes out of tune between or during gigs.

It seems like these things are being marketed to everyone, but they really do only seem practical for a touring guitarist. For a bedroom player and recording, it seems like a huge hassle and a serious waste of money.

And I hope all of the people that hate Floyds aren't supporting these things because they look to be much harder to setup.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #12
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySumo
Yeah, all guitars that have to be retrofitted need a huge amount of work. Which is why I'm skeptical because all the guitars featuring them factory installed are $1000+

yeah screw that then. i'll stick to the usual suspects.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Chappers is a massive fan unsurprisingly...... So I'm out.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:48 AM   #14
Darkdevil725
UG Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G

And I hope all of the people that hate Floyds aren't supporting these things because they look to be much harder to setup.

I support these things fullly. If I had the money I would buy the MH1000 they are advertising on preorder that comes with this.

Also here is Keith Merrow using,abusing, restringing his. Looks pretty simple.

My site for helping those with a low budget find good gear.
Best Budget Guitarist
Also my bad youtube channel.
Guess That Riff
Darkdevil725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:33 AM   #15
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

Im sold. I want one so bad.
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #16
sea`

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
Seems like a very expensive alternative to learning how wind strings and set up your tremolo properly.

You do realize Evertune isn't a tremolo right? It's a fixed bridge which keeps perfect tuning.

Advantages:

- strings will NEVER go out of tune because their tension is equalized by spring tension, even if the neck moves, you bash the headstock, humidity changes, you tug hard on the strings, etc.
- string changes are very fast because no string stretching is required and you can tune without requiring any sort of fine-tuning, as the springs will "lock" in place when you get to the general vicinity of required tension

Disadvantages:

- cost
- possibly looks
- maybe don't want to install it on an existing guitar

I agree with what some others are saying in that this is a bridge fully targeted at professional musicians whose gear gets tortured by the road and gigging conditions, not your average home player. A well-made guitar strung properly shouldn't be going out of tune anyway unless you do something stupid, and in that respect there's nothing wrong with existing options. But, in the studio, where you want tuning to be identical between tracks and songs, or when you don't want to have to set up your guitar after getting to every venue? Evertune is a pretty great solution.
sea` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #17
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

I think it looks great. Fantastic, actually. Way better than the insubstantial look of a plain jane wilkinson bridge and much better than the cluttered mess of a floyd. Looks clean and elegant, almost. If i can find one, im snagging it.
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #18
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
Chappers is a massive fan unsurprisingly...... So I'm out.

I want to find something he won't shill. I don't care what, just something. I want to go down in the history books as "that guy that found the one product Chappers badmouthed."

Anyhoo.

I've tired a guitar with an Evertune system. I stress, one guitar. I wouldn't like to pass judgement on the system just yet.

However, for what little it is worth, that one guitar didn't seem to hold tune any better than a typical locking/fine tuning system, the tone was more brittle than one of those 2TEK bridges, I've never heard a guitar with less sustain on open strings and it felt very uncomfortable under the hand. All of which lines up with my theory (stress: my theory) that the simpler you make the bridge the fuller tone, sustain and plain comfort you get (god bless tune-o-matics); the more complicated you make it, the more you lose.

I usually like to try something three or four times before writing it off (exception: Stetsbar, **** that mess), but so far I'm 1/3 in and it's not looking good.

And yes, personally I'd rather go with a Robot, Mini-E Tune or even that Peavey auto-tune guitar thing. Hell, gimmie a JTV Variax.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #19
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

At this point in the game, adoption just seems to be the issue. I don't think I'd ever want to replace route an existing guitar for this bridge, unless it was some really pricey guitar that would make a 500+ dollar install worth it. So that pretty much leaves the manufacturers in a position where they need to start offering evertune models. Everything I've heard and seen about these looks great and the setup isn't hard at all, no harder than a Floyd (which still bugs me because I prefer setting up a Floyd to a regular fixed bridge myself), so the added benefit of the system looks great. I just wish they could build a model that would fit as a drop in for existing trem cavities, though that would appear pretty difficult to pull off, especially with all of the mechanical gizmos they have going on in there. Very cool though, and any new device that offers such stability is a plus in my book.
Peavey 5150 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #20
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdevil725
I support these things fullly. If I had the money I would buy the MH1000 they are advertising on preorder that comes with this.

Also here is Keith Merrow using,abusing, restringing his. Looks pretty simple.

Kieth didn't do a setup on it, he swapped another set of the same exact strings. He even says that in the video. Have you seen the back of a guitar with this bridge?

Yeah, if you dislike setting up a Floyd, then you're gonna hate this thing.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: